Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Not sure where to go with this

Not sure where to go with this

litterally- I am setting up a game where I will be looking for spontaneous plot twists from what used to be called the peanut gallery. It was recomended that I post in here asking for suggestions, and I'm trying to determine where the best place for that would be, especially if I am going to include a link to the game.

Well, have a go at it! You have a basic idea of what the setting is? Sounds like a game based on some of our collaborative efforts. I'm sure you can lay the tracks down and you'll get a few ideas for each setting or plot twist. Kind of a producer, allowing several directors step in and with you choosing which one you like, you switch the tracks at your discretion. May work well.

Before you get too far in I'm going to suggest you look at the MW GUIDES linked in my signature. Particularly the Player and GM Guides.

With the tools there you'll never have to ask for help unless your brain just turns into a fried mess from outside distraction.

From my understanding of your basic idea, you have two main options.

1. Recruit lots of Readers. Give them a private thread to post about the game, and participate in it yourself to keep them involved. Do this as part of your normal recruiting - include a call for Readers to play god in the game while you're gathering Players. It's important that your players know you're doing this anyway.

2. Ask for input from time to time, both here and in the GM Workshop. For this, you'll want to have a thread in your game forum with both a running synopsis of your game and a basic description of each PC in the first post. The synopsis should highlight the main points of the plot thus far, anything especially interesting the PCs have done aside from that, and a basic idea of where you want the game to go (meaning, what plot points do you want to make sure don't get thwarted by input). The character blurbs should have personality traits and mechanical ability information. Make this thread PrivateFrom your players and keep it up to date. When you want input, post a thread both here and in the GM Workshop with a link to that game synopsis thread and ask for the general type of input you're looking for.

Clearly, one of those is more work than the other. I think both can work, though. You don't want to randomly ask people to come in and read your game in order to get the idea of what's going on, because it'll be too much work for Random Stranger X to put in. That's why the synopsis thread.

It's an american idiom. Basically means "a random group of people who give random advice/comments/ideas... randomly".

More correctly:

A peanut gallery is an audience that heckles the performer. The term originated in the days of vaudeville as a nickname for the cheapest (and ostensibly rowdiest) seats in the theater; the least expensive snack served at the theater would often be peanuts, which the patrons would sometimes throw at the performers on stage to show their disapproval. The phrases "no comments from the peanut gallery" or "quiet in the peanut gallery" are extensions of the name.
In the late 1940s the Howdy Doody show adopted the name to represent its audience of 40 children.
In recent times, the term has taken on new meanings with the advent of social networks and online chat rooms. "Peanut gallery" may also refer to a social network audience that passively observes a syndicated web feed or chat room.

The term itself is generally used on MW in the phrase: "don't take advice advice from the peanut gallery" for obvious reasons, which is to say, if someone is being negative, likely their advice isn't going to be that helpful.