Notices

Dwellers of the Forbidden City - LL AEC

Old Dec 22 '11, 3:39pm
Feel the Sting!

Dwellers of the Forbidden City - LL AEC

Advanced Adventures - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) and clones
Estimated Members Requested: 1

I will be running a group of four characters through I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, an old TSR module for the first edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. We will be using house-ruled Labyrinth Lord and the Advanced Edition Companion for this game which should emulate 1st ed. Rules pretty well. As the game was requested by SCARY WIZARD, he has already taken one of the slots. The other three will be competitively selected from applications. Check out the house rule PDF here. Download the free LL and AEC PDFs here, roll stats for a character here, and post the character in this thread.

Create the character you want don't worry about what the party needs! I am much more concerned that the players have fun and create a character that they want to play than that the party be balanced.

Start with 5001xp
Alignments allowed are LG, NG, CG, LN and druids only TN
Awarded XP will be double book value to make up for slow PbP advancement.

Apps need completed Character Sheet, which will use a template not the PHP sheet provided for the game.
Pre-Adventuring career background
Character Description, this can be worked into the background.
Max HP+4 at first level only! Roll for subsequent levels.
Equip as a first level character. Roll for gold and purchase equipment.

Selected players will take some time before the adventure to work together to describe their adventuring career thus far; One or two adventures with some accomplishments (Vohg skewered that bugbear that was about to take Mishka’s head off with his cudgel.) This is to get the players to know the other character and to get into the mindset of them already being a group.

Selected characters will divide the following loot from their previous adventures (less cost of living and training.)

Gold necklace made to look like it is made of oak leaves 500gp
500gp Emerald
Statue; elven woman carved of maple wood inlaid with gold and platinum 500gp
10 gems (2 100 gp Opal, 4 50gp bloodstones, 4 25gp Moonstones)
Platinum ring with five fire opals in star pattern 500gp

Potion of Sweet Water
Potion of ESP
Potion of Healing
Potion of Healing

Sword +1, +2 vs. Spell Casters
Ring of Protection +1
Gauntlets of Ogre Power (18 FRP) to CFT
Shield +1

Game Description:

You and your comrades in arms have enjoyed a few successes against local foes of Baron Lokk Mathias’ lands. Over the last couple of years you have brought peace to the barony and even feasted in the great hall of Castle Azzenrock. You have tasted the smallest sample of wealth and glory.

For several months, possibly even years, there have been reports of banditry in the jungles to the south of the Kingdom. Merchants carrying precious loads of rare goods from the jungle lands have been waylaid, their goods taken and their men captured or killed. Even then, those who survived these raids had to face headhunters, brain fever, giant leeches, cannibals, and leopards. Few men ever returned.

The stories they told were fantastic and addled, surely brought about by disease and the horrors with which they had to deal. Singing snakes, twisted and deformed ape-men, men who were not men, and writhing, horrid flowers filled their tales -surely such things were not to be believed. Nonetheless, something had destroyed the caravans.

Furthermore, none of the goods taken from the caravans has ever appeared in the markets of the north, at least as far as the merchants can tell. Some were certainly identifiable - rare pieces of art, scrolls, books, and other items destined to fetch good prices in the kingdoms of the north. It could only mean that someone or something was hoarding a great treasure in the jungle.

Though you have heard the stories before they were always tales of far off lands, but as the local challenges began to dry up and the tales of lost treasure began to add up to a fortune beyond the imagination of most men the lure began to nag at you and your comrades.

Then Cassius Mar, an extremely wealthy local merchant lost his third caravan in the jungle. Left with the choice of permanently reducing his profits by paying Kelian Merchant Marines to transport his goods around the jungle or doing something bold and drastic, he put out word that he would pay all travel expenses for any punitive expedition that succeeded in stopping the banditry so that he could safely move goods through the jungle.

Your group successfully negotiated the terms, finalized preparations to depart for the southern jungle, and spent two-weeks traveling just to get to the edge of the kingdom to where small tribal villages eked out a substantive living in the shadow of the darker jungle.

i think you should talk to a moderator to get them to move this game into AD&D cause it looks like its mostly that not 1e.

1E is the first Edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. The only pre 3.0 game categories here are AD&D 2e and OD&D which I believe now encompasses all older editions including 1E, as they recently renamed the category from Basic Dungeons & Dragons to Original Dungeons and Dragons. Prior to that all 0e and 1e games had to be placed under Misc.

What you keep referring to as 1E is actually B/X or BECMI. My actual rules are Labyrinth Lord which is a clone of B/X. I am using the LL Advanced Edition Companion which basically adds the races and classes of AD&D 1E into B/X.

So what all this long windedness gets to is that I am pretty sure my game is in the right category.

Ok, so the rules are included in the links? Because i might join, im waiting to see if im in another game. But ill cancel my app theres heaps of people on there. Can you explain to me which rules i use for making my character sheet?

Most of the character rules are in the AEC and the house rules which will tell you what modifications I have made to the game. Most of the House Rules deal with; abilities (tweaked to represent 1st Ed AD&D with some 0E influences), race and class selections (mostly adjusting to mimic 1st Ed AD&D, but with some of my own favoritism thrown in.) and what optional rules from the AEC are in place (again moving the game more toward 1st Ed. AD&D at least the way I played it).

Hrmmm, *biting lip* thats a toughie. Ill think about joining..... Is there any chance of you reserving a place for me? Also what level are we starting on?

This is a competitive ad, but it wont close for a while. I like to keep my old school ads open for a couple weeks to give them plenty of time to attract players. If you are sure you want to apply I will not make any decisions until after you get back. You are gone until the 12th? I could give you a couple days after that to fill out an app.

We are starting out at 5001xp. That can be divided by up to three classes.

Rethought ap. cant play sorry. I have two other games running at the moment, so im a bit busy with them. Good luck with your game though!