View Single Post
Old Apr 10 '12, 1:31pm
Knight of the Republic

The Teen Titans need you!

Young Justice: The New Guard - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
Estimated Members Requested: 1

It was the End of an Era

Never has the resolve of all of Earth’s collected heroes been put to the test than during The Crisis.

Two years ago, when the Dark God Darkseid rallied all the powers and forces at his disposal in a quest to control the entity known as The Anti-Monitor, and discover the secret of the Anti-Life equation. They laid waste to countries and conquered cities. Apokoliptic Demons blotted out the skies. It seemed that the End of Days had come.

It was, of Course, Superman who rallied the heroes to our aid. The Justice League, the Justice Society, the Teen Titans, Batman and his Outsiders, even Uncle Sam’s Freedom Fighters and every other hero in between.

We fought them with all of our might, we gave the world hope when there was none to be had. And while there were casualties on both sides that day, we won.

And it wasn’t Superman or the League who saved us. In the end it was a Titan. One that I am sad to say I never knew or gave a chance to. Before that day I always saw Superboy has a clone, a lab experiment that I couldn’t trust. On that day I saw him for the hero he was. As he faced down Darkseid when no one else could, and as he gave his life to banish the tyrant from our reality.

On that day we won. On that day, Superboy died.

The world mourned, his Teammates were devastated. They chose to disband the Titans. They went their separate ways, some continuing on as heroes in their own way. The Tower was dismantled, the tech repurposed by other teams. We all agreed that despite the legacy of the Titans, the accomplishments that the teams with that name had made, that the world had changed. We couldn’t let kids charge into battle without leadership and guidance. So two years ago, a hero died and the Teen Titans ended.

But there’s a part of me that regrets the decision, and wonders how long it will really last.

Titans Together.

- From the Personal Files of Dick Grayson

Welcome to Teen Titans: The New Guard!

Thank you for taking the time to read through this ad! Teen Titans: The New Guard is a campaign set in the DC Universe. I am looking for five players who are interested in playing Mutants and Masterminds 3E and who love the DC Universe. I am looking for this game to be a sort of alternate-present, or Elseworlds, set in a fairly iconic version of the DC Universe, with a new group of young heroes stepping up to claim the name and the legacy of the Teen Titans. Are you Tim Drake, stepping up to fill the role of leader again? Or maybe Batman has trained a new pupil? Or perhaps you are a completely new hero without ties to a previous hero or legacy.

Your Gamemaster: I am Rennick. As a GM, I have some new formats and methods that I will be trying to integrate into my games. I've taken things I've seen throughout the Weave, suggestions from players in my other games, ideas from other GMs and will be trying to use them to make the best play-by-post game I possibly can. Personally, I am a 26-year old, master’s student who is studying theatre abroad and has played RPGs and been a comic book fan since the late 90s. The two biggest things I look for when choosing players is commitment and communication.

More than anyone I understand that asking for a daily posting rate is unrealistic for a lot of people but I expect my players to keep me and the other players in the loop if something comes up, and I will do the same for you. I am looking for Players who are willing to put the effort into making it a great game for the entire group, if you feel that you fit that description, then keep reading, you may find that this is the game for you.

Setting

Teen Titans: The New Guard is set in an alternate present that is similar to the cannon DC Universe, in broad strokes. Batman stalks the streets of Gotham city and Superman is the protector of Metropolis. At the forefront of the Earth’s defence is the Justice League. And the next generation has been represented time and again by the Teen Titans.

The basics are all the same, but the details may be different. In this world the current era of heroes has been active for about twelve years, with some form of the JLA existing for about ten years. There have been three iterations of the Teen Titans so far; the original gathering of sidekicks. The second was formed with Raven sought out a group of heroes to battle her father Trigon, and the third formed under the guidance of Cyborg, and only recently disbanded with the death of Superboy.

I am intentionally being vague about a lot of the major details because I want players to have a wide array of options and creative freedom. The specifics of the world will be worked out after players are accepted, and in a lot of cases as they discover them through the game itself.

Application Process

Character Sheet Template - You are not required to use this format for your applications, however successfuly chosen applicants will be expected to use this for their character sheets in the game.

This is where it happens! Post your interest, ask questions, all in this ad thread!

The next step will be to make a character, which will also be posted here! There are four “Categories” of characters that I will consider for acceptance:

Completely Original Characters: These are the kinds of characters that have no connections to the cannon of the DC universe. They are brand new to the world and to us.

Tangential Connections: Consider a character who is related to the established universe in a less than obvious way? Maybe your crimefighter stumbled across an old Bat Bunker and co-opted the equipment? Or Did you get your powers through some experiment by Lex Luthor? The options are endless.

Legacies: Your character works with, has been trained by, or is in some way involved with a hero or villain of the DCU. Maybe your character is the newest to take on the mantle of Robin the boy (or girl) wonder, or a young amazon who’s adopted the role of Wonder Girl. These kinds of characters are more directly related to an established hero, but are still your own creation.

Established Character: Your application revolves around a character who has already been established in the DCU. Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Jason Todd, Cassandra Sandsmark, the list goes on. Players should not feel obligated to use characters from the current generation. A good example is the use of Zatanna in the Young Justice Cartoon.

- Please note: That why established concepts are allowed, players are expected to build their sheets from the ground up to match PL and PP guidelines.

- There are a small number of heroes that are "off limits" at the moment. They can be seen in the Non-Player Character section of the forum

Now if I’m going to be honest, I think that while I am happy to consider all of these categories, I am most likely going to play a bit of favoritism to the second and third categories. The reason is that I think that having connections to the DCU will offer some interesting dynamics to storytelling and roleplaying. On the other side of the coin, I’m going to be picky over applications of established characters because it could be used as an easy out and I want to make sure that you have a strong and fresh idea of how this character could evolve.

Please do not let that deter you from submitting an awesome original concept if you have one, I'll still be looking for the characters who have the best development and the players who have the highest level of commitment when making my choices. Be sure to let me know how you are, let me know your commitment to the games you play, you experience on Myth-Weavers, Mutants and Masterminds 3e and comic books (specifically DCU), your personality, what you look for in a game or GM, and anything else you think would help me recognize you as a good fit for the game.

That being said, I'm looking for characters, not character sheets. Make sure you get me to know your character. Feel free to take liberties with the world background. If you are the new Robin, how did you come to inherit the role? What relationship do you have with the previous three (Ignore Damian… seriously). Taking those sorts of liberties is not only allowed, but they are encouraged. If you have something in there that doesn't work for my plan or setting, I'll be sure to let you know and we can work together to tweak it.

For the mechanical side of things, please do not try and break the game. I understand an open system like this has some things in it that are "broken" when used in combination, try to stay away from that. If I smell it, I simply won't entertain the idea. This game is going to be power level 10, with 150 points for character creation. I threw around many ideas on what exactly I was going to do with Power Level, and decided to just stick with the baseline of 10. Sidekicks and Minions are welcome but only in a low supporting roles, afterall your characters are basically the sidekicks themselves There may be some niche protection as well. If two characters both make versions of the masked crimefighter, unless they are radically different concepts, I probably won’t take them both

In Closing

Thank you for taking the time to read through this advertisement. I hope that some of you are interested in applying. Any comments, questions, or suggestions are welcome and should be posted here. I will add questions asked and answered to the ad so if a potential applicant has a similar question, they might get it answered right away. Applications should also be placed in this thread and I will update the ad to reflect any applications and their status. If you apply and I do not update the ad, please remind me to do so (in the thread first, by PM if that doesn't work). Feel free to browse the Game Forum. In terms of an application deadline, this ad will run until I have a strong base of applications to choose from and everyone who expresses interest has at least had a chance to apply (Around a week)

FAQ

Where do I post my application?

Will a lack of knowledge about the game system/setting hurt my chances

Is Martian Manhunter a part of this world?

Was Superboy a clone? Who created him?

Can I be a new version of this or that character?

Can I play a chaotic/dark character?

Do I have freedom with the world's history for my backstory?

My backstory would work better with version of Batman/Batgirl/Green Lantern or other hero. Who do you have as this hero?

Applications

NOTE: It is every players own responsibility to notify me with a post when their applications are completed.

Lim Mimi - Thermal - Shihong (Complete)

Stone Dragon - - Zenninpo (Complete)

The Red Hood - Fell - (Complete)

Payasa - Hammerfist - (Complete)

Ardent - Khakan - (Complete)

Amunet - Maika - (Complete)

Archer of Soul - Cnyperos - (Complete)

Straps - RedShirt13 - (Complete)

Indigo - Ryfte - (Complete)

Arrowette -Andraia - (Complete)

Solaefter - SephirothSword117 - (Complete)

Blackout - Drunva - (Complete)

Lou'ki - BeyondThePale - (Complete)

Life Lass - Hera - (Complete)

Slice - scarletsorcerer - (Complete)

Match Mk II - Mischief Warrior - (Complete)

Voltage - Habsfan - (Complete)

Stratos - Edrobot - (Complete)

The Gorgon - Inscribed - (Complete)

Obsidian - Kaitou Kage - (Incomplete: Requested consideration)

Game Description:

A ragtag group of young heroes are brought together when the world needs them most. Against all odds, they are: The Teen Titans!

Last edited by Rennick; Apr 16 '12 at 11:38pm..