Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

4e. If you are pushed/slide/pulled off an elevated surface, you get an immediate savign throw to catch yourself. Are you allowed to forgo the saving throw and simply let yourself drop? Furthermore, if you have a fly speed and you are teleported into the air, can you remain flying or do you fall to the nearest surface?

PHB page 284 says: "Catching Yourself: If a power or a bull rush (page 287) forces you over a precipice or into a pit, you can immediately make a saving throw to avoid going over the edge." Emphasis mine. You don't have to make the saving throw if you don't want to.

Teleporting someone into the air is of questionable legality in itself.
However judging by the rules on flying on DMG page 47, I would say that if you were not airborn on your previous turn, and suddenly find yourself airborn, you crash and fall, unless you have (Hover) flight, in which case you can remain airborne without having taken any Fly actions on the previous turn. I'd also say that having a fly speed allows you to use your "safe distance" to slow your fall to a safe speed, as:
"Safe Distance: A flying creature that crashes immediately drops a distance equal to its fly speed. If it reaches the ground, it lands safely."

Hope this helps.

4e. Adventurer's Vault. Double Weapons.

Do the "weapon types" of double weapons apply to both ends of the weapon, or does each end have its own type? For example, a double sword is a "heavy blade, light blade" and described in fluff as two longswords. Say a character has the
Nimble Blade
Prerequisite: Dex 15
Benefit: When you attack with a light blade and you have combat advantage, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Nimble Blade feat and is using a Double Sword to deliver a double attack (e.g., Twin Strike) with combat advantage. Does he gain the feat benefit to both attacks or only to one of them? Can he use either end of the weapon to deliver powers that require him to be using specifically a light blade or a heavy blade?

Another example, say a character has Weapon Focus: Axes. He's using an Urgrosh. Does he add damage to his attacks with the spear end of the Urgrosh?

Worst of all and a slightly different question... Do racial weapons feats
Goliath Greatweapon Prowess specifically says it applies to basic and military weapons only, and it also scales with tier.
in the PHB grant proficiency in all weapons with that type, including superior weapons? RAW, it seems they do, but should they? It's horribly unbalanced: Dwarven Weapons Training is like
Or as many as WotC decides to keep making weapons for in the axe and hammer types
arbitrarily many proficiency feats and two Weapon Focus feats at double effectiveness in the Heroic tier.

Tie-ins from the above: The Urgrosh is an axe and a spear. Do both Eladrin Soldiers and dwarves with Dwarven Weapons Training have proficiency with this weapon?
If so, do they apply their proficiency bonus to both sides of the weapon or to only one side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post

Do the "weapon types" of double weapons apply to both ends of the weapon, or does each end have its own type? For example, a double sword is a "heavy blade, light blade" and described in fluff as two longswords. Say a character has the
Nimble Blade
Benefit: When you attack with a light blade and you have combat advantage, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Nimble Blade feat and is using a Double Sword to deliver a double attack (e.g., Twin Strike) with combat advantage. Does he gain the feat benefit to both attacks or only to one of them? Can he use either end of the weapon to deliver powers that require him to be using specifically a light blade or a heavy blade?
I would say that each end is its own weapon type. Look at the chart again. The double axe and double flail both have a single weapon type. The double sword is at once a light blade and a heavy blade (making it a nice choice for Tempest Fighters, by the way). The Urgrosh is the redheaded stepchild.

In all cases, Combat Advantage applies to all attacks made until the condition no longer applies. In most cases this will only be a single attack, but Rangers and Tempest Fighters have it better there.

In the specific case of the double sword, yes, it fits the bill as a Heavy Blade and as a Light Blade all at once.

Quote:
Another example, say a character has Weapon Focus: Axes. He's using an Urgrosh. Does he add damage to his attacks with the spear end of the Urgrosh?
No more than a character with Weapon Focus (Axes) would apply the bonus to the dagger in their off hand.

Quote:
Goliath Greatweapon Prowess specifically says it applies to basic and military weapons only, and it also scales with tier.
in the PHB grant proficiency in all weapons with that type, including superior weapons? RAW, it seems they do, but should they? It's horribly unbalanced: Dwarven Weapons Training is like
Or as many as WotC decides to keep making weapons for in the axe and hammer types
arbitrarily many proficiency feats and two Weapon Focus feats at double effectiveness in the Heroic tier.
Superior Weapons don't count. Specific beats general, and the description of the Superior weapon type specifically states you need to take Weapon Proficiency to properly use a given Superior weapon.

Quote:
Tie-ins from the above: The Urgrosh is an axe and a spear. Do both Eladrin Soldiers and dwarves with Dwarven Weapons Training have proficiency with this weapon?
If so, do they apply their proficiency bonus to both sides of the weapon or to only one side?[/quote]

No. The Urgrosh is a Superior weapon, and requires special training to use, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post

Nimble Blade
RAW, all parts of the weapon have all weapon categories, so yes and yes.

Quote:
RAW, yes. RAI, no, especially because Urgroshes specifically have different ends.

Quote:
Basically, yes. If it's a spear, and you have ES, you are proficient with it.

Quote:
If so, do they apply their proficiency bonus to both sides of the weapon or to only one side?
It's one weapon. RAW, you get proficiency with both sides.

I'm running a preset mod: Keep on Shadowfell, my party just finished the first encounter, which says 475 xp, is that to each person or evenly split?

I don't have and haven't memorized that specific adventure, funnily enough, but normally that's total XP so you divide it evenly between the participants. In this case if you have five PCs each gets 95 XP. If you end up with fractions or weird numbers I recommend rounding up to the next multiple of 5, but no rule says you can't have fractional XP.

Thanks guys, I think I'll listen to Sithobi for double weapon types (though how a sword can be both light and heavy is beyond me, and the Urgrosh deserves houseruling to give each side a different type) and to DrMorganes for superior weapons proficiencies even though he's probably wrong: specific feats are more specific than general rules for a super-class of weapons.

Star Wars Saga.

Did I miss rules anywhere for attempting to deal non-lethal damage against a target? They don't give a choice to do it except in a feat that is in another book I believe. This is troublesome when powerful characters are fighting Non-heroic level minions that they can kill in one blow because they will take them to 0 hp AND go over their damage threshold.

I can always house rule something into existence if not.