Sandpoint in 3D, Scale model. - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Sandpoint in 3D, Scale model.

The city is starting to raise up towards the sky.

Going to finnish the northern part of town first, with all its buildings etc before doing the southern part.

I'm not familiar with sketchup i make my maps in GIMP but could you break the city up and put it back together later? That might make it more bearable for your computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophymirage View Post
I'm not familiar with sketchup i make my maps in GIMP but could you break the city up and put it back together later? That might make it more bearable for your computer
I'm familiar with GIMP, although i never got the Hang of it tbh. (Its on my "to-do list").

Sketchup thus far is great for making maps as well, and most of the time, the maps are going to be on alot smaller scale than this project.
Remeber, that just the north part of town is on a approximately 1000 x 900 5 square grid. Most combats are at most on a 100x100 square grid (and even thats a big map for combat).

Due to how easy it is to erect walls etc, i think Sketchup is a better tool for making maps than GIMP is, but ofcourse, if your very familiar with gimp and havent even tried out sketchup it might be the other way for you.

First time i made a chair in Sketchup.. i used 2 1/2 hours.. now i guess that i can do it in 10-15 min

Oh i had , i guess, a relatively easy time learning GIMP because i was mainly using tutorials from the cartographers guild and adapting them for my maps, i think it really helped me learn it much more quickly, they have a lot of good information there.

I just found this, I had a similar Idea back in August, my ambitions were quite extensive wanted to build a renderable version of the town. I only worked on it for a few evenings and sadly haven't had the time to get much further.

Those are 5' squares as well. I plan on replacing the town map with procedural textures.
I've also put a little work into making a procedural asset to construct houses.

I'm using Houdini.

PS - Sorry for the broken links, you'll have to remove the space after http://
This is my first post here and apparently I have to post 5 times before I can post a URL and thought it kind of silly to make random posts here and there.

EDIT: Now that I have posted over 5 times I have updated the image links.

I had done a little extra work on this but never posted any images:
  • Additional Terrain Sculpting
  • Rough model of The Old Light
  • Based building heights from their area and added a bit of randomization
Sandpoint 3D WIP2

Link to the Album on Photobucket