GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Running my first pbp game! Oh dear god help me...

Running my first pbp game! Oh dear god help me...

So I have been planning and piecing together a game for a while now. It uses existing published 3.5 games with slight twists and plot reworks. At the end of this week I have a month long break from school and would love to try running it.

Its somewhat unique, involving 1940's supers who get in a fight with a villain and end up getting dumped into your stereotypical D&D world. I dont want to give more then that in case any of you reading this join the game.

However I have a bit of a problem understanding the CRs and such. Specifically breaking up an encounter in separate rooms. Making a building with challenging foes, but still allowing them to not be instantly killed should they alert the other rooms. Adjusting for the few advantages I give them, and other various issues.

I need someone who could help me with this, either by answering questions or even Co-GMing... Assuming someone can tell me exactly what Co-GMing entails... They can even partake in the game if they promise to not use the extra info to ingame advantage.

This will involve both helping me balance the few encounters that arent premade, Maybe RPing any apprentice/sidekicks, and pointing out areas I have erred. As well of course as helping me figure out the mechanics fo the DMs side of MW, though that will only be a temporary issue.

I have planned to take the campaign to epic lvls, with it starting at either 5 or 6 and going at a half xp progression. I have already integrated about 10 premade adventures into it as well as 3 of my own design, taking it up to about lvl 18. And I have tons and tons of other ones I havnt even read yet.

So basically, would anyone be willing to help me out? Again, I need someone very experienced who is willing to help, as well as answer my 20 questions a day. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
However I have a bit of a problem understanding the CRs and such. Specifically breaking up an encounter in separate rooms. Making a building with challenging foes, but still allowing them to not be instantly killed should they alert the other rooms. Adjusting for the few advantages I give them, and other various issues.

I need someone who could help me with this, either by answering questions or even Co-GMing... Assuming someone can tell me exactly what Co-GMing entails... They can even partake in the game if they promise to not use the extra info to ingame advantage.
I can possibly co-DM, but not play (DMPCs irritate me, and I'd hate to be a hypocrite). I can also just answer questions if you want.

As for the initial problem, I think that this would fall under the context of "Easy if handled properly" on Table 3-2, page 49 of the v3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide.
Build the encounter with the same EL and monsters that you would build it with if all the monsters were in the same room. Then simply spread them out. The PCs should get the XP award for only the monsters that they encounter and defeat.

Quote:
This will involve both helping me balance the few encounters that arent premade, Maybe RPing any apprentice/sidekicks, and pointing out areas I have erred. As well of course as helping me figure out the mechanics fo the DMs side of MW, though that will only be a temporary issue.

I have planned to take the campaign to epic lvls, with it starting at either 5 or 6 and going at a half xp progression. I have already integrated about 10 premade adventures into it as well as 3 of my own design, taking it up to about lvl 18. And I have tons and tons of other ones I havnt even read yet.

So basically, would anyone be willing to help me out? Again, I need someone very experienced who is willing to help, as well as answer my 20 questions a day. lol
Yes, I can do that. I'm a very experienced Dungeon Master; been running games since AD&D. v3.5 is my specialty, with five total completed campaigns over about six years of gaming.

At the end of this week I have a month long break from school and would love to try running it.

Just remember that in PbP you're not going to get very far in a month. But hopefully by the end of the month you should be in the swing of things and the campaign should be running smoothly. But hopefully you are also planning on working in DM time into your regular schedule.

I will give this warning: DMing take a LOT more time than playing and always seems to take more time then you've allocated!

Would you be willing to RP sidekicks at least? I dont want to allow leadership, but the apprentice rules fill the sidekick void nicely. I may limit the group to just 1 sidekick.

Yeah I figured, I dont feel it will be an issue though, I'm moving in a year and plan on keeping my classload fairly low. And after the move, ill sill be addicted to this damn site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
Would you be willing to RP sidekicks at least? I dont want to allow leadership, but the apprentice rules fill the sidekick void nicely. I may limit the group to just 1 sidekick.
Sure.

However, one thing you need to know: I'm leaving for vacation this Friday, and don't know how often I'll be able to access the internet. Since you're doing PbP, though, this probably won't be an issue; it'll take a week to get everything set up.