Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   Non Sequitur (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6826)
-   -   Top 3 books or series you discovered for yourself (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=178518)

prof cephalopod Aug 1 '12 7:57pm

Top 3 books or series you discovered for yourself

What I mean is what 3 books or series of books have you discovered without being recommended them. As in on your own, and when you finished you were like hot damn that was unexpectedly good. I'm asking for contemporary works, that you've Enjoyed here not that were great or critical works of fiction, just that you enjoyed them alot.

Thanks in advance, as with my last post no particular order top 3 list titles and author. Leave justification and critiques to subsequent posts.

1.)The Kingkiller Chronicle, "The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear" - Patrick Rothfuss

2.)The First Law trilogy, " The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, The Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie

3.)The Mortal Coils series, "Mortal Coils, and All That Lives Must Die" - Eric Nylund

That's mine I guess because I found them Myself, where as most of what I read I get recommended from kne source pr another. So these were personal "Hoorah's" if you will.

Flying Dutchman Aug 1 '12 8:17pm

• Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
  • Lies of Locke Lemora - Scott Lynch
  • American Gods - Neal Gaiman

The Ryira Revelations gets my honorable mention for this one, and Way of Kings by Sanderson.

TanaNari Aug 1 '12 8:25pm

1) Ender's Game. And the first three sequels that were out when I found it. I was like 12 or 13 at the time. Hadn't even HEARD of Card before. There was 4 of them at the time, but yeah.

2) Galactic Center Saga. Stumbled across "Great Sky River" and snagged it on title alone. Native American name for the Milky Way. So much nicer than the European version. And a damn good book to boot. The whole series is brilliant, really.

3) I don't think I have a "third" that I can think of. Most of my reading are generally classics and must read authors that I already know rock so much. Or books I discovered through recommendations and/or reputations.

Can I count The Classic World of Darkness Games as a "series of books"? Even stripped of all the game mechanics, there's a lot of truly interesting content in those books... and most are, if not brilliant, at least well worth the read.

prof cephalopod Aug 1 '12 8:29pm

I'll accept it sir for fluff alone all awesome rpg books count.

And I wish I could have discovered American gods for myself wow that would have been epic. I'd have told everyone about it. . . . Ooooh wait I already did.

Same with Enders and Dresden. Congrats to you for A.) not having any connection to people with awesome taste or discerning media outlets( not meant as a dig honostly I wish I had the oportunity to discover more for Myself) B.) being able to share the wonders of great books with others post discovery.

Sintaqx Aug 1 '12 8:43pm

1) Dragonriders of Pern series - Anne McCaffery. Saw Dragondawn on a table in my middle school library and was intrigued.

2) Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan. Visiting my grandparents I needed something to read and found Eye of the World on a bookshelf. 3 months later I was stuck waiting for Book 10. :)

3) Hyperspace - Michio Kaku, Lionel Fanthorpe. Wandering a bookstore one day I found this gem. Call it science fiction, or theoretical physics, it's a darn fun book if you like that kinda thing.

4) (bonus round) Spellfire - Ed Greenwood. This is the book that introduced me to the Forgotten Realms.

prof cephalopod Aug 1 '12 8:48pm

Duuude, I don't know how I forgot the wheel of time you'll never believe the way I found this book. I was in the 3rd grade and I was playing in my babysitters backyard and she had an old desk near her garage and within the desk I found this mysterious book with no cover. I read it and my life was changed.

It was like fate. So awesome too bad he was sooooo long winded. And I love Sanderson but I still have yet to bring myself to read the last book.

Kerim Aug 1 '12 9:00pm

Dresden Files

Arthemis Fowl

Ranger's apprentice

I could list many of them (this is the truth: I have finished reading at least 3/4 of the books in two libraries (one was the one from the school, okay, but still pretty large.), but you said three, and those I think are the best that I found for myself, and aren't seriously overhyped. (Harry Potter. And twilight wasn't that bad either. (yes, I am a guy, no, I am not gay) As long as you think not of them as vampires and stuff, it is actually a very readable book)

prof cephalopod Aug 1 '12 9:15pm

I have no problems with vampires or teen dram Degrassi used to be one of my favorite show's I'm a complete teenaged girl wrapped in a brutish overweight man's body.

I do however have problems with atrocious writting and twilight takes the cake I will say only one thing
I wanted to live this book Truely I did but nope I listened to them all and read te first 2 but I am worse for it.

Sorry, not a dig at you just an opinion.

Kerim Aug 1 '12 9:18pm

I don't mind. I don't like the last book, nor the overhyping, either, and it isn't that it's a great book anyway. I'd give it a 7, maybe a 7.5. 6 if you count the last book. 2 if you count the movie and it's fans.

prof cephalopod Aug 1 '12 9:20pm

Booyakah, good call sir. I agree with your ratings.