Great Wyrm

Seeking the Chosen

Age of the Dark Rites: Rise of the Chosen - Forum
Pathfinder
Ad Closes: Aug 29 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 4

About The DMs:

BEYOND THE PALE

My Co-DM Morgan Bendbow is actually the person who is responsible (along with my girlfriend at the time) for getting me involved with Dungeons and Dragons 3rd ed. Needless to say I immediately became addicted. I am a story teller above all else, and D&D has become the perfect solution to my occasional writer's block. Since I picked up my first D20 I have been obsessed with creating my own world and inner connecting story-lines from each section of it are currently located in 3 boxes filled with legal pads filled with notes and maps and plot devices, character sheets, and character descriptions. I know my world inside and out and have ran several successful RL campaigns using it. This is my first venture into the Weave with my world, as well as the first time I am running a campaign which is completely independent from normal D&D lore. This means it is my world and all that exists from the D&D source books are the mechanics. I am in the process of building my own pantheon which is the key to any separation of original world from the Dungeons and Dragons universe (Pathfinders for example). At the moment I am using a few elements from both 3.5 and Pathfinder, so I hope that when it is all said and done, this will be an enjoyable experience for all of us. For me expanding and learning more about my world, and for you, helping shape certain events and participate in an interesting storytelling experience.

MORGAN BENDBOW

I have been playing D&D since the begaining of 3rd edition really hard, like 20 hours a week. I currently play in a 3.5 game and I play in Pathfinder organized play. With this I have learned the rules rather well. As BeyondThePale said above I am the man that introduced him to the wonderful world of ROLE PLAYING. Now on to my role in this game besides running NPC and monsters. I will be answering most of the rules questions. I will also check your characters to make sure they are not broken/to powerful. Now thats out of the way I love the ROLE aspect of the game more then the dreded ROLL part of the game. So please don't make me a DM-nazi with the rules, if you have a question about how something works post in the OOC forum or send me a PM, I'll get back as soon as I can with the answer.

Applicants

We will be looking for 4 - 6 applicants to begin with, in addition to the possibility of expanding to a maximum of 9 later on (after both of us agree we can manage it while maintaining a quality role-playing experience). Posting commitment should be 1/day with exceptions for extreme circumstances. If you have not posted for 3 days, or if the party is made to wait for more than 5 days the “offending character” will be God-Moded (meaning I will post for you). If myself or my Co-DM have not been notified of any reason of absence for 7 days the player will be removed from the game and if needed we will advertise for a replacement. If a player has not posted for more than 24 hours but has otherwise been active elsewhere on the weave, he/she will be sent a warning in the form of a PM. If there is no response within (24 hrs if the player has remained consistently active elsewhere or 3 days if inactive) we will continue with the afore mentioned steps for absence.

Keep in mind that this game will be 90% Role-playing and 10% Roll-playing. Applicants will be expected to apply with sound and detailed characters, meaning no gimmicks, munchkining, or weak character designs/mechanics. This is a serious campaign and I will be accepting only serious role-players (with emphasis on role vs roll, I don't think I can stress that enough). Continuity of the game itself along with character dedication (stay true to the campaign's goals and the characters you design) will be paramount in the gaming process. Should any applicant prove not to be a team player (without specific in game reasons) said player will be removed and replaced with one who will be more able to focus on more than just selfish reasons for causing problems. That being said, you will not be approached without cause (valid complaints from at least one player and validity decided based on the agreement of both DMs) and the player will not be removed unless there is no sign of compliance or attempt to rectify the situation for future references.

Now I don't want any of you to think we are DM-nazis, we are just running a game which is intended to be as enjoying for each of us involved as opposed to players more interested in individual enjoyment.

Applications

Check the forum here for any information regarding the application process. Follow the character creation rules as described in the thread of the same name.

Note: Also keep in mind that those who are applying for the Fortress of Light positions can not gain any benifits from a deity based class...Meaning no spells or special abilities which require a spacific deity, rangers and similar split divine classes can select an ideal as their deity for these purposes, but there will be no clerics or knights of the one true god...These teachings are limited to a select few who are close to the council and them alone.

2nd note: I made this add difficult mainly because I am looking for very specific types, and if you can hit close enough i'll go for it...I am looking for creativity and adaptability, because this campaign requires that in order to maintain the longevity I am looking for her...so yes I am looking for a very particular kind of character group and I am also very particular about the kind of player I am looking for...hense the intense rules and ambiguity of the entire situation.

Game Description:

Rise of the Chosen: 199 AotDR (Age of the Dark Rites)

The Age of the Unholy Wars has ended and the kingdoms of the 3rd Gate have experienced the worst of the darkness that followed. The fall of the old Gods has left The Gates of Amaranthine in a never ending time of troubles. With this proverbial darkness came the death plague, festering within the mortal realms, the 3rd Gate being the catalytic source of the event. A dark fortress appeared within the plains of the eastern coast of the dead sea on the day which marked the dawn of the new age, and with it the sun was scorched from the skies, leaving the realm in complete and utter darkness. The master of the keep, simply known as the Crimson One -or the Necromaster to those versed in the knowledge of his dark arts-, unleashed what the realm came to refer to as the Dark Ritual which blotted out the sun and brought the Death Plague into existance. Cemetaries and tombs, graves long since left undisturbed over countless centuries, were emptied of their inhabitants, as the dead walked the earth, revealing the ever reaching hand of Uulhamek'Moctou, The God of Undeath and master of the Necrocosm (known to those less familiar with the Dark Arts simply as, The Nothing, the source of necromatic power), the realm where the souls of the dead, who held no Deity in their hearts, dwell in eternal emptiness.

Uulhamek'Moctou's Death Plague, unleashed at the hands of the Necromaster, enveloped the 3rd Gate in a darkness which far surpassed the simple eclipsing of the sun. The people of the 3rd Gate were lost, and the heroes of the Unholy Wars could do nothing to protect the Gates at all times. And none suffered from these limited resources more than the 3rd Gate.

And then suddenly, as if it grew from the deepest hopes and prayers of those who survived the first century of the death plague, came a sign of hope in a hopeless time. One day a beam of light reached down from the heavens and from the emptiness appeared a fortress crafted from pillars of silver. The first inhabitants of the fortress claimed to have been blessed by their God, becoming the council of the New Temple. These people claimed that there was a new God, the one true God who needed no other name, and with Him they would be safe from the dangers of the darkness. The people flocked to the Fortress and took refuge in this kingdom which was a world onto itself. Their God claimed to be the beginning and the end, the righteous light within Uulhamek'Moctou's evil darkness.

Those who took the side of the True God, were forced to abandon the old Gods and devote their lives to the worship of He alone. Those who hesitated considered His arrival as either a test of their faith, or even as a wolf in sheep's clothing, remained separate from the New Temple, and were left to their own devices within the Outlands. These Outlanders became forgotten by the people of the Fortress, believed to be lost to the light forever and the people of the fortress -Now referred to as the people of the light- were warned to keep their distance from the outside world, lest they be lost forever.

An army was erected to regulate the defenses of the Fortress, from the sewers below which were open to the Outlands and therefore vulnerable to attacks, to the boundaries of their fortress just outside the walls of The Kingdom of Light. These knights were taken at birth, chosen by the council who claimed that the One God selected them as His soldiers. These children were raised in the Temple and taught only to serve the council, their word being the word of the One God.

The Beginning: Game intro

The 4 who will start off the campaign within the citadel will be soldiers of the army of light. You will be the apprentices of the Lord High General; Gabriel Azerdan. A decorated war veteran of the first effort against the Outlands and it's undead inhabitants nearly half a century ago (before most of you were even born).

The newest orders from the council tell of a rise in power beyond the walls, a witch claiming to be the Vessel of the Forgotten Gods has began spreading her magics across the Outlands, claiming that she was sent here to remind the world of the Forgotten and within her was all that remained of their influence within the Mortal Realms. The truth, as the council revealed it to you all, is that she is the apprentice of the Necromaster, sent to trick the faithful into abandoning the Fortress of Light and fall prey to the Darkness. The New orders were to no longer allow admittance into the Fortress of Light from apparently repentant Outlanders, and any who are seen either at the ring of light or within the tunnels were to be killed on site, for they could not take the risk of their true motives. The gates were sealed for the time being, so that they may better defend against this new threat. This order was issued 6 years ago, with no end in sight.

Something changed in the world as The New Temple reached its Centennial year, the end of their first century of existence, and entrance into the 2nd Century of The Age of the Dark Rites. It was a fragile time; More and more undead were finding their ways into the tunnels and sewers below, attacks became more frequent and the rumors of The Vessel's rise in power and infamy became less rumor and more fact. The Council of Light began to fear that its hold over the people was growing weak, so the leader of the Council, The Arch Priest Malachi (Human), issued an order to the soldiers to prepare for a purging ritual, which would take place on the eve of their Centennial. None of the soldiers knew what this meant, but Gabriel did...Though he chose to keep its true meaning from his soldiers until the time was right, only telling them to play their part and do as they are ordered...until he changed those orders. He had to hope that his children (the chosen) were free enough from the hold of the Council...He had to pray that when the truth was revealed ,when the time was right, they could guide the people into the next century.

The 4 of you are Gabriel's Chosen, and surrogate children, more so than simple soldiers of the light...Taken from your homes at birth and raised within a dictatorship bent on ruling what was left of the world. But Gabriel has worked hard to keep your minds free, hoping it wasn't too late for you all to become the true soldiers of light in the coming efforts. All you know of Gabriel is that you regard him as a father figure, the only one you have ever had and most of you, if not all, believe in him more than anything else. As of late he has been taking more and more assignments in the tunnels, especially along the south wall...there are rumors your next assignment will place you in these same tunnels, and if you did well enough, you would all be apart of the next sweep of the light ring (the boundary outside the walls of the Fortress).

The two (perhaps as many as 5 should such a group prove compatible with a quality gaming experience) who will later join the campaign will be briefed on their particular roles and backgrounds leading to the joining of forces.

So come forward all ye Potentials, and see if your characters have what it takes to become one of the Chosen...

Last edited by BeyondThePale; Aug 19 '11 at 6:57am..
@Grausam yes you are correct that did answer both questions, and if I had seen your post before I responded to Kaleidoscope I may have saved myself the effort

What is your response to a wizard who is a divine oracle?

Essentially I pulled a fullblade from arms and equipment, then a randomo assortment of items from DMG that add some damage resistances and AC bonuses, but primarily to burn through the massive amount of gold allotted to us because I believe it was stated that we couldn't keep any of it.

I'm not married to any of it, so if it has to go that's not even remotely an issue. If requested I'll PM you a full list of items and augmentations for you to look over.

Reading this I'm now not sure if My application class is in the clear as it once was in the discussion thread.

feel free to send me anything you plan to do or change for your characters...I dont mind doing the extra reading...

@Xeiro what was the class? my co-dm and I have gone over several things and this is what came of it...but I am still open for a few "off the books" examples...just make sure it is not too off the wall...Most of our changes were to make sure to maintain continuity to the story line and the specific timeline which this campaign takes place in the world we and a few of our associates have been working on...that being said, I am sure we could work something out one way or the other

See you browsing the forum you should see my app, though its unfinished it has the class. Orignaly it was a Druid, but I felt Sprite Shaman may fit better.

Ahh you were talking about the ebberon setting, yes it was suggested by my Co-DM that Ebberon be ignored since more settings will conflict with an original setting...There is no forgotten realms, no ravenloft, no greyhawk...so there for no ebberon either...I appologize...you can still be a werebeing if you are still inclined though...I appologize for the change up, I should have remembered your previous proposed character concept from planning thread...

I didn't go shifter(Eberron), went Were-Wolf(Standard) and Spirit Shaman (Complete Divine)