Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   Mystic Homelands: Knights of the Gate (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23217)
-   -   What to Expect: The DM and The World (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=185843)

Erico Oct 11 '12 6:00am

What to Expect: The DM and The World

About Me: I've been around the Weave for years, and been playing D&D twice as long. On the wheel of player archetypes, I'm a Storyteller: That means I get irritated with people who act like sticklers for the rules and ruin the ride for everybody else when they stop a game in its tracks to argue over some detail. I enjoy roleplaying vastly more than roll-playing, but that's not to say I don't enjoy chucking dice and whomping bad guys. I've never played an evil fella in my life, and I'm not about to start now.

I like to create a framework and let the players broaden it out: The world of Terrus, while simply named, is dear to my heart. It's my own little world, and I try to make it enjoyable for those who come to visit. If you have a notion for an NPC that doesn't exist, make them. I'm not about to turn down a suggestion for a supplies officer or the local tavernkeep, and I'll probably make a grand effort to include them later. It's that sense of back and forth, of building on past efforts, that keeps me coming back to my favorite games, and I hope, will keep you engaged in this one.

In combat, there are times I'll create a map and times where we'll just have to use our imaginations. This is where me being a storyteller archetype comes in handy: I'm flexible that way. I'm more into the fun aspects of combat than the drudge of positioning, placement, and statistics. This is why I made this game Tome of Battle based: The classes in ToB are just full of all sorts of fun possibilities. A team full of different Tome of Battle characters can be incredibly versatile and devastating to anything unlucky enough to stand in their path, and that's with a group that isn't min-maxed, but built for flavor and fun. This format lends itself well to the Law of Awesome.

And what is the Law of Awesome? Well, if you read my signature, you get the definition of it, but what does it look like in application? Imagine attacking a fleet of enemy warships, engaging the crew on the deck, defeating them, then scuttling the ship and launching yourself to the next ship on the line with the sinking vessel's catapult...repeating the process until every ship is sunk and the sea is full of unlucky sailors. Now imagine that you do all this by making some really terrific skill checks with the occasional humorous whoopsie on a flub, and that you never take damage on your landings. Why?

The Law of Awesome demands it.

A quick glance through the Terran Timeline and the pantheon will give you an indication of past major events (And other games I've run!), but don't feel the need to memorize everything. If it comes up, we'll roll knowledge history or knowledge local, or something. You'll know what you need to.

Terrus in the year 994 N.E, when this game will take place, is a world largely at peace. The most volatile land by far is Ashra, which has been remade and reshaped by events too many times to count, but even all those kingdoms and republics and free states don't see the point in hassling each other much. Adventurers travel the lands in search of fame and glory, and there's always opportunities around if you know where to look. But that's not something you have to concern yourself with.

As the game description states, you're all members of The Gatekeepers, the paramilitary organization that rules over Nessene's Island, maintains strict neutrality with the rest of Terrus, and makes sure that nothing bad ever comes through the Godfall Gate. Due to the powerful programmed enchantments in place, all interplanar traffic is directed to Nessene's Island: nothing gets in without getting past them, and you, first. But it's not all crossbows at the ready and waiting for trouble to knock on the door: The Gatekeepers are funded by import and export tariffs, processing fees, and local taxes from the businesses who set up shop on the island. In short, The Gatekeepers are the government on Nessene's Island. Don't be surprised if you get assigned to check bills of lading.

I believe that comedy and drama are forever intertwined: One makes the other stronger. To that end, I'm always on the lookout for players who are 1) Active members of the Weave, because I HATE dropout rates, and
2) Easygoing, and always keep in mind that this is a game, and games are supposed to be fun.

If you want to play a Crusader, a Swordsage, or a Warblade but never got the chance to, if you want to join The Gatekeepers and preserve the peace on Nessene's Island, Terrus, and the worlds beyond, if you're looking for a fun game that you have the time and energy to commit to, and if you want to share in making a world, a game, an experience worth remembering for years...

Give me your application. We'll see what we're all made of.