Old Aug 16 '10, 6:23am
Great Wyrm

Turning Tides: Adventures in the City on Water [3e]

Turning Tides - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Applications so far (See below for the game description):

The list so far:
Terra Firma. Player: Maceo. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 8:52pm. Status: Complete.
Great Grimaldi. Player: Eternal. Last Edit Checked: Aug 24 '10 at 3:59am. Status: Complete.
Elijah Austin. Player: Shazam. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 6:55pm. Status: Complete.
Archive. Player: Pundemic. Last Edit Checked: Aug 26 '10 at 7:15am. Status: Complete.
Ouroboros. Player: vingolf. Last Edit Checked: Aug 17 '10 at 9:10pm. Status: Complete.
Guardian. Player: Mick the Rogue. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 11:01pm. Status: Complete.
Patrick Sanders. Player: Kaitou Kage. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:46am. Status: Missing appearance.
Jasmine DeLuca. Player: Selene. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 3:53am. Status: Complete.
Meteorknight. Player: Hardwire. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:29am. Status: Complete.
Shadowthurge. Player: Drakos. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 1:26am. Status: Missing Lots of fluff.
Remix. Player: Mask_De_H. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 10:59am. Status: Missing Everything.
Matters of Fact. Player: Eldritch_Myrmidon. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 1:53pm. Status: Missing Background.
Blackout. Player: glacier. Last Edit Checked: Aug 25 '10 at 4:12pm. Status: Complete.

Please tell us if we're missing your app or if the one linked isn't the correct/last updated version. Also, if you edit the app itself (as opposed to just the sheet), please inform us so we can check it again.
I'd also appreciate if you keep your app in the same post. Makes it easier to locate later.

Game Description:

The City on WaterAt the point where three rivers meet and form a lake, there is a city which has seen better days. A bustling hub of commerce thanks to its fortunate location, it once had everything it needed to become one of the greatest cities in the world...but lost it at some point, replaced by something far more cynical, tired, and willing to turn an eye on what was wrong and needed to be righted. A grey funk descended over it as the men in power traded in their zeal and dedication to their duties for the cold comfort of cash, and those in charge of enforcing the law decided that helping break it was far more profitable. The men and women who were far too worried about surviving from one day to the next did not have time for such sordidness and violence, but even they were subtly affected by the decadence that settled into the area. Over time, the place they called their home sunk into darkness, a veil of apathy so thick it could almost be touched on a bad day. The city lost its name and with it its identity, and today no one remembers its former glories. Nothing has changed in years, and if people remain set on their current course, nothing ever will.

But the world has changed. It has seen times of darkness and times of joy, and it has never stood still. And soon, some of that sense of purpose will seep into this forsakened city once more. Soon, the time will come for the tides to turn...

Hello everyone, and welcome to the dark little underworld of the City on Water. Me and Illien, the instigator of this game, are looking for 4 or 5 players who wish to partake in a DC Adventures game, using the Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds rules. Below are some details about the game for those who wish to try their hand at bringing some hope to a town that has lost its aim.

That's all. The turning of the tides is in your hands now. Will the City on Water disappear into the mists of history permanently? Or will it finally become the grand place it should always have been?

-

Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; Aug 31 '10 at 8:27pm..
Will do. I'll sit and think on this for the night and see what ideas come up. I take it from your "you don't have to have a DCA sheet yet" part that I don't have to have this 100% settled in the application process?

His minions will have Controlled and Mental Link since they're projections of his own emotions rather than independent entities.

It says you can summon different creatures if you take the Variable Type extra for +1/rank. Is that what you mean as a gross point sink or just regular Variable? I figure if he has this sort of thing I could build some templates and leave some points for a little flexibility in each model based on the situation.

EDIT: Because I took forever to write this, Illien got in there before me and clarified most of what I was considering. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
Oooh, so a sort of Supermanish type (not taking powers into account)? Color me interested.
I guess. Just threw a first draft concept together to try and congeal some of my ideas. Thoughts?

Concept: A model from a parallel time-line which is idyllic and bright is helping to showcase a new device to optimize genetics, stop aging, and end genetic diseases. The device works flawlessly in trials so when Jasmine lays into the chamber with a wave to the crowd nobody guessed that the quantum capacitor had been damaged in transit. When the device is turned on it works as expected until the damaged capacitor overloads; shunting the affected model to a dark and twisted reflection of the city she had called home. What was worse is that she was little more than a ghost, passing right through anything; though over the coming weeks she learned to manifest herself physically. This city was a mockery of every ideal she had been raised to believe in and she was now empowered to strike out against that corruption. As news spread of the heroics of the strange woman she found that the growing fame was an inroads to rebuild her career anew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
Second idea makes liberal use of the Alternate Form lineup. I find the different suggestions for forms very intriguing and I think it'd be interesting to play a character whose atomic makeup is so malleable that it can shift between different states of matter and energy while still maintaining his same basic shape. I'd probably attach some drawbacks that prolong the transformation time because this would make him very versatile. The main thing I'm worried about is someone who has a fire form and an electricity form and an air form and a stone/metal form and etc., etc., is probably too much all at once. So while it sounds like a neat idea it also sounds like it's just a little munchy and I don't intend to be a munchkin. Perhaps the power is random -- he can change to another form but can't control which form unless he uses Extra Effort (he can assume his normal form without)
I made up a character that could do that for 2e. He was called Isotope.

Alright, glad to see this ad came together! I've been busy recently but have quietly followed along and been crafting a character concept. It still needs some polish and the character sheet is very experimental at this stage, but it's ready for an early look at this point I think.

Good luck everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illien View Post
It doesn't state it, which is odd.
Not that reach is particularly important in MnM, mind you; could probably be ad-hoc-ed or copied from elongation on the rare situations where it would make a difference.
Yeah I'm not too concerned about it mechanically, as reach really isn't terribly useful. I just feel as though it's odd to be thirty feet tall without reach, so I would want to express that mechanically somehow.

P.S. If I have time I'll have the beginnings of an application up tomorrow. Anyone can feel free to shoot some growth related attack powers my way if you feel so inclined (details and sheet are still in the works so don't worry about PP).

Patrick Sanders

In progress

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown

Motivations and ComplicationsDoing Good: Pat's a vigilante inspired by someone he perceives as a hero. He's spent most of his life as an unofficial parent for a group of kids and still has a few he takes care of. Pat has also seen that some people have tried to make a difference in this city. It's made a difference in his life, for sure. He's determined to "give back" to the City and try to make it a better place for others just like his idols made it a better place for him. This goes into Justice.

Justice: Pat still carries some of the scars from when he lived in the orphanage. What happened there was wrong and Pat's determined to see it never happens again. He takes special interest in the plight of children like him -- kids that need homes, kids that are mistreated and abused, kids that are homeless. He has some fatherly tendencies, but without a real father figure of his own, he is sometimes misguided in his approach to both justice and fatherhood.

Identity: Pat is technically dead. When the foster care center was destroyed, no survivors were found by officials and the records were destroyed. If he came out and announced his identity, he could probably fix the matter but it would draw a lot of attention. As a result, any identity or identities he carries are fake or illegal.

Responsibility: Though it's entirely unofficial, Pat is the caretaker for several children of different ages. Some of the children he takes care of are as young as ten years old. Several of the children he originally led have gotten old enough to go their own ways but Pat tries to keep contact. He still feels protective of them and feels that bond through their lives at the orphanage. If the government ever finds out the kids are still alive, they may try and take the kids from Pat. It would be hard for Pat to make his case, too, since he's technically dead and doesn't fit the legal definition of a stable house.

Power Loss: Sort of. When Pat experiences extreme emotions and sensations, an avatar can spontaneously manifest. That avatar is not as controllable as his normal avatars are and while it won't hurt Pat himself (Pat has no suicidal tendencies and the psyche does not want to hurt itself), it will always seek the source of Pat's emotion. Pat's mind is not sufficiently advanced to manifest multiple avatars, so a spontaneously-created avatar prevents him from using his other avatars.

Pyrophobia: Pat nearly died in the fire that destroyed his home. He's not afraid of fire in general but he is afraid of the large, building-consuming fires. Essentially anything larger than a campfire or a fireplace fire makes him edgy at best and irrational at worst. Exposure to his phobia can cause his Avatar of Fear to unintentionally manifest. This phobia also explains why his Avatar of Fear has fiery traits; it reflects what he is most afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
I made up a character that could do that for 2e. He was called Isotope.
I'll sit on the concept. I like the idea, but I like my telepath even more.

How did Isotope work out for you? I'm curious how the multiple-alternate-forms concept plays out in-game.