GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

GM Workshop: Operations

Sample ad:

Myth-Weavers GM Workshop!

Ever get stumped? Players taking the wrong turn? Want to bounce some idea around? All of these happen to us as GMs. The Myth-Weavers GM Workshop is always accepting people who want to get together and discuss multiple aspects of GMing. From creating deathtrap rooms to plot hooks and random characters.

Recently, inspired by the idea of having a monthly challenge from the Myth-Weavers Writing guild, the GM workshop is now also having Monthly Challenges.

This Month is our very first challenge! Come by and visit us! All are welcome!

On another note fellow gamers, I was thinking that in essence we could really become involved with a pet project such as an indepth hands on game world custom fit with our own races, classes, settings etc. I feel that we all have something to add and something to start. While it would be a collobarative effort it is also a way to implement the resources that we all have into a memorable fit for the workshop. Is anybody interested including mods to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SValimont View Post
On another note fellow gamers, I was thinking that in essence we could really become involved with a pet project such as an indepth hands on game world custom fit with our own races, classes, settings etc. I feel that we all have something to add and something to start. While it would be a collobarative effort it is also a way to implement the resources that we all have into a memorable fit for the workshop. Is anybody interested including mods to help?
The site already has a custom setting (Farland) that members are welcome to help craft. I don't think we want to try and set up a competitor, but perhaps we should talk to them about collaboration; perhaps even set up an adventure module or three. I'll admit my experience is 3.5e-centric and Farland is being updated to 4e presently, so I'm not sure I'm personally the best to work that angle.

You would have to investigate with the mods whether you could do a collaborative campaign setting. Though I don't see why not, since solo GMs do it all the time here.

However this Workshop is for helping people craft their games. Advice, articles, suggestions, answers and examples are all good but we don't want to take on any major projects here.

I hope this is a good spot for this.

Most of the game ads are for D&D, which is fine. However, I have discovered that there are a lot of systems out there that look like a lot of fun. This could be because I am new to RPing and every system I come across I at least want to check out. The problem is that either no one wants to learn the system or no one wants to GM a new system.

For example, recently someone posted in the Game Planning Thread that they wanted to play a Paranoia game and wanted to know if anyone wanted to GM one. Several people expressed interest in playing, but no one wanted to GM. Most of the reasons where because they had the book but did not want to GM because they never actually played a game. So, I looked into the game and I thought it looked like a lot of fun. So, I bought the book. I then spent some time reading it. There was a pregenerated game in the back of the book and I thought that I could probably run a game. My reasoning was that with any system someone has to be the first GM and if someone else could do it why not me. So, I have been running the game with 6 fairly new players, to the system not RPGing, and it is going pretty good.

Then today I saw a thread where someone was asking about the Lord of the Rings RPG book. Again, some people expressed interest in the game, but it did not look like anyone wanted to actually start up a game. So this got me thinking. Maybe there can be away to teach people a system and/or how to GM it.

I am not to sure how to go about this, but I thought maybe some brain storming would create some ideas. One idea I had was maybe there could be a thread in here for a particular system. For example, there could be a Paranoia thread and if people had a question about the system or about GMing a game for it, they could ask it there. I would be happy to field any questions for it, even though I am new to it. I just figured if there was some place a person could go to find out about a particular system, there maybe more interest in creating games and there by creating more variety of games in the adverts.

Anyway, that's my idea and I just wanted to know what the GMs of the Workshop thought.

It sounds valuable. I'm thinking with some level of Wiki integration we could conceivably have some sort of DM roster with preferred, familiar, unfamiliar, and non-preferred systems listed so as to know who to go to with questions. For instance, I am highly skilled with 3.5e, 2e, and Basic D&D, but don't go asking me how to do something in 4e or SWSAGA.

A DM roster sounds okay, with the understanding that people shouldn't bug said DMs about running games unless they are specifically offering to do so--I know I personally don't have time to run a third game right now, much less in a system I'm not familiar with (which basically limits me to DnD3.5, though I have enough experience with WoD that I could -probably- cobble something together if I had to).

As far as getting threads up to ask about specific system problems, I think that should be left to the poster. It should be clearly stated in either to topic title or in the opening post what the system the topic is working in (presuming the discussion at hand is intrinsically linked to a specific system of course). I'm not certain it's necessary to go further than that, really.

I would third a DM roster, and, like Proven, would not want others to ask about running games unless the DM is offering to do so.