Notices

FR - Desert of Desolation

Old Dec 21 '10, 4:00pm
Great Wyrm

FR - Desert of Desolation

FR - Desert of Desolation - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 5

IntroDeep blue mists of the night swirl over the sands of Raurin, the incomparable Desert of Dust. As the cool night air drains the heat from the sand, you and your friends huddle around your campfire, glancing nervously at the giant pyramid in the distance.

Gradually, the winds change direction, bearing a thin streak of white mist toward you from the pyramid. It swirls and takes shape as a faceless man dressed in ancient robes and an ornate head-piece; moonlight shining through his ghostly body and robes, he lifts his arms toward the pyramid and speaks. It was magic that conveyed you all to Braila, and an ancient map that guided you through the pass in The Dustwall. But it was, after all, the tales that finally brought you to this place - tales of endless wealth, of spirit-guarded pyramids, of crystalline obelisks, of gemstones with mysterious properties.

Now, as the haunted voice of the spectre before you begins his tale, you wonder if the treasure and the quest are worth the price...perhaps your very lives. Are you really the heroes of the prophecies, those who will overcome the foretold tests, and those for whom the treasure awaits? It is time to search your hearts before you venture further into the Desert of Desolation

DM: I've been on Myth-Weavers for almost two years without any long unexplained absences. I've played D&D since the early 80s and have DMed all four editions. The Desert of Desolation was always one of my favorites from 1st edition, originally written my Tracy & Laura Hickman I am adapting the 2nd edition version edited by John Wheeler for my tabletop game and thought running here will help me keep on task.

Setting:This is a 3.5 Forgotten Realms adventure. Players will begin in Cormyr near Tilverton. The year is roughly 1374, Bane has returned, Cyric is quite mad, Kelemvor now judges the dead and Mystra is secure in her control of the weave. Due to the closing of several portals the elves have established a foothold in Myth Drannor and Shar has suffered a temporary defeat in Sembia, though their capital city is lost. Shades control Anauroch, and Thay is currently at war while Szass Tam makes a bid for power.

Applications: Instructions are in the various threads
Roll stats here
Post characters here

Posting Rate: I am looking for people that can post daily during the week, weekends maybe once. Even though I am old and married I also have a life and understand that RL happens. Just please don't let it happen to much because I don't need another game that dies. That being said, if a player becomes a problem I will replace him. I will also try to move along combat so that people aren't stuck waiting four days for their turn.

Backgrounds:Since I'm going with an already established group there is a thread for anyone who wants to work on joint background. Feel free to be as creative as you want. It is not manditory that you do so and I may take one person from joint background and not the other. Its just another way to work on who your character is and how he interacts with others. Feel free to create new threads there if you need to keep things organized.

Applications accepted thru 9JAN2011. With the holiday slow down I want to give people a chance to see this game, but I don't want to drag out the application process too long and have people loose interest before we have had a chance to start.

Last edited by Goblyn; Dec 23 '10 at 2:37pm..
I don't suppose you could be convinced to give us the option to use a point-buy system, could you? I'm kicking around the idea of a paladin of Mystra, but it wouldn't be that great with the rolls I've got for him. If you're against the point-buy system, I could make him a paladin of a less cerebral god.

I think I already put someplace that a 32 point buy is an option if your rolls are bad

Oh, wow, that's great. I even hated to ask since I thought that you hadn't allowed that. I'll definitely be taking that option. My rolls weren't strictly bad, but for a paladin of Mystra, they weren't useful either.

edit: Eh actually disregard, be more fun not knowing.

Hey how many spells would you let me have in my spellbook? As a wizard, I gain 2 new spells per level of any level spell I can cast (plus all zero levels and three first levels plus others for int bonus). Would you let me have say:

All zeros
15 firsts
10 seconds
6 thirds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolplayer View Post
Hey how many spells would you let me have in my spellbook? As a wizard, I gain 2 new spells per level of any level spell I can cast (plus all zero levels and three first levels plus others for int bonus). Would you let me have say:

All zeros
15 firsts
10 seconds
6 thirds?
Whatever happened to standard spellbook rules? *raised eyebrow* Spell level = pages in spellbook occupied, and then you have 100 pages per spellbook. You get 2 free spells each level, of any level which you can cast at that level (so take 2 2nds at Wizard3, repeat at Wizard4, then 2 3rds at Wizard5).

At this level you'd have to burn about half your WBL to max out your spellbook (your free spells will take up some 40 spells alone, I forget exactly - maybe a fourth of those cantrips). Your current spellbook is only 43+cantrips pages, which should come out to some 55+ pages total. And even that's spending a lot of money scribing those additional 6 2nds and 4 3rds (2400 gold total!), not counting the extra 1sts.

Ah yes scribing costs...I'll just take the one's I get at levels and such then and not add extras. Forgot about that. Working on spells and I'll be done with my character, please see link to sheet in character ap forum Mr. Goblyn

Wizard's if you're not taking Collegiate Wizard (Complete Arcane, pg. 181) at first level, I seriously doubt your sanity. It doubles your initial 3 first level spells to 6, + Intelligence bonus (which should be 4, because you took an 18 intelligence, right?). That is 10, plus 4 for the next level = 14 (there's your 15, almost), then at 3rd level you get 4 second level spells, and at 4th level another 4 (for a total of 8 second level spells).

I'm just trying to get up to Cormyr war wizard class, that's what I want to play for this game. Not really trying to be a super ultimate bad ass wizard, but thats an awesome feat. There are several feats I would have taken if I wasn't trying to get to the Cormyr war wizard prestige class.

FInaly A forgotten Realms game. Bard/Druid Lyrist FTW! App under construction.

That feat sounds very cheesey to me. I think it could allow someoe to easily access say a conjuration specilist class just for good hd and such.

I didn't see anything about multiclassing penalties.
Do we have them?