Interlude: The Reality Gem

"Wait a minute Mantor.....could several people simply wield the reality stone together as a barrrier? Well more specificaly i mean use it to somehow 'collect' the energy he would use to attack us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzguy View Post
"Wait a minute Mantor.....could several people simply wield the reality stone together as a barrrier? Well more specifically I mean use it to somehow 'collect' the energy he would use to attack us?
Mantor leans back and takes on a more pensive demeanor. "If several people were to touch the gem simultaneously, they would all have to give the gem the same command in order for their combined will to be reflected upon it...but...if others were to simply be in physical contact with the gem's single wielder, they could lend their will to that person and let the bearer of the gem dictate the gem's action. Yes...those people could potentially act as a battery for the gem's bearer, amplifying that person's mastery of the gem...but those who do so would want to be certain that the bearer would be acting with their best intentions, of course...for once their will is given over to the bearer of the gem, they would simply be fueling the bearer's commands upon the gem, not dictating their own."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Mantor leans back and takes on a more pensive demeanor. "If several people were to touch the gem simultaneously, they would all have to give the gem the same command in order for their combined will to be reflected upon it...but...if others were to simply be in physical contact with the gem's single wielder, they could lend their will to that person and let the bearer of the gem dictate the gem's action. Yes...those people could potentially act as a battery for the gem's bearer, amplifying that person's mastery of the gem...but those who do so would want to be certain that the bearer would be acting with their best intentions, of course...for once their will is given over to the bearer of the gem, they would simply be fueling the bearer's commands upon the gem, not dictating their own."
"That...presents many possibilities," Blackbird notes after several moments of thought. "Such as, for example...having one wielder of multiple gems, whose will is bolstered by the resolve of the entire Avengers team."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam (Blackbird) View Post
"That...presents many possibilities," Blackbird notes after several moments of thought. "Such as, for example...having one wielder of multiple gems, whose will is bolstered by the resolve of the entire Avengers team."
"Indeed", Mantor replies, stroking his chin. "Working together to influence the gem might also be beneficial if, say, the one wielding the gem were...shall we say not wielding it in the best interests of their teammates..."

"All these things we have discussed will serve well whoever you pick to wield the gem. But I'm afraid the time we have left to act grows short. I can already feel the subtle influence of the Time and Reality gem upon each other and before things become further askew, you need to think about who should now wield the Reality gem once it is retrieved from its current bearer...

...who now sits among us."

Sipping one more time from his cup, Mantor asks the group "I suggest you all turn out your pockets."

As you second guess yourselves and reach towards wherever in your costume you keep your personal items, Rad announces "already did - just two quarters and some lint."*

* See post 1759267 at the end of Issue 7.

Without looking up, Mantor raises his lip from the edge of the teacup and says simply "check your other pocket."

At which point, Rad reaches into another pocket on his suit and freezes for a second as his face (or least what you can see of it) turns white. He removes a small yellow/orange gem from his pocket and holds it in his palm for all to see.

"I...I didn't...I mean...I forgot about...I didn't know...", Rad stammers, his usual flippant comments seeming to fail him.

"Quite", Mantor replies. "Well, now that you know, I assume Stephen-the-Ego will be calling you back home. Good luck, my friends. Have faith. I'm sure we will meet again."

Mantor's words seem to die away as the scene around you fades to blue...

Mantor now sits alone in his living room as Jericho Tesla enters from the kitchen. "I found the crackers! Hey, did I just hear other voices out here?", he asks.

The heroes have traveled slightly back in time for this interlude. The scene at the door was Mantor going out to see the Avengers Quinjet pass by in the police appreciation parade which happened a few days back, during the time he still had a recovering Jericho Tesla as a house guest. Fortunately, the two time-tossed Jerichos did not bump into each other. Mantor would go on to explain everything to Jericho (past version) and then make sure he promptly forgot about it (this happened in a previous cut scene a couple issues back).
Historical Note#1

Yes, Rad's player actually did acquire the gem back in a private adventure when this game launched about two years ago. Having no reason to further investigate the strange item, he has had it with him the whole time. I will have to see if I can dig up some of the original emails and post them for reference.
Historical Note#2

Continue on in the Issue 7 thread!