Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   Farland Development (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Converting Farland Magic Items (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=57270)

Farland Feb 7 '09 8:33pm

Converting Farland Magic Items

Let's use this thread to convert Farland 3.5 magic items to 4E. Converted items should retain the flavor of the original, but no attempt need be made to match exactly.

Here's an attempt at the Crossbow of Wawmar

Original 3.5 itemCrossbow of Wawmar

Crafted under the hammers of the most expert metalsmiths in the world, the dwarves of Wawmar, this steel +3 heavy crossbow cannot be broken in battle or under normal use, although it is not indestructible (it can be destroyed in a normal forge). If the total number rolled to hit is 4 above the target's AC, then the opponent must save vs. will at DC 15 or be held as per a hold person spell cast by a 12th level caster. This power functions three times per day.

Moderate enchantment; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, hold person; Price 32,000* (Dwarven item).

4E corresponding itemCrossbow of Wawmar Level 2+

Crafted under the hammers of the most expert metalsmiths in the world, the dwarves of Wawmar, this steel crossbow stops your foes in their tracks.

Lvl 2 +1 520 gp Lvl 17 +4 65,000 gp
Lvl 7 +2 2,600 gp Lvl 22 +5 325,000 gp
Lvl 12 +3 13,000 gp Lvl 27 +6 1,625,000 gp

Weapon: Crossbow
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with this weapon. The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Farland Feb 13 '09 3:10pm

I know this one is pretty straight forward. Any comments on it?

arholly Feb 13 '09 8:07pm

No save for the held immobile? As a level 2 item, that rocks.

Squeak Feb 13 '09 8:24pm

I'd make it a minor action to use as well. Can/should it be limited to basic attacks only?

Farland Feb 13 '09 8:56pm

My thoughts:

I based it off a level 2 item, the Resounding weapon, that dazes until the end of the turn. I think dazing is potentially more powerful. It is a daily power. I think making it have a save makes it potentially more powerful-- it could last longer. That was my reasoning. See any flaws?

DrMorganes Feb 13 '09 9:42pm

I agree. Immobilized really isn't all that much of a penalty. You can still attack, still take minor actions - you just can't move.

Sithobi1 Feb 13 '09 10:36pm

This looks perfectly fine. Until EoT is the minimum for save effects anyway.

Farland Feb 14 '09 4:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sithobi1 (Post 1687856)
This looks perfectly fine. Until EoT is the minimum for save effects anyway.

Except this is Until End of Next Turn, but yeah, I think the weapon is fine.

Sithobi1 Feb 14 '09 8:37pm

End of MY next turn is functionally equivalent to end of their next turn for immobilize, unless they have a reaction like elven archers do.

Farland Feb 15 '09 2:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sithobi1 (Post 1690293)
End of MY next turn is functionally equivalent to end of their next turn for immobilize, unless they have a reaction like elven archers do.

And so it is, because they lose the same amount of turns-- 1. Good point. So it is clear that it is weaker than allowing a save.