Myth-Weavers

Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php)
-   Non Sequitur (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6826)
-   -   What do YOU want to play? (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=66421)

bored_teen Jun 1 '09 3:08am

What do YOU want to play?

Everybody has a few characters that they've been dying to play, or a game flavor that they'd like to try out. Personally, I've got a half-nymph druid that wants to cast an epic level Earth Rebirth spell, and I would really like to play a fey-themed campaign. I've also wanted to play a necromancer with his own army of undead. And then there's the soulknife...

Anyway, you get the idea. ITT we talk about the campaigns we'd love to the chance to play in, the characters we wish we could play, etc. If the DM took your ideas for a game and used them, what would they be?

Silverkiss Jun 1 '09 3:54am

Hmn. Strangely enough, I don't have any kind of character I'd want to play.

Wait...

Actually, I do have some. However, they are either so exotic or so different that no game system that I know can possibly accomodate them well enough, so the game would have to be freeform for it to be playable, unless heavy refluff was used, which would be doable, but not worth it in my opinion, since I want to play the actual concept, not a refluff of it. For example, one of the characters I wanted to play was a guy who could summon magical weapons and tools for him to use (yes, with heavy influence from Fate/Stay Night, if anyone is familiar with that). Too otherwordly for common systems, I'm afraid.

Templebuilder Jun 1 '09 3:59am

I'd like to do something epic and cinematic. I created a sheet for a character Solomon Stormtooth who would have been in a plane-hopping game, but I didn't get chosen. Dwarf with two magic axes, rakish personality, it would have been fun. But that kind of interstellar/planar voyaging really appeals to me. A space opera type feel.

Something really gritty is always fun, but it has to be done right. Everybody wants to do gritty, except I feel like a lot of times people miss the point: in a gritty campaign, PCs can't be skewed to live, they need to be just as susceptible to death as every average Joe. Way increased hit points and stuff like that doesn't fit in with it. A gritty fantasy setting would be incredible if it could be pulled off right, but gritty tends to pull one way and fantasy in the opposite. If the dragon's breath can melt your shield, it makes it tough to want to fight dragons. But then, circumstances don't always skew to what you want to do, and that's where the fun would lie.

Mostly, I want to play a game where my actions (and those of the party) are, for the most part, unrestricted. Without pre-set campaigns, that is. It would require a creative GM, definitely, but I think that kind of campaign would be the most fun for all involved.

bored_teen Jun 1 '09 4:01am

And that's what we're here to discuss. Post your crazy ideas, no matter if they are actually playable or not. I've been wanting to try an alchemist that can actually use potions (instead of having to pay out the rear in XP for making them).

Creeps Jun 1 '09 4:27am

I've always wanted to play an archivist (D&D 3.5) who cared more about actual science than magic. Also, a variation of this theme involving a necromancer with a scientific interest in life and death, desperate to unravel its mysteries. Like a mad DaVinci mortician...with a darkly playful side. I can just see him playing pranks upon students using an animated skeleton as an in-class specimen.

Undead campaigns. I have a huge...huge fondness for the living dead. Perhaps a fun revenge quest. Hell, I would like to run one, too.

I also enjoy playing humanoid monsters races. Not "reverse dungeon" like, but adventuring/merc companies of humanoids. Maybe all Eberron-style, with fuzzy alignments.

Proven Paradox Jun 1 '09 4:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverkiss (Post 2026135)
For example, one of the characters I wanted to play was a guy who could summon magical weapons and tools for him to use (yes, with heavy influence from Fate/Stay Night, if anyone is familiar with that). Too otherwordly for common systems, I'm afraid.

I'm not familiar with the source material you're referencing, but what you're describing sounds like an Incarnate, Totemist, or Soulborn from DnD 3.5's Magic of Incarnum book. An underused and absolutely awesome magic system that I would like to see get more playtime. I'm playing an incarnate//crusader gestalt in a game here, and he kicks gratuitous amounts of ass.

Anyway, I'm a 3.5 man, and my latest obsession is gestalt. There's a lot to choose from in 3.5, but gestalt really puts things through the roof. I'm in several gestalt games already (as well as DMing one), but there are dozens of othser combinations I'd like to try out. Psychic warrior//swordsage or warblade, the Incarnum classes (see above paragraph) with various more mainstream classes, Binder//Something else, the classic glaivelock//warblade, crusader or paladin//sorcerer/runesmith, psion shaper//bard or something else that can distribute buffs to my own astral constructs--I could go on for pages on class comboes I want to try out. A game where I can try out various homebrew classes that've caught my interest would be great too.

Silverkiss Jun 1 '09 4:48am

I don't know 3.5 very well (never actually played it), but I doubt that any class could emulate what I want. Also, even if it emulated roughly well, it would have to be a high-leveled game, since the character idea I have could summon anything to aid him. The idea really lends itself better to freeform, because of the infinite possibilities of summoning. If I was to limit the summoning through spells or other devices, I'd be straying too far from the original idea for it to be still enjoyable. ):

Shazam Jun 1 '09 5:06am

I just want to play a simple D20 Modern campaign, I mean I am DMing a D20 Modern Campaign with 2 players I might add which is okay, but it isn't the same as playing in one. I would really like to play in a zombie apocalyptic scenario which is ironic as I'm making one to play after my other campaign gets rolling.

bored_teen Jun 1 '09 5:07am

I have a jumping dwarf dragoon that I've wanted to play. And now that you mention undead, Creeps, I've got this idea for an undead-hating ranger. If you feel like running a solo campaign, I'm cool with the zombie-killin'.

Shazam Jun 1 '09 5:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored_teen (Post 2026348)
I have a jumping dwarf dragoon that I've wanted to play. And now that you mention undead, Creeps, I've got this idea for an undead-hating ranger. If you feel like running a solo campaign, I'm cool with the zombie-killin'.

Ugh..a dragoon, I remember my friend made one of those, it was homebrewed and broken as what, his information was incredible, took alot from FF but it was still good, too bad if he jumped he usually hit ceiling.