Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Seeking advice on a Paragon rogue

Seeking advice on a Paragon rogue

Kehvrynne 4.16

This character is part of The Firkraag's 4E Playtest game. I'm looking for input on a few things:
  1. Am I reading the paragon feat Secret Stride correctly? It seems to duplicate the Rogue 2 Utility power Fleeting Ghost, in that the rogue may move her speed and take no penalty to Stealth Checks. Is this correct?
  2. If #1 is correct, is it worth taking the feat to retrain the Level 2 Utility power to
    Encounter power that allows the rogue to shift 1/2 speed. Kehv's an elf, and so ignores difficult terrain while shifting
    Tumble? She already has the handful of Paragon feats which strike me as very appropriate to her build.
  3. Is the Level 1 Daily power Blinding Barrage worth keeping at Level 16? Kehv is very team-oriented, and none of the Level 5 Daily powers seem to have the same group impact as Blinding Barrage. What am I missing?
  4. I'm also looking for recommendations on her Level 15 Daily. I'm torn between Bloody Path and Slaying Strike. Thoughts?

1. Yup. They're pretty much identical.
2. I can't really say if it's worth it, but FYI it says "shift 1/4 Speed" on your character sheet.
3. I'd say it's worth it. There aren't alot of area attack powers for a rogue, and the two other daylies of that level aren't really much better. Plus all of those you hit are blinded and that's great for the entire team! I really like Blinding Barrage.
4. Bloody path is great for running past lot's of strong enemies, but you better have some back-up. This will most likely put you in an akward position. Slaying Strike is great for beating the BigBads(tm) down several notches (and hopefully, permanently).

DrM... as much as I love playing rogues, I have to admit that I've not looked at them as much in 4.0E (mostly because of expanding my horizons and doing the Wizard)

Anyhow, here's my input (and realize it comes without a whole lot of looking at the Rogue)
1) Yes, they're almost identical. The difference here is that one is a move action daily power and one is a feat that is always active... really nothing major EXCEPT it means rogue's get to do something at level 2 that it takes everyone else has to wait until paragon tier to do.
2) It MIGHT be worth it. In reality, when building Bob I found I had a dearth of potential feats slots. Any of the Utility 2 powers are helpful enough that I'd consider burning the feat to free up the space. (yes, this includes Tumble as shifting is crazy nice for rogues to position themselves... when used with the epic feat Flanking Maneuver, it becomes even cooler)

3 - Maybe... in reality Rogues are meant to be
They're real benefit is their ability to take down a single enemy a few notches or all the way down
strikers rather than controllers... so the benefits of the level 5 ongoing effects are, IMO, more beneficial. Especially if you don't intend to be tied to ranged weapons... note, if you're tied to ranged weapons I still suspect walking wounded would be better... PS - ranged weapons go well with Tumble...

4 - Bloody Path is very cool... a bit more groupish than targetted. If you go with this, I'd definitely say drop the Blinding Barrage and go with one of the other more focused dailies. If you keep blinding barrage I'd say grab Slaying Strike.

4b - I have to say, it may not be mechanically the best, but my favorite 15 daily is, by far, garrote grip... it's stupid cool... like I said though, I haven't looked into the real likelihood of them escaping the hold...

hmm... good points, Lan.

Fleeting Ghost is an at-will utility power, not a daily. Your point is well taken, however, in that rogues can stealth at a full move 9 levels before everyone else.

I think I'll retrain Fleeting Ghost to Tumble and burn the feat. Being able to shift 4 squares is pretty huge, I think, even if it's only once per encounter.

The jury is still out, however, on the daily powers. I'll take a look again. In the mean time, everyone please feel free to post opinions.

Just looked at your sheet briefly, one mistake I've noticed. You have stacked the bonuses of Quick Draw and Improved Initiative. They don't stack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBorn View Post
Just looked at your sheet briefly, one mistake I've noticed. You have stacked the bonuses of Quick Draw and Improved Initiative. They don't stack.
as proven:
Quote:
Most feats give you small, static bonuses to one of the
numbers on your character sheet. When picking feats,
there’s one important rule to remember about these
bonuses: Bonuses of the same type don’t add together
(or stack).
PHB Page 192.

Good catch! For some reason I was thinking the Quick Draw's bonus was untyped...

I'll probably retrain Improved Initiative to Quick Draw and see what else I can come up with.

All bonuses from feats are feat bonuses unless it states otherwise. That tripped me up at first too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
All bonuses from feats are feat bonuses unless it states otherwise. That tripped me up at first too.
What? Where does it say that? If a feat doesn't say that it has a "feat" bonus, then it's probably unnamed, not feat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Yeah.... I'm not sure that's an accurate statement. Some feats, like Improved Initiative and Quick Draw, specifically state "+x feat bonus". Others, like Defensive Mobility, do not specify a type.

I used those feats as examples on purpose; they were the ones I was considering. My brain simply cross-wired the typed bonus from Quick Draw and the untyped bonus from Defensive Mobility. One of these days I'll learn to slow down and take another look when something doesn't look quite right...