Old Aug 16 '10, 6:23am
Great Wyrm

Turning Tides: Adventures in the City on Water [3e]

Turning Tides - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Applications so far (See below for the game description):

The list so far:
Terra Firma. Player: Maceo. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 8:52pm. Status: Complete.
Great Grimaldi. Player: Eternal. Last Edit Checked: Aug 24 '10 at 3:59am. Status: Complete.
Elijah Austin. Player: Shazam. Last Edit Checked: Aug 18 '10 at 6:55pm. Status: Complete.
Archive. Player: Pundemic. Last Edit Checked: Aug 26 '10 at 7:15am. Status: Complete.
Ouroboros. Player: vingolf. Last Edit Checked: Aug 17 '10 at 9:10pm. Status: Complete.
Guardian. Player: Mick the Rogue. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 11:01pm. Status: Complete.
Patrick Sanders. Player: Kaitou Kage. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:46am. Status: Missing appearance.
Jasmine DeLuca. Player: Selene. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 3:53am. Status: Complete.
Meteorknight. Player: Hardwire. Last Edit Checked: Aug 21 '10 at 11:29am. Status: Complete.
Shadowthurge. Player: Drakos. Last Edit Checked: Aug 20 '10 at 1:26am. Status: Missing Lots of fluff.
Remix. Player: Mask_De_H. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 10:59am. Status: Missing Everything.
Matters of Fact. Player: Eldritch_Myrmidon. Last Edit Checked: Aug 22 '10 at 1:53pm. Status: Missing Background.
Blackout. Player: glacier. Last Edit Checked: Aug 25 '10 at 4:12pm. Status: Complete.

Please tell us if we're missing your app or if the one linked isn't the correct/last updated version. Also, if you edit the app itself (as opposed to just the sheet), please inform us so we can check it again.
I'd also appreciate if you keep your app in the same post. Makes it easier to locate later.

Game Description:

The City on WaterAt the point where three rivers meet and form a lake, there is a city which has seen better days. A bustling hub of commerce thanks to its fortunate location, it once had everything it needed to become one of the greatest cities in the world...but lost it at some point, replaced by something far more cynical, tired, and willing to turn an eye on what was wrong and needed to be righted. A grey funk descended over it as the men in power traded in their zeal and dedication to their duties for the cold comfort of cash, and those in charge of enforcing the law decided that helping break it was far more profitable. The men and women who were far too worried about surviving from one day to the next did not have time for such sordidness and violence, but even they were subtly affected by the decadence that settled into the area. Over time, the place they called their home sunk into darkness, a veil of apathy so thick it could almost be touched on a bad day. The city lost its name and with it its identity, and today no one remembers its former glories. Nothing has changed in years, and if people remain set on their current course, nothing ever will.

But the world has changed. It has seen times of darkness and times of joy, and it has never stood still. And soon, some of that sense of purpose will seep into this forsakened city once more. Soon, the time will come for the tides to turn...

Hello everyone, and welcome to the dark little underworld of the City on Water. Me and Illien, the instigator of this game, are looking for 4 or 5 players who wish to partake in a DC Adventures game, using the Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds rules. Below are some details about the game for those who wish to try their hand at bringing some hope to a town that has lost its aim.

That's all. The turning of the tides is in your hands now. Will the City on Water disappear into the mists of history permanently? Or will it finally become the grand place it should always have been?

-

Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; Aug 31 '10 at 8:27pm..
Reposting for Ease of Access

Jasmine DeLuca

Concept: A model from a parallel time-line which is idyllic and bright is helping to showcase a new device to optimize genetics, stop aging, and end genetic diseases. The device works flawlessly in trials so when Jasmine lays into the chamber with a wave to the crowd nobody guessed that the quantum capacitor had been damaged in transit. When the device is turned on it works as expected until the damaged capacitor overloads; shunting the affected model to a dark and twisted reflection of the city she had called home. What was worse is that she was little more than a ghost, passing right through anything; though over the coming weeks she learned to manifest herself physically. This city was a mockery of every ideal she had been raised to believe in and she was now empowered to strike out against that corruption. As news spread of the heroics of the strange woman she found that the growing fame was an inroads to rebuild her career anew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos
I'm not sure of the size of the city, but I know that 16 miles wouldn't be big enough to cross the city I live in. 16 miles doesn't even get me from the edge of city to the center.
Eh, depends on definition of 'city limits.' Usually 16 miles will get you into the suburbs from the center, although I visit LA every summer and I know that place is a B**** to get across 'cuz it's so spread out. Then again, do you really need to get there in 6 seconds? (Now that I've mentioned it and the GMs see it, you probably will ^^).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos
I'm not sure about using equipment for Defensive Roll. It is supposed to be dodging an attack. If I wanted to allot the defenses to equipment it would be Armor (portection) I would think.
Ah, well, that's what I meant. Trade Defensive Roll for a rank in equipment and get some body armor. Not exactly in theme, but more cost effective. Gotta remember to put it on, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
Likely to get chopped?
Unless you can find a really good excuse for allowing a character 40 points over the cap, yes. :P

Finally getting around to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
I'd say my avatar of awesomeness can be any color it wants. Because it's just that awesome.

I'm still throwing around ideas for powers. I usually end up building my characters from scratch 3 or 4 times before I'm finally satisfied >_>

Here're my latest thoughts, including a selection of six avatars I think I'm most likely to use. Anything in the power line that has a ? is something I don't know if I'm going to include or don't know if I can include.

Immunity 1 (Summoned Creature Effects): Because the avatars are projections of Patrickís psyche, they cannot and will not hurt him directly (even when uncontrolled, they're still extensions of his own mind). That being said, people hurt themselves indirectly pretty often, so while his Avatar of Fury canít punch him, it might accidentally knock a wall over on him. Should this require the Immunity power or should it be self-evident?

Telepathy (Communication 2; Mental; Mind Reading): Self-explanatory

Good Luck, Bad Luck (Array): Still working out the details. Here are some things I have been tossing around. I am trying to keep the base power for this Array within the 15-20 point margin since I still have to spend points on other things. After each one is a brief idea of how it could potentially play out.

Luck Control - Maxed
Dazzle (Visual) - pressurized pipe bursts and sprays in targetís face
Affliction (hindered; immobilized; incapacitated) - stepped in a pothole and sprained ankle
Affliction (impaired; disabled; unaware or incapacitated) - surprise tiger jumps out and bites sleeve (or, more realistically, the gun jams or aim is way off)
Damage (low-damage, perception range) - anvil (or piece of Topeka) falls on head.
Enhanced Trait (Dodge or Fortitude or Will) - pigeon suddenly flies in the way and takes the shot
Deflect - Similar to enhanced dodge

As a separate powerset, Patrick may get most of his defense bonuses out of his Luck powers instead of having them natural.

Avatar Aura (On all Avatars; Mind Control; Emotions Only; Limited to Single Emotion; Area: Aura; Permanent; Selective?; Linked to Enhanced XYZ?): All Avatars project an aura of influence around them. People and beings close to the avatars can begin to experience the emotion the avatar represents. This does not identify the avatar as the source of the emotion; it brings out latent emotions within the targetís mind. For example, if a personís in fisticuffs against someone he dislikes, the avatar of Hatred may turn the dislike into full-fledged hatred and cause the fisticuffs to become deadly. Depending on points, Patrick may be able to control who is affected by the aura. Depending on the emotion, the aura may provide bonuses or penalties.

Avatar Backlash (Flaw on Summon): Patrick will take damage if his summoned avatar is destroyed due to damage. Ideas:

- Patrick must make a resistance check as if he had also been the target of the attack (perhaps his resistance check always uses Will since it effectively becomes an attack on his psyche?).
- Patrick suffers psychic backlash damage and must make another check to avoid suffering more damage.
- Patrick takes a set type of damage and becomes (dazed/staggered/unconscious) if he (or his avatar) fails a resistance check.

Also, if an avatar is destroyed, that avatar cannot be resummoned until Patrick rests. Since his Summon has Variable Type, itíd have to be something like his ability to tap that part of his brain for power is blocked or the emotional energy has to recharge itself. So if Anger is killed, then Anger and any variations thereof that arenít already specifically established as separate avatars canít be resummoned. In other other words, Iím not allowed to play semantics games to get my avatar back :P

Note that even if the avatar is destroyed, it can be unwittingly resummoned according to Patís Power Loss complication.

What sort of value should I assign to this? Flat -X? -1/rank?

Avatars (Summon; Controlled; Mental Link; Variable Type; Activation Time?; Recharge Time?)
Under each avatar are a couple other emotions that might evoke that avatar's presence

Avatar of Fury: Warrior/Brick type, high strength, hard-hitting attacks, temporary Strength or Fighting ability boosts to self (maybe to others). May be somewhat close-area focused.
Anger, Irritation

Avatar of Hatred: Similar Fury, but much more damage, much less defense. Can cause harm to self or Patrick to gain even more boosts than Fury. Probably more single-target focused on the object of hatred.
Disgust, Contempt, Desperation

Avatar of Fear: Patís avatar of fear manifests as a fiery blaster type. Flight, an array of fire control, some mind control and similar effects related to causing fear and terror.
Anxiety, Helplessness

Avatar of Confidence: A more tanky sort of avatar with well-balanced defense and offense. It can take hits and dish them out and it moves carefully and precisely; has the patience and ability to whittle down the enemy over time and the strength to weather its opponentís attacks.
Determination, Courage

Avatar of Relief: Counter to fear, relief is a guardian avatar, full of protections, wards, and escapes. It may also have some blaster capabilities since itís partially derived from fear.
Protectiveness

Avatar of Authority: Figurative powerhouse that pushes opponents around. Some mind control, knockback attacks or trips, things to keep the enemy down, though not necessarily through brute force like Anger or Hatred.
Egotism, Presumptiousness, Arrogance

Other avatars I may include at the start are Loneliness and Playfulness/Joy. But six is a good start.
Luck Control: Looks good.

Immunity: Doesn't it say your summons are helpful to you automatically? If so you should be OK...though yes, if you want immunity to collateral damage you have to buy it.

Backlash:

A) First option is a gimp. Your defense will be underpowered and you'll feel it. Heartily recommend you don't pursue this angle.
B) Previously discussed option, nothing new.
C) Excessively punishing. Five or six opportunities to become automatically staggered each encounter? Jeeze.

Assign a -1/rank to it, unless Ill finds it excessively cheap.

Avatars: Looks good. I actually envisioned Hatred as one of the few abilities that I'd actually allow Move and Free (1/round) attacks on, at the cost of heavy penalties such as fatigue and exhaustion, but the rest is fine.

Raise the cap and give us all 40 extra points? =)

Edit: also updated my sheet to take out the attack extra for now and rolled the points into wraithstrike to fix its costs. Have two points floating that I am undecided over where to put them. Maybe some advantages =)

Hell naw. That'd make things way too easy. We'll likely hand out cap increases eventually, but they'll have to be earned.

(no, seriously, 40 points over the cap, even if I DID NOT raise the power level, would allow so much insane stuff it wouldn't even be funny. You always have to trim a lot from your character, especially if you're making a Norm, and those 40 bonus points would allow for far too much resilience and versatility)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
Unless you can find a really good excuse for allowing a character 40 points over the cap, yes. :P
Actually I've gotten it down to 7 point over by making adjustments suggested here. That includes both teleports . Here is the current construction for the teleports. I think I have these teleport constructed correctly. Please let me know if this is correct or not. Thanks

Aportation I: Teleport 5 = 23 pp
--- Accurate (+1/r)
--- Change Direction (+1)
--- Change Velocity (+1)
--- Subtle (+1)
--- Increased Mass 4 (+4)
--- Turnabout (+1)

Apportation II: Teleport 5 (Virtual 10 r) = 15 pp
--- Accurate (+1/r)
--- Stacks with Apportation I (+0/r)
--- Extended (+1/r; 5 ranks only)
--- Limited [In Cities] (-1/r; 5 ranks only)

I believe that the result here is:
In cities I have 10 ranks of teleport for a range of 4 miles, Mass 800 lbs. with Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Subtle, Turnabout. Extended range of 30 miles.

Outside of cities I have 5 ranks of teleport with 900 ft., Mass 800 lbs. with Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Subtle, Turnabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
Immunity: Doesn't it say your summons are helpful to you automatically? If so you should be OK...though yes, if you want immunity to collateral damage you have to buy it.
hurrdurr that was dumb of me :B I can read. I really can. I promise I just...sometimes forget things.

Quote:
Backlash:

A) First option is a gimp. Your defense will be underpowered and you'll feel it. Heartily recommend you don't pursue this angle.
B) Previously discussed option, nothing new.
C) Excessively punishing. Five or six opportunities to become automatically staggered each encounter? Jeeze.

Assign a -1/rank to it, unless Ill finds it excessively cheap.
Righto. I am not familiar with proper intensity of punishment in this system yet since I haven't gotten much hands-on time with it.

Quote:
Avatars: Looks good. I actually envisioned Hatred as one of the few abilities that I'd actually allow Move and Free (1/round) attacks on, at the cost of heavy penalties such as fatigue and exhaustion, but the rest is fine.
Awesome.

I am still debating on whether the avatars have Stamina points and right now I'm leaning toward "no" since they're psychic constructs. To my mind, it doesn't make sense that they should be able to exert extra effort or be subject to fatigue, etc. On the other hand, there are benefits to having Stamina.

I may also see if I can work in a sensory link effect between Pat and his avatars and have him develop some avatars that would make use of that.

Really, the Lantern Corps will have a field day with this kid.

Anyway, I'll work on Patrick's sheet and try to have him and at least one Avatar written up before the applications close. Probably Avatar of Fury since that's the one I see getting summoned most often for combat.