England Expects Every Man (and Boy!) Will Do His Duty

Old Mar 20 '09, 10:43pm
Horse *Listener*

England Expects Every Man (and Boy!) Will Do His Duty

The High Seas - Forum
7th Sea
Estimated Members Requested: 1

I have recently inherited a game that takes place during the era of the Napoleonic Wars. It will be based extremely loosely on the "Bloody Jack", "Horatio Hornblower" and "Jack Aubrey" stories and will focus on the adventures of the members of a ship's crew who are often overlooked: the children, the lads who signed on to England's ships of the line and fought alongside men and officers ... and whose names rarely appear in the pages of history in any other way than as single entries on lists of crewmen. Yet they were important. And in this game, they will be the stars of the story.

The characters are all young men and boys who will be joining the crew of HMS Rose, a fictional sixth rate frigate in His Majesty's Royal Navy. The system I'm using is a house-rule-ified version of
It says GURPS at the moment, but that's because the old GM started it that way, and I converted it to the only system I know well enough to run.
7th Sea, but instead of Theah, the setting is our world during the Napoleonic Era.

And we've only just gotten started. I'm looking for 1 to 3 more boys to round out the crew and add some steam to the current posting rate (which has slowed ridiculously since the site shutdown and upgrade).

The game is here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12703. Feel free to have a look around.

If you are interested, post here with a brief description of your young man (in private text if necessary). Please only post interest if you are a reliable, at least 4X weekly poster, have a firm grasp of writing conventions, and are enough of a man-jack to do your duty for King and Country!

Game Description:

The year is 1803 and Britain and France are at an uneasy peace. Word has passed throughout London, though, that war is again looming on the horizon. The shipyards at Woolwich and Deptford swarm with workers, and ships are being repaired, refitted, and turned out like there is no tomorrow.

HMS Rose has recently put out to sea, and aboard her, in addition to a full complement of men and marines are a handful of ship's boys who are quickly learning what it is like to be a member of His Majesty's Navy. The Rose is not without her thorns, though, it seems -- and a ship's boy's life is far from an easy one ....

Last edited by Isannah; Mar 23 '09 at 4:38am..
Bump ...

I'm beginning to understand why Britain's Navy resorted to press gangs ....

Looks like an interesting game, Isannah. Unfortunately time constraints prevent me from joining any additional games.

Being a Navy man myself, this sounds like an interesting game. I'm not familiar with 7th Sea though... if the rules are easy enough to explain and pick up without buying the books, I'd be game.

I'm a GURPS gamer normally (since the game started out as GURPS), but had understood 7th Sea (well, enough to play, anyways) in less time than it takes me to cook and eat a dozen pancakes. See you on board!

@ Mordae: The system is simple, and you won't have to buy anything. Here's a link with some basic crunchy stuff if you are interested, but you won't need it until we start stat-ing your character, and I can even do that for you if you like. It's not a totally accurate representation of 7th Sea, but I'm house-ruling a lot anyway, so it won't matter. For now, if you are interested in signing on, can you send me a character background, or at least a summary thereof as a starting point? I'm eager to meet your lad and HMS Rose is eager to round out her crew and set sail.

------------------

@ Leonidas 1789: If the French are to be left alone, they should tell Old Boney to step back from the ridiculously high tariffs on merchant vessels in allied ports and to keep his paws off land that isn't his. Just because it wasn't mentioned in The Peace of Amiens doesn't mean he can help himself to it. Oh. And ... while you are at it, tell him keep his nose out of politics in Malta. If the people there want His Royal Majesty, George III to be their sovereign, it is not for the Little Corporal to naysay them. Malta isn't one of his possessions anymore!

Hmm. I will tell him.

And in the meantime: Vive l'Empereur! - of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isannah View Post
@ Mordae: The system is simple, and you won't have to buy anything. Here's a link with some basic crunchy stuff if you are interested, but you won't need it until we start stat-ing your character, and I can even do that for you if you like. It's not a totally accurate representation of 7th Sea, but I'm house-ruling a lot anyway, so it won't matter. For now, if you are interested in signing on, can you send me a character background, or at least a summary thereof as a starting point? I'm eager to meet your lad and HMS Rose is eager to round out her crew and set sail.
Aye aye, sir! Jules Verron will turn to and stand ready for orders!

Excellent. I eagerly await the backstory of Jules Verron.