Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412)
-   -   New to DnD (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=185663)

Ferrovasi Oct 9 '12 9:39pm

New to DnD

Hello. My name is ferrovasi, and I am new to DnD altogether and especially to this website and websites like it. Any help would be appreciated, and I just wanted to make this thread to say hello to anyone reading it. If there are any players out there that wish to "coach" me through a game or two so I know what I'm doing, or tell me how to get into a game. Any known tricks to use to make a better character. Just any help at all, and would love to find some people to talk to and play with.

thenightssong Oct 9 '12 10:23pm

well for starters what version of Dnd are we talking about?
Pathfinders

Check this out.

Ferrovasi Oct 9 '12 11:29pm

I am not sure what any of those versions are, but I was told by a friend that 3.5 is what he plays, and that 4.0 is more like WoW or something like that. So I guess we are talking about 3.5 and 4.0. I checked that out and it was pretty funny and has some things that I will definitely try not to do. Thank you very much

DaReaper95 Oct 9 '12 11:46pm

xD that is not a good source of advice loveandwar. If anything he'll just be tempted to do those things now. Welcome aboard. there are a host of experienced players and dungeon masters for you to poke and prod with questions. here, if you need to poke em really hard, you can borrow my scythe.

Ferrovasi Oct 10 '12 12:12am

~Reaches hand out for scythe~ I am definitely going to be poking and proding pretty hard haha. I would love to learn about DnD but I'm more of a learn as I go kinda guy. What would you suggest as a good way to get into DnD? I realize that the more I ask questions the more I am thinking I need to just start playing and learn what I can, but I don't want to be bugging or annoying anyone that I'm playing with by being an uber noob. Does that make sense?

Zelkon Oct 10 '12 12:26am

Gah, the old WoW comment. I find them to be equal except 4e is better balanced. YMMV, but the whole WoW thing is just kind of a jerk thing to say. Still, play whatever you want, but I would suggest trying both (I play both here on the weve and its great).

Ferrovasi Oct 10 '12 12:41am

I didn't mean offense. The person who told me that probably hasn't ever played a 4e. What do you mean it's better balanced? How do you play on here? haha

inexorabletruth Oct 10 '12 12:50am

If you're new to D&D, I'd like to recommend 4e. It's a more "rules-light" system that is much easier to pick up on, and there is far more support for it at game shops. Most 3e and 3.5ers and seem to have a hard time adjusting to the game, but total newbs adapt to it well and prefer it over older versions. Old schoolers (referred to as Grognards) often prefer 4e to 3e and 3.5 as well.

I prefer 3.5 because there is a stat for everything (I almost enjoy building the characters more than playing the game), but some people hate getting bogged down with all the rules. If you prefer a simpler play style with a cinematic feel, try 4e. If you prefer to crunch numbers, compare stats, and research character options, world options, magic/mundane item options and the like, you'll enjoy 3.5 more.

If you decide that 3.5 is the system for you, check out my recruitment threads. I tend to post lvl 1 campaigns and try to be as newb friendly as I can.

Well... my current campaign is level 3. But that's still pretty easy to work with. It's practically the same as level 1, but with more swag and more skill points. And like... 1 more feat.

Ferrovasi Oct 10 '12 1:00am

Thank you so much inexorabletruth. That would explain why my friend likes 3.5, and I will definitely try some 4e games to get my feet wet and then maybe move into 3.5e. I would like to check your recruitment threads how would I?

Zelkon Oct 10 '12 1:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by inexorabletruth (Post 6167145)
I almost enjoy building the characters more than playing the game.

HA! Same here.
By balance, I mean that all* character classes are equal.
For example, the power difference in 3.5 between spellcasters and I-hit-it-with-my-sword types was astounding, so much that they made a whole system to help you compare power levels. Here's an exert that gives you a good idea of what tiers mean:
Teir 1: Capable of doing absolutely everything, often better than classes that specialize in that thing.
Tier 2: Has as much raw power as the Tier 1 classes, but can't pull off nearly as many tricks, and while the class itself is capable of anything, no one build can actually do nearly as much as the Tier 1 classes.
Tier 3: Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area.
Tier 4: Capable of doing one thing quite well, but often useless when encounters require other areas of expertise, or capable of doing many things to a reasonable degree of competance without truly shining.
Tier 5: Capable of doing only one thing, and not necessarily all that well, or so unfocused that they have trouble mastering anything, and in many types of encounters the character cannot contribute.

In 4e, everyone has about the same power level. Sure, there are some classes who can deal more damage, and some who can heal better, but those who lack in one area make up for it in another.
*there are exceptions. The binder sub-class of the warlock is strictly worse than the normal warlock, and the vampire class has less versatility. The Seeker and the Runepriest were not given many options outside the ones in the 3rd Players Handbook.