Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   World of Farland (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Thoughts on Existing Farland Rules (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=12444)

Sithobi1 Feb 23 '07 11:57am

Thoughts on Existing Farland Rules

The thoughts of an insomniac. Take them with a large salt lick.
FeatsArcane Thriftiness
Does the cost in time and XP also decrease?

Armor Focus
This should probably have a prerequisite: Proficiency in Light Armor. Also, specifying that any benefits(ACP reduction, half the time to wear) only apply to armor that you're proficient in.

Ranged Sneak Attack
This should probably include all forms of precision-based damage, like Sudden Strike and Skirmish. It could be renamed something like "Ranged Precision", but that conflicts with the 10th level ability of the Order of the Bow Initiate... "Distant Precision"? Is it intended to stack with existing feats/abilities that increase the range of precision-based damage? If so, I'd word it like..."You may deliver precision-based damage(such as sneak attack or skirmish damage) from 15 feet farther than normal."

Shield Master
I'm very uncomfortable with this feat, both because of the way it's worded and the incredible bonuses granted by cover. First, since there is no Fighting Defensively action, you either mean the Total Defense action(seems easy to confuse them) or Fighting Defensively during a full attack or a standard action attack.
If it is the former, it is much less broken than the latter, but you should still specify several things that are missing..."When taking the Total Defense action and wearing a shield, you may gain cover from a single opponent of your choice for 1 round." Remember that cover gives an extra +4 to AC, prevents AoOs, and gives a +2 to some Reflex saves.

Shield Grand Master
Pretty much the same concerns as above.

Tower Shield Adaptation
If you're using a Tower Shield with throwing daggers...what happens? I'm not sure of the balance of this feat, because Tower Shields are so versatile, but it does require either a level dip into Fighter or taking Tower Shield Proficiency.

Skillful
I just don't like the wording on this feat. "Those skills become class skills for all of your classes."

SpellsAdroitness
"or until discharged" should be added to the duration in place of (see text). You could probably increase the cap to a +10 and the duration to 10 minutes/level or hours/level. Judging from similar spells like Improvisation(which is much more versatile at 1st level, though shorter in duration) or Divine Insight(hours/level, higher cap, higher starting bonus, 2nd level), it would not be overpowered, especially since the subject of the spell doesn't get to choose when to use it. If forced to make a check early, the bonus might be wasted.

Amnesia
The spell looks great, except for a few things. "Rogue", not "thief". And the disparity in class abilities is odd. A cleric or wizard can't use any, but a barbarian can? A blanket rule regarding all class abilities would probably be a better idea. Also, Remove Curse is lower level than Break Enchantment. I'd mention that Dispel Magic does not work, but Break Enchantment does, and probably not Remove Curse. You might also want Heal to work; compare to Feeblemind which has some similarities, but is a 5th level spell.

Anti-fly Field
The name sounds a bit awkward. How about "Flight Suppression"? It's really closer to Antimagic Field than Dispel Magic. The range is smaller than the area...Actually, the whole spell needs a rewrite. By the way, why does it not extend to the ethereal plane?
Flight Suppression FieldFlight Suppression Field
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components:V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: See Text
Area: 50 ft.+10 ft/level radius emanation
Duration: 1 hr./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell is a very specialized version of Antimagic Field. It affects an area centered within close range(25ft. +5ft./2 caster levels) and is immovable once cast; the spell prevents magical flight or levitation within the hemisphere of effect. The flight suppression field will remove or prevent flight from spells, magic items, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities, but not extraordinary or normal flight, even from a magically summoned or polymorphed creature. Any magical effect causing flight that enters the area or is present when the spell is cast is subject to an effect similar to a targeted Dispel Magic. The flight suppression field makes a dispel check(1d20 + caster level, maximum + 10). The DC is 11 + the caster level of the magical effect (spell-like and supernatural abilities usually have a caster level equal to the creature's hit dice). If it succeeds on a particular check, that spell is dispelled(A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired); if you fail, that spell remains in effect. If the object targeted is a magic item, it makes a dispel check against the item’s caster level. If it succeeds, all the item’s magical properties are suppressed for the duration of the spell or until removed from the field, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect. An effect that leaves and reenters the field is subject to another dispel check. An effect which was not successfully dispelled is unaffected until it leaves the area and reenters. The effect does not extend into the ethereal plane.
Material Component: A tiny vial of tar or molasses.

Bind Weapon
This spell shouldn't have a Target: entry, since it already has Effect: Ray. The AC of any held item is usually 10+Holder's Dex bonus+Size mod, per the Sunder rules, so that's a bit odd. Magical weapons should probably provide a bonus on the Strength check...+2 per point of enhancement bonus? I think you mean "improvised weapons" there.

Carpet of Flame
The area should be "One 5ft. square/level". The damage is very high for a Conjuration effect, and one that has a duration. In fact, it should probably be Evocation instead of Conjuration, and possibly 5th level instead of 4th. You should specify that the save is made each round at the beginning of their turn, and whether or not a character can catch on fire from it. Since it's a noninstantaneous magical fire, it would cause people to make additional reflex saves to keep from catching on fire unless stated otherwise. The wording for changing the area is a bit fuzzy... how about, "Once per round as a move action, the caster may choose up to two 5ft squares in the area that are removed from the spell's area and the same number of 5ft squares adjacent to the area, which are included in the area. Fires start or go out as appropriate." Still not as good as I'd like it, but I think it conveys the meaning a little better(unless the meaning is the original impression I got from the spell, which was that the area moves while retaining the exact same shape). By the way, minor nitpick: Fire is a descriptor, not a subschool, which means that it should be [fire].

Energy Infusion
It looks good, but a little weak compared to other 5th level spells. I'd give it minutes/level duration.

Imbued Orb
You should clarify that you need to know the spell if you are a sorcerer. Perhaps you should also just say, "Ray of Frost, Disrupt Undead and Acid Splash automatically affect the foe, while the target recieves the normal saving throw against Daze and Flare. (The save DC is that of the cantrip, not this spell.)"

Lag Behind
Does this cause the creature's initiative to "wrap around" somehow? If so, that should be explicitly stated, because that's not how initiative normally works. Otherwise, I think it could stand to be Medium range instead of Close. It's not that powerful. Daze is more powerful in most situations.

Soul Transference
It seems more like an RP spell than one that will be used in an actual game, but...
Anyway, you should clarify what "bestows" means. Is the item itself using those skills, or does it simply impart the ability magically to anyone who carries it? In that case, it only helps those less skilled or knowledgeable than the original soul. Is that the intent? If it is the item that can use skills, perhaps giving advice and thus a +2 aid, you should watch for True Strike for free every round. The cost for the spell is very high, prohibitively so, and you may want to reduce it somewhat. ECL doesn't really come in points, so I'd replace that with "XP Cost: 200 times subject's ECL". Why is there a (ritual) tag there? Is that a new subschool of Transmutation? Is it a new descriptor?

Telekinetic Explosion
The only thing I can see here is a bit of clunky wording. "You can choose which creatures in the area are affected and which are not, although you must be able to see target each creature you wish not to affect to exclude from the effect."

Weight of the World
I still don't like this spell, since it is high level yet will probably affect only a small portion of the enemies the typical adventurers will encounter. However, I also firmly believe that encumbrance due to weight is a horrible idea, and should be RPed at best. Anyway, I still think that the spell could affect anyone carrying gear without resorting to those rules... Anyone wearing armor or more than 5 pounds of items on their body but not in their hands is slowed. In that incarnation, it would be quite a bit weaker than Slow, so it could be a 10 or 20 foot burst, or 1 target/2 levels, no more than 30 feet apart.

Farland Feb 23 '07 12:34pm

Sith, thanks for your comments. They are very useful, and you bring up very good points. I can use some of your suggestions verbatim, so look for a change in the next few days. :^^:

Sithobi1 May 31 '07 4:31am

Edited initial post with spells.

Farland May 31 '07 12:31pm

Excellent comments yet again, Sith. Changes will be made.

Farland Jun 21 '07 4:09pm

Okay, Sith, I made the changes. You were right that Lag Behind was pretty crappy, so I rewrote it. Here's the new version. Let me know what you think:

Lag Behind
Enchantment (Compulsion)
[Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: 1 creature/2 levels up to a max of 4
Duration: 2d4 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell resistance: Yes

This spell is similar to but less powerful than Confusion. If the subject fails his Will save he is magically confused and delays his turn until all other combatants have acted. Thus he drops to the bottom of the initiative order and always goes last in the round; he is unable to ready an action. Each round, as a swift action at the start of his turn, the subject can attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. If the save succeeds, the subject can then act normally.

Material Component: A small copper disk

Sithobi1 Jun 1 '08 11:33pm

White Mint: This should probably be 5-10 gold silver more, since a Cure Light Wounds potion is 50 [units], and this heals, on average, 1 hp less than a potion(4.5 vs 5.5, assuming CL 1 potion and healing time of 1d4+2 hours). The remaining difference in cost can be justified by White Mint being unusable in combat, but in my experience, in-combat healing through consumables is rare and usually a waste of an action.

Half-Oluk Orc:
This, like the vast majority of LA races out there, is not worth +1 LA. You get +1 to attack and damage over a core LA+0 race, and lose the attack right away from BAB. The HP is similar, due to the Toughness feat as currently implemented in the Farland world, and the number of feats are the same(assuming a Fighter level, as that's the favored class), but Endurance is hardly a feat most would choose. I'd increase the Str bonus even more and add a dex or con bonus, or remove the Toughness feat, add a penalty to interaction skill checks, and call it LA +0.

Toughness:
Probably too good for barbarians at first level, and too bad for anyone at mid-high levels. I'd recommend Improved Toughness becoming Toughness, then a new Improved Toughness feat, adding 3+HD HP, or something to that effect.

Farland Jun 2 '08 1:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sithobi1 (Post 1084299)
White Mint: This should probably be 5-10 gold silver more, since a Cure Light Wounds potion is 50 [units], and this heals, on average, 1 hp less than a potion(4.5 vs 5.5, assuming CL 1 potion and healing time of 1d4+2 hours). The remaining difference in cost can be justified by White Mint being unusable in combat, but in my experience, in-combat healing through consumables is rare and usually a waste of an action.

I think you're right about this, and I've changed it.

Quote:

Half-Oluk Orc:
This, like the vast majority of LA races out there, is not worth +1 LA. You get +1 to attack and damage over a core LA+0 race, and lose the attack right away from BAB. The HP is similar, due to the Toughness feat as currently implemented in the Farland world, and the number of feats are the same(assuming a Fighter level, as that's the favored class), but Endurance is hardly a feat most would choose. I'd increase the Str bonus even more and add a dex or con bonus, or remove the Toughness feat, add a penalty to interaction skill checks, and call it LA +0.
Good points. I've added a CON bonus.

Quote:

Toughness:
Probably too good for barbarians at first level, and too bad for anyone at mid-high levels. I'd recommend Improved Toughness becoming Toughness, then a new Improved Toughness feat, adding 3+HD HP, or something to that effect.
Where is improved toughness?

BTW, thanks for the comments.

Sithobi1 Jun 2 '08 3:18am

It's in Complete Warrior. +1 HP/HD, req: +2 base fort.

Squeak Jun 2 '08 4:35am

Isn't toughness used as a prerequisite to a few feats? We'd need to be careful that we don't make other feats too attractive by making the prerequistes more 'worthwhile' -- although I agree as it is the feat is pretty wimpy.

Also - don't forget kobold's get toughness as a racial feat. If this feat changes, that should change to +3 hit points at level 1 (more would be too overpowering)

So -- by saying 3+HD HP -- does that mean you are suggesting 15 hit points for a barbarian? Seems overpowered to me. How about plus 1hp per level? Would be worth taking for wiz/sorc.

Sithobi1 Jun 2 '08 5:21am

I was saying +3 HP, and hit dice # HP, or in other words, 1 HP/HD.