Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   World of Farland (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Lord of Greed (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=48309)

arholly Oct 16 '08 3:57pm

Lord of Greed

Hi there again. Something struck me as odd about the Lord of Greed. OK, a couple of things.

First, shouldn't his hitdice be 34d12+306 plus the hitdice(15d4) and bonus for him having 15 levels of Sorcerer(Con Mod * 15)? Also, wouldn't that increase his saves, skill points, and a few other things I'm sure I'm not thinking about. I'd have to check saves and the like, but I'm sure those should probably be readjusted.

I think he should have one more feat. He's got 11 listed and should have 12 I think (1,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33). That is not including the extra feats he would get from his Sorcerer levels.

He should know a lot more spells. You've only got 3 first level spells listed and he should know 6. He should know 6 of every level up to 6 and 4 seventh.

What is his Quicken spell-like ability?

What is his weapon focus? Wouldn't Improved Natural weaponry be better maybe? Would he want the extra bonus to hit or improving his damage?

NOTE: OK, I'm wondering if it maybe got a little confusing. An ancient Red can cast spells like a 15th level Sorcerer, so I was actually assuming you tacked on 15 MORE levels of Sorcerer to it. Does he have 15 more levels of Sorcerer, in which case he needs a lot of adjusting or does he just have 15 levels of Sorcerer from Red Dragon, in which case you should probably remove that from the Stat block.

If you want, I could probably tonight or tomorrow get around to restating him, or at least making suggestions.

Farland Oct 16 '08 4:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by arholly (Post 1375465)
Hi there again. Something struck me as odd about the Lord of Greed. OK, a couple of things.

First, shouldn't his hitdice be 34d12+306 plus the hitdice(15d4) and bonus for him having 15 levels of Sorcerer(Con Mod * 15)? Also, wouldn't that increase his saves, skill points, and a few other things I'm sure I'm not thinking about. I'd have to check saves and the like, but I'm sure those should probably be readjusted.

I think he should have one more feat. He's got 11 listed and should have 12 I think (1,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33). That is not including the extra feats he would get from his Sorcerer levels.

He should know a lot more spells. You've only got 3 first level spells listed and he should know 6. He should know 6 of every level up to 6 and 4 seventh.

What is his Quicken spell-like ability?

What is his weapon focus? Wouldn't Improved Natural weaponry be better maybe? Would he want the extra bonus to hit or improving his damage?

NOTE: OK, I'm wondering if it maybe got a little confusing. An ancient Red can cast spells like a 15th level Sorcerer, so I was actually assuming you tacked on 15 MORE levels of Sorcerer to it. Does he have 15 more levels of Sorcerer, in which case he needs a lot of adjusting or does he just have 15 levels of Sorcerer from Red Dragon, in which case you should probably remove that from the Stat block.

If you want, I could probably tonight or tomorrow get around to restating him, or at least making suggestions.

Yes, he just has the normal red stuff, so that is a bit confusing. Again, I appreciate the feedback and will remove the confusing notation.

As a side note, do you know 4E. I am getting ready to make a big site conversion and could use your analytical mind in my corner.

arholly Oct 16 '08 4:15pm

Do I know 4E? I have the books, but would need to bone up on it more to help with the conversion. I could help though, sure.

Are you going to have 3.5e and 4e or just 4e?

Farland Oct 16 '08 4:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by arholly (Post 1375498)
Do I know 4E? I have the books, but would need to bone up on it more to help with the conversion. I could help though, sure.

If you feel like boning up, we'd appreciate your help.

Quote:

Are you going to have 3.5e and 4e or just 4e?
I'll keep the 3.5 site up too.

arholly Oct 16 '08 4:57pm

Sure, no problem. I'll dust off the three core books and start reviewing. I'll ask more questions in the development section...

arholly Oct 17 '08 4:18am

1 Attachment(s)
OK. I found a few more problems with this guy. I know, he's a major bad guy and likely never to be fought, but for some reason, I really love the Lord of Greed.

Problems:
  • Incomplete Spell list (should have way more spells per level)
  • Can't have the feat: Dodge (Dex isn't high enough)
  • Hitpoints don't take into account Amulet of Health +2
  • Breath Weapon DC doesn't take into account Amulet of Health.
  • Skill points are off.
  • His feats are off in general. Should have another feat and one could be Epic.
  • Quicken Spell-like ability doesn't make sense unless it's fireball or something else like that. Makes more sense to give him Flyby Attack since it seems to imply that in his history.
  • Weapon Focus is a bad selection. He's better off with another feat (Improved Multiattack is a good option)

I've actually mocked up an idea of how he might look and possible spell selections based on his history and what he's lord of. Given his Greed, I made a good portion of his spells things to protect items, which seems a bit odd for a Sorcerer, but whatever, it works. So, he's got things like Identify, Firetrap, and Arcane lock to name a few. Seemed to make sense thematically.

I stated him up in PCGEN using nothing but the SRD, so everything should be good. Feel free to comment, flame, whatever.

Farland Oct 17 '08 3:05pm

I used DM Genie to create him, so it's possible that that led to these problems. I appreciate your analysis. Can you show your work?

:)

arholly Oct 17 '08 3:26pm

What do you mean show my work? Sure I can. I did attach some files showing what I did in the previous post. What specifically are you looking for and I'll be glad to help.

Farland Oct 17 '08 8:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by arholly (Post 1377921)
What do you mean show my work? Sure I can. I did attach some files showing what I did in the previous post. What specifically are you looking for and I'll be glad to help.

I'll check out what you attached. What I meant is tell my how you arrived at your calcs.

arholly Oct 17 '08 9:20pm

Well, the feats are calculated:

That gives him 12 feats.

For skills I maxed out everything that was class I think that you had.

The number of spells he should have I pulled from the SRD and just picked ones above what you had already selected and based on the history.

I did swap some feats to make him more effective in the air, since I can't imagine he'd like to fight on the ground and it's also kind of based on his history as well.

What else do you need to know?