The Russell House, Part I

   
The Russell House, Part I

Storyteller 11:17 pm
This adventure will begin approximately seven months after the current adventure in-thread (please don't die in this adventure, I'd hate to have to remove this from canon)
Caelan 11:17 pm
<.< same character sheets?
Storyteller 11:17 pm
yup.
Storyteller 11:18 pm
Any other questions or comments?
Did my internet blip again?
Erin 11:19 pm
what are the chances of dying in the clockwork adventure? if it's high i'll try and not do anyting useful. :P
Storyteller 11:20 pm
um.... lowish unless you happen to charge Wormwood.
Ilkin 11:20 pm
go go go :P
Erin 11:20 pm
*looks at rakesh*
alright!
Caelan 11:20 pm
Woah
Storyteller 11:21 pm
Right then! If no one has anything else to say, I shall begin! As always, || to mark the end of a post.
Storyteller 11:23 pm
It was an overcast May evening when Rakesh Morgan dragged you out to the London Borough of Brent to look at something. He did not explain what, which was unfortunately not unusual when dealing with the werewolf. He tended to not give explanations unless forced to at knife-point.
Storyteller 11:28 pm
The 'something' in question turned out to be a house, located in one of the more upscale parts of Brent. A two-story Edwardian Townhouse, as a matter of fact, with pale walls and large windows, nestled between a bookstore on one side and a coffee shop on the other. It was a tall, stately structure, larger than either of it's more modern neighbors, with large windows hidden by cream-colored curtains, two floors, an attic beneath an arched roof, and a discreet plaque marking it as "The Russell House."
"What do you think?" Rakesh said as you emerged from your various cars and other methods of transportation to find the half-Indian man in a somewhat strange mood. He seemed... gleeful. Rakesh was never gleeful unless it involved ancient horrors or occult monstrosities in some fashion. Nearby, a rather pretty British Indian woman leaned against the door, watched Rakesh, and sighed. ||
Caelan 11:31 pm
Caelan frowned at Rakesh. Then she spotted the woman, and frowned deeper. ||
Erin 11:31 pm
"The curtains might look better with lace," was all Erin had to say.||
Ilkin 11:32 pm
"I am not buying this house for you," Ilkin commented wryly.
Storyteller 11:34 pm
"I hate all of you." Rakesh said drily. He ruined the effect by bursting into a grin. "You are looking, my friends, at the location of... Morgan's Antiques! Future location, at any rate, once I get it fixed up. And I bought it all on my own, Ilkin, so thank you very much." ||
Ilkin 11:34 pm
"Where in the sodding Abyss did you get the money?" Ilkin glared suspiciously at Rakesh.
Erin 11:35 pm
"Eeee!" Erin replied giddily, letting her vine fingers wind together in excitement. "That's lovely, Mr. Rakesh! I love antiques!" ||
Caelan 11:36 pm
"I--oh," Caelan said, letting the muscles in her white face relax. "Then ah...who's...?" ||
Storyteller 11:37 pm
"I had to take out a loan, and I shan't be seeing my flat any time soon, but Russell House went very cheaply, all things considered. So I shall soon be leaving the National Trust to open my own business. After renovations, at any rate. Who's what, Cae?"
Storyteller 11:38 pm
"Rak forgot to mention that the reason he's leaving the National Trust is because they're firing him." The British Indian woman said mildly, straightening out to wave to you. "Hello everyone. I'm Jane. Long time no see Ilkin." ||
Caelan has left the room. 11:39 pm
Caelan has been invited. 11:40 pm
Caelan has entered the room. 11:40 pm
Storyteller 11:40 pm
[Carry on!]
Ilkin 11:40 pm
"Firing him?" Ilkin forgot his manners for a second to whirl on Rakesh. "What for?" ||
Caelan 11:41 pm
"Oh, Jane. I'm sorry!" She put forward her hands to shake Jane's. They were covered in knit gloves. ||
((hand, just one hand >.> ))
Erin 11:42 pm
Erin didn't react my to the news. She got fired all the time - it hadn't occurred to her other people might not. ||
*much
Storyteller 11:43 pm
Rakesh coughed a few times then started staring at the house with a sudden burst of fascination. Jane took Cae's hand with a quick grin and then stepped into to fill the gap. "They caught Rak in a graveyard with a shovel. He managed to bargain out of a grave-robbing charge since it was his first time, but it was trespassing, he's got... how many hours of community service?" "Two hundred." "And the National Trust gave him his notice." Jane finished. She seemed more amused than sympathetic.||
Ilkin 11:44 pm
"How unlucky," Ilkin muttered. Then he smiled at Jane. "Good to see you again." ||
Caelan 11:46 pm
Cae followed Jane for the moment, but she said, "Really? Really? Grave-robbing?" and sighed. ||
Erin 11:48 pm
"Did you get what you were digging up?" Erin asked curiously.||
Storyteller 11:48 pm
"It was in the name of knowledge." Rakesh muttered defensively. "It's hard to get medical cadavers when you're not a doctor..."
Ilkin 11:48 pm
"Dare I ask?" Ilkin asked cautiously. ||
Storyteller 11:49 pm
"Nope, he didn't. Probably the only reason he got out of jail-time." Jane said with entirely too much schadenfreude. ||
Erin 11:50 pm
"I could try and make one," Erin offered. It probably didn't do to think on that offer.||
Ilkin 11:51 pm
"I am never letting him bring me to a graveyard again," Ilkin muttered dourly. ||
Caelan 11:51 pm
"Rakesh," she reprimanded simply, and left it at that. She looked at Erin. "Make a cadaver? You don't mean..." Cae didn't think Erin was good at metaphors. ||
Erin 11:52 pm
"Like, out of plastic maybe," Erin continued.||
Ilkin 11:53 pm
Erin's weirdness didn't seem to bother Ilkin much, but he dealt with changelings on a fairly regular basis. ||
Caelan 11:54 pm
She had to check at any rate. She also didn't think Erin was one to randomly murder, but then, you know, they'd only met a few months before. Anyway, Cae waited for Jane and Rakesh. "So, about this shop?" ||
Storyteller 11:54 pm
"Ah...! Much appreciated, but I'll pass." Rakesh said, gazing curiously at Erin. He cleared his throat. "Anyway... I have decided to strike a blow against the tyranny of the system--" "Specifically the parts that fired him." "...Thank you Jane --and go into business for myself. Selling antiques and old books. A friend of mine at the Trust--" "Who hadn't heard about the grave-robbing." "...Thank you Jane-- told me about the Russell House, which was going for a song, comparatively speaking." ||
Erin 11:56 pm
"Which song?" Erin asked with an innocent smile. "Opera?"||
Ilkin 11:57 pm
"La Boheme, to be precise," Ilkin muttered aside. "And so you bought it?" The Mage looked the place up and down again. "Why?"
Storyteller 11:57 pm
"The song of clinking money, which I was thereafter forced to give them, sadly." Rakesh said with long-suffering patience. "Why not, Ilkin?" ||
Ilkin 11:57 pm
"You have no money," the mage pointed out, "If this business of yours does not work, what are you going to do?" ||
Caelan 11:58 pm
Cae rolled her eyes and shrugged at Jane. She hated when they bickered. ||
Storyteller 11:59 pm
"I'm not that broke..." Rakesh pointed out. "I've some savings, and a loan. Worst comes to worst bankruptcy court is survivable." Jane shrugged, commisserating with Cae. ||
Ilkin 12:00 am
Ilkin shook his head. "Well all right. Congratulations." ||
Erin 12:00 am
Erin stayed silent and just glanced between Rakesh, Cae and Jane, having lost anything relevant to the conversation once it had strayed from Opera.||
Caelan 12:02 am
Cae crossed her arms. "So? Do you know how to run a shop? I don't." ||
Storyteller 12:03 am
"Course, the reason Rak got this place so cheap is because the Trust doesn't want anything to do with it any more." Jane said, stretching lazily. "They tried to run a little museum here, but hardly anyone came. I had to listen to Rak jabber on the way here." She added by way of explanation for how she had this knowledge. ||
Ilkin 12:04 am
Ilkin frowned at Jane, glanced at Rakesh, and then threw his hands up. A moment later, he became more congenial. "Do you know why they had problems? Ghosts?" ||
Erin 12:04 am
"Seems pretty common with the museums around here," Erin noted. ||
Storyteller 12:07 am
[Kage...] "Russell House was formerly the property of a Colonel William Russell, a Theosophist and occultist. His library is still on the premises, actually." Rakesh said, spreading his hand. "I'm hoping to find out the exact problem, assuming there is one beyond general negative aura." ||
Ilkin 12:08 am
"Negative Aura?" Ilkin turned his gaze on the house again and focused. ( Mage Sight: Sybil's Sight )
Ilkin squinted and stepped back a pace. "There's...a lot going on there." ||
Caelan 12:10 am
Cae perked up a little. "Theosophist, eh?...What's the matter, Ilkin?" || (Um, Heightened Senses just in case >_> )
Storyteller 12:10 am
"To be honest, the other reason I was interested in this place was that it has a Locus on the premises. It's highly spiritually active, which in and of itself might explain the reactions." Rakesh said, looking at Ilkin curiously. ||
Ilkin 12:11 am
"There is..." Ilkin shook his head and rubbed his eyes, then squinted up again. "The entire building resonates in my ears. So much of it does. It's hard to pinpoint what from here." ||
Caelan 12:12 am
"Greeaaaat, you've done it again." Cae shook her head at Rakesh. ||
Storyteller 12:13 am
"Done what?" Rakesh said. He sounded as innocent as Erin, just then. ||
Ilkin 12:15 am
"Don't encourage him," Ilkin murmured to Cae. He looked up again. "Here, I'll show you."
Ilkin 12:16 am
Ilkin walked up to Rakesh and placed his hands at the werewolf's temples, and then concentrated. (Bestowing the Sight on him)
Erin 12:16 am
"Yeah, there's certainly something about this place," Erin said, antenna waving at the house.||
Caelan 12:17 am
Cae pretended to do some voodoo by crossing her eyes and putting her fingers to her temples. "Oh yes, I can read the aura of the soul of this house..." ||
Ilkin 12:18 am
Ilkin repeated the gesture for Cae's benefit so she could see and stop being a snarker. ||
Storyteller 12:20 am
"Hrm. I gathered as much from preliminary investigations, as a matter of fact. It's interesting in that it has a form-fitting Shadow presence. Significant resonance." Rakesh said, musing. "I would expect to find some murders, possibly a buried corpse, though I haven't read of anything occurring here." ||
Ilkin 12:20 am
( It says he Sybil's Sight usually manifests as a certain "thickness" or "gravity" or a tangling of threads when people view things that have significant fate resonance. )
Caelan has left the room. 12:21 am
Storyteller 12:21 am
[There is definitely fate resonance here on a large scale. This seems to be an Important Location. Not quite a Very Important Location, but definitely an Important Location]
Caelan has been invited. 12:21 am
Ilkin 12:22 am
"When we get closer, I can see what links to what and how strong it is." ||
Caelan has been invited. 12:23 am
naiamatahlas has been invited. 12:23 am
Invitation result for buddy naiamatahlas : naiamatahlas is not available. 12:23 am
Caelan has been invited. 12:24 am
Caelan has been invited. 12:25 am
Caelan has entered the room. 12:25 am
OnlineHost 12:25 am
Caelan rolled 8 10-sided dice: 2 10 3 4 1 2 1 4
Storyteller 12:25 am
[She returns!]
OnlineHost 12:25 am
Caelan rolled 1 10-sided die: 2
Caelan 12:25 am
((I am going to murder something))
Ilkin 12:26 am
( Did you get the bits about Sybil's Sight?
Storyteller 12:27 am
[I copied it over, yes]
Erin 12:27 am
"It reminds me of one of the Mistress' drawing rooms," Erin mused.||
Caelan 12:27 am
Cae slapped Ilkin's hand away. "Woah," she said, in perfect Keanu Reeves imitation. "I didn't know I could do that." ||
Storyteller 12:28 am
"How so?" Rakesh asked, leaving Cae and Ilkin to their own decides briefly. ||
Caelan 12:29 am
"I didn't..." she blinked and looked up at the house. It had a color. Like, above it. ||
Erin 12:30 am
"Full of old treasures and darkness," Erin replied, as she walked back in forth in front of the house to examine it. "There were always things lurking in the shadows for us."||
Ilkin 12:30 am
"Hmm?" Ilkin watched Cae. ||
Storyteller 12:30 am
Rakesh glanced guiltily at the ground. His shadow twitched. "Well, I'm hoping to fill it with old treasures. Possibly a bit of atmospheric darkness." He didn't mention things lurking in the shadows. ||
Caelan 12:31 am
Cae glanced at Erin, finding her slightly morbid. Or, equally morbid to her friends. Then she turned to Rakesh and pointed to the edge of the house. "I see it. It doesn't trust you. Er, us." ||
Erin 12:32 am
"I'll help you, Mr. Rakesh. I loved the Mistress' old treasures," Erin smiled cheerfully. "I could make some for you, but Mr. Hammond told me that's not how things work here." ||
Storyteller 12:33 am
"Er... I may yet take you up on it. Say again Cae?" Rakesh said, frowning momentarily.
Jane looked up at the house then back at Cae. "You're not speaking metaphorically." ||
Caelan 12:36 am
Cae blushed, and yes that was still possible, so don't act so surprised. "I, uh..." she dropped her hand. "You know. Don't ask me. It just is." ||
Erin 12:37 am
"It doesn't have any reason to trust us. We've only just met," Erin shrugged. ||

(9:38:42 PM) Calean: Cae almost laughed, but her smile faltered. ||
(9:39:05 PM) Storyteller: "Er... this is true." Rakesh said, not quite having a good answer to that. Jane was now staring at Erin strangely. Rakesh Morgan continued. "So...! Shall we go on in and introduce ourselves?" ||
(9:39:24 PM) Ilkin: "Yes, yes," Ilkin murmured, "Let's be off." ||
(9:40:11 PM) Storyteller: "I meant go inside." Rakesh said, sotto voce. ||
(9:40:23 PM) Erin: Erin walked up to the door and knocked. It seemed polite.||
(9:41:07 PM) Storyteller: At her touch, the door swung open soundlessly. It apparently hadn't been locked. ||
(9:41:38 PM) Ilkin: "Charming," Ilkin said wryly. He headed on in. Though he kept one hand on his gun just in case. ||
(9:41:42 PM) Calean: Cae just eyed the door suspiciously. "S'all right, old boy. Juuust want to help..." ||
(9:42:36 PM) Erin: "Erin Lamothe, Miss Cae, Mr. Rakesh, Mr. Clements, and Miss Jane," Erin announced everyone, as if walking into a noble's party. Then she followed them in.||
(9:43:06 PM) Storyteller: "Rak, you're a creep. Just want you to know that before we all die." Jane said, then strode up into the house.
(9:43:22 PM) Storyteller: Rakesh stared at the house for a moment, muttered something, and followed the rest of you inside.
(9:44:30 PM) Storyteller: [Now, a question! Do we want to call it a night here?]





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us