Old Aug 16 '10, 6:23am
Great Wyrm

Turning Tides: Adventures in the City on Water [3e]

Turning Tides - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Applications so far (See below for the game description):

The list so far:
Terra Firma. Player: Maceo. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 8:52pm. Status: Complete.
Great Grimaldi. Player: Eternal. Last Edit Checked: Aug 24 '10 at 3:59am. Status: Complete.
Elijah Austin. Player: Shazam. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 6:55pm. Status: Complete.
Archive. Player: Pundemic. Last Edit Checked: Aug 26 '10 at 7:15am. Status: Complete.
Ouroboros. Player: vingolf. Last Edit Checked: Aug 17 '10 at 9:10pm. Status: Complete.
Guardian. Player: Mick the Rogue. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 11:01pm. Status: Complete.
Patrick Sanders. Player: Kaitou Kage. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:46am. Status: Missing appearance.
Jasmine DeLuca. Player: Selene. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 3:53am. Status: Complete.
Meteorknight. Player: Hardwire. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:29am. Status: Complete.
Shadowthurge. Player: Drakos. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 1:26am. Status: Missing Lots of fluff.
Remix. Player: Mask_De_H. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 10:59am. Status: Missing Everything.
Matters of Fact. Player: Eldritch_Myrmidon. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 1:53pm. Status: Missing Background.
Blackout. Player: glacier. Last Edit Checked: Aug 25 '10 at 4:12pm. Status: Complete.

Please tell us if we're missing your app or if the one linked isn't the correct/last updated version. Also, if you edit the app itself (as opposed to just the sheet), please inform us so we can check it again.
I'd also appreciate if you keep your app in the same post. Makes it easier to locate later.

Game Description:

The City on WaterAt the point where three rivers meet and form a lake, there is a city which has seen better days. A bustling hub of commerce thanks to its fortunate location, it once had everything it needed to become one of the greatest cities in the world...but lost it at some point, replaced by something far more cynical, tired, and willing to turn an eye on what was wrong and needed to be righted. A grey funk descended over it as the men in power traded in their zeal and dedication to their duties for the cold comfort of cash, and those in charge of enforcing the law decided that helping break it was far more profitable. The men and women who were far too worried about surviving from one day to the next did not have time for such sordidness and violence, but even they were subtly affected by the decadence that settled into the area. Over time, the place they called their home sunk into darkness, a veil of apathy so thick it could almost be touched on a bad day. The city lost its name and with it its identity, and today no one remembers its former glories. Nothing has changed in years, and if people remain set on their current course, nothing ever will.

But the world has changed. It has seen times of darkness and times of joy, and it has never stood still. And soon, some of that sense of purpose will seep into this forsakened city once more. Soon, the time will come for the tides to turn...

Hello everyone, and welcome to the dark little underworld of the City on Water. Me and Illien, the instigator of this game, are looking for 4 or 5 players who wish to partake in a DC Adventures game, using the Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds rules. Below are some details about the game for those who wish to try their hand at bringing some hope to a town that has lost its aim.

That's all. The turning of the tides is in your hands now. Will the City on Water disappear into the mists of history permanently? Or will it finally become the grand place it should always have been?

-

Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; Aug 31 '10 at 8:27pm..
Application Status: Completed!

Name: Owin Edmund
Alias: Archive
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 168lb
Hair: Pale-blonde
Eyes: Bright-green
Skin: Medium-fair
Additional Info: Suffers from moderate hay fever; Claustrophobic; Never drinks alcohol; Expert pianist.

Yikes, how in the heck did I miss this game?

I'm interested, as I always am for MnM. I'll come up with a character concept soon.

Well, we DID put the ad up a day or two ago, and we've taken our sweet time to work out the details. Not having seen it isn't that surprising, Kage. :P

Is the City of Water a large city with skyscrapers and warehouses and all that? Basically like Gotham in level of technology and urban-ness but just on water? Or is it another vibe altogether?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
Well, we DID put the ad up a day or two ago, and we've taken our sweet time to work out the details. Not having seen it isn't that surprising, Kage. :P
Haha, it's more that I find it the day after it's posted and it's already on page 4!

Nothing gets done by staying idle. :P

I'd heartily recommend upping the posts per page to 30 though. It's a key optimization concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch_Myrmidon View Post
Is the City of Water a large city with skyscrapers and warehouses and all that? Basically like Gotham in level of technology and urban-ness but just on water? Or is it another vibe altogether?
Not that many skycrappers, but a whole lot of tall buildings tho, even on the shortests areas you're seeing 5~6 floor stuff as the norm. And yep, it's rather industrial, particularly the main ports that receive heavy industrial cargo before sorting/shipping them off.
Think of it as a gotham-esque take on venice.

Okay, since the City on Water appears to be the eye of Satan's butthole and bad things happen there all the time, here's the gist of my character. It's not terribly unique on its own but it's a start.

Kid that spent most of his life in a boarding school/group foster home for underprivileged children. Not quite a proper orphanage since proper orphanages have gone out of style in the West. It's more of a state- or city-run public facility that takes care of both orphans and kids of parents that don't have time, ability, or inclination to be full-time. Needless to say, since it's a public facility and it caters to mostly lower-class people and underprivileged youth, it has kids with criminal behavior and personality disorders. It's not meant to be a correctional facility but it has a rigid system that makes it similar to a juvenile detention center. It's also a small facility, holding only fifty kids or so.

Short version: Technically it's not an orphanage but it serves pretty much the same purpose.

Anyhow, the facility was used to run certain experiments. Many foster children and orphans have psychological issues and the facility has funds to address these issues. Through this service, the facility also has the capability to mess with the kids. Kids were given certain test drugs as part of their daily "medicine" and responses were documented. I haven't decided on the purpose behind these drugs -- it could be something ambitious like attempting to create super-soldiers, or it could be something less overt like just messing around to see what impact certain drugs had on the kids. Alternatively it could be that the high-ups were experimenting with some kind of genetic engineering. Perhaps they actually wanted to help these kids become normal, successful people, but the experiments or drugs had side effects. The sort of "well-intentioned villain" scheme

Short version: Kids at the facility were test subjects for some kind of drug(s) or genetic experiments.

This led to some or all of the kids developing superhuman powers. Some came out more glaring than others -- a pyrokinetic will be more obvious than a telepath. Some kids couldn't handle the drug and died. Others' minds simply shattered. Some that displayed powers too dangerous were put down. In any case, my character emerges with some kind of powers (undecided at the moment, going to browse the powers and see what ideas strike me).

Short version: Some or all the kids got super-powers.

When my character was 12 (he's about 20 now), an accident occurred at the facility. Fire, earthquake, attack by someone that knew what was really going on, something like that. The facility was destroyed. All the adults were killed and most of the kids died, too. When the dust settled, my character was the oldest survivor and he had about ten or so other kids that looked to him as the "adult." My character has an affinity for the other kids and feels a responsibility to take care of them. Needless to say, this all causes him to grow up very quickly and learn how to be a leader and parent. So he and the others set out into the wilds of the City on Water to try and survive. They manage for the most part due to powers, being pitiable kids, and just being all around scrappy -- most of these kids survived the destruction of their home because they're resilient.

Short version: Orphanage explodes, some kids survive, my character ends up as leader.

Over the next several years, the kids evolve, their powers expand, and they grow up. Most are still in their teens, but most have also gone their own ways. Some of the younger ones still look to my character for support, but some have gone off with some of the other kids that sought out their own paths. They've all still got the bond from the orphanage and from their own struggles to survive once it was destroyed. That still counts for something even though contact between many of them is few and far between. Maybe some will show up later in the story, and some might be gone for good.

What I need to figure out are the following things:

First, why these kids didn't become a gang or turn totally to crime? My character may need a good role model to follow. Not a Batman and Robin set-up. Rather, something that has a presence in my character's life. A hero or an idol that he can look to often and say "I want to be like him." Someone that he sees as a guiding light in tough times. It could be someone as extravagant as Superman or someone local that my character respects but has no other link to. Is there anyone established that you GMs think would fit this bill?

Second, and probably easier to figure out, what these kids did to stay alive and how they avoided notice. Surely the city kept records of who was at their facility. It's possible the kids fell through the cracks when the facility was destroyed. Officials could have thought the survivors actually died. Or they could've learned to duck the law. In either case, they were sort of non-persons. Few legal rights before turning 18, no parents or legal guardians, possibly legally dead, no identities to speak of. It would've made for a very resourceful bunch of kids.

Third, what my character's powers actually are. The one thing about MnM is there are so many options it's sometimes hard to settle! That being said, I know what my likes and dislikes are, so I'll figure something out and read a few comics to try and get inspired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illien View Post
Not that many skycrappers, but a whole lot of tall buildings tho, even on the shortests areas you're seeing 5~6 floor stuff as the norm. And yep, it's rather industrial, particularly the main ports that receive heavy industrial cargo before sorting/shipping them off.
Think of it as a gotham-esque take on venice.
Thanks Illien. I've also come upon a rules question if you don't mind giving me your take on it--does growth increase reach?

It doesn't state it, which is odd.
Not that reach is particularly important in MnM, mind you; could probably be ad-hoc-ed or copied from elongation on the rare situations where it would make a difference.