Old Feb 25 '12, 5:57pm
The Mountain That Posts

Let the Siege Begin!

Beneath the Storm - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire - Westeros
Ad Closes: Mar 12 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 8

A few more notes:

Although you're welcome to through out some character concepts, we will be designing the PC's house first, so how that shakes out may affect character concept possibilities.

Valid character concepts will be characters that could be reasonably found in a siege camp - lords and knights, soldiers and maesters, squires and shield-bearers. Noble ladies, courtiers, and such are... unlikely to be there, but depending on the House's set-up and a good backstory, even those are possible.

Although the game is set during and at the Siege of Storm's End during the Robert's Rebellion, the focus will be on the camp, and stuff going on around it - Mace's great feasts, running down other rebel Stormlands' lords, moral-increasing tourneys, securing supply chains, etc...

Hope there's some interest.

Game Description:

Introduction/What Has Happened Thus Far

The treacherous Robert Baratheon has raised his banner, calling for Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's head, and the North and the Vale stand beside him, and the Riverlands are soon to be wed to their cause. While many ride behind the Stormland's liege, some rest uneasily - torn between their loyalty to King Aerys Targaryen and dismay at his increasingly mad acts.

Under the command of Mace Tyrell, a large force of royalists - men of the Reach - have converged on the ancient castle of Storm's End, trapping Robert's brother Stannis and his men within.

House Cassius of Cider Bridge - a minor house of the Reach sworn to House Fossoway of Cider Hall - was created at the outset of the War of the Usurper when the old lords of Cider Bridge - House Calgar - thought to stymy Mace Tyrell's march on Robert Baratheon. Lord Calgar was betrayed by his sister, Lady Kara, and master-at-arms, Ser Ortan Cassius, and his head delivered to Lord Wylke Fossoway to allow the march of the Reach's forces on Ashford and delivering Robert Baratheon his first defeat.

Having been granted the domains of House Calgar and risen to nobility, Ortan Cassius has led his men to join Lord Mace Tyrell's siege of Storm's End.

All is not well in the newly created house - whispers of opportunism and dishonorable acts taint its founding, the death of Lord Fossoway's son at the wedding of Ortan and Kara cast an ominous shadow over the house's march, families of nobleborn knights that squabbled with Ortan are rumored to have been slain at the behest of House Cassius, and as they join the investment of Storm's End, Lord Ortan's cousin Ser Randyll is found murdered.

Precipitous times await the new house...

Set Up
Characters will be members of the House Cassius household - be it via familial links or retainers or sworn swords, etc...

Although characters all serve House Cassius (in some capacity), and the siege is led by Mace Tyrell, it is a bit of a lazy siege, so characters should have ample time to pursue some of their own agendas, while also mixing in their actual duties and responsibilities.

A Note About Canon
I hew pretty closely to canon in the set up and motivations of canon NPCs, but I'm not afraid to chart a new path should particularly wild and original schemes get proposed and pulled off. That said, Storm's End is nigh-impregnable, and from the books we know the siege lasts about a year before being broken by Ned Stark.

This does not mean, however, that the ultimate fates of your characters and House are doomed. There will be plenty of opportunity of gold, glory, honour, and yes... intrigue.

Maybe I will finally be able to play a Knight, or something akin.

My only qualm, is if the game is going to be somewhat militarily focused, how do you think people should try and separate their characters in combat?

I would be interested. Although I have never gotten to play the system before, so is a new comer to this game allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fell View Post
Maybe I will finally be able to play a Knight, or something akin.

My only qualm, is if the game is going to be somewhat militarily focused, how do you think people should try and separate their characters in combat?
I guess I wasn't completely clear then; although this game is certainly in a military setting, it is not going to be all about combat. Characters will still need to navigate the siege camp's command structure, deal with sagging morale, hunt down turncloaks, and convince their commander's to even give them a chance at glory.

Essentially, while yes there may be more than one knight, even if they all focus on sword, shield, and lance, they won't necessarily have the same abilities outside of combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullKnight View Post
I would be interested. Although I have never gotten to play the system before, so is a new comer to this game allowed?
If you're willing to learn the rules, I'm willing to help.

I'm not necessarily expecting a high level of system proficiency.

Definitely interested in this one. I vote that we're from the Reach, second choice being the Stormlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Definitely interested in this one. I vote that we're from the Reach, second choice being the Stormlands.
But Dorneeeee

Fine women and wine!

Yeah I actually don't know why I thought of the Reach off-hand, probably because I'm only partly through ASOS so I haven't "been there" yet. I change my vote to Dorne, at the least I think it will be interesting to come up with why our Dornish house is fighting under Mace Tyrell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Yeah I actually don't know why I thought of the Reach off-hand, probably because I'm only partly through ASOS so I haven't "been there" yet. I change my vote to Dorne, at the least I think it will be interesting to come up with why our Dornish house is fighting under Mace Tyrell.
Well, as per canon, I don't think Dorne was really involved in the war. Yah, I don't think they were at all actually.

But we are drifting from canon, so that is fine with me.

I just love Dorne, as it is so different then the common perception of Westeros. Playing female characters is a bit more feasible, since women can come into power like men. And yah, you don't really get to Dorne till A Feast for Crows.

If we do create a house, I might like to claim the spot of either 2nd or 3rd born. Not heir, but at least having some noble blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fell View Post
Well, as per canon, I don't think Dorne was really involved in the war. Yah, I don't think they were at all actually.

But we are drifting from canon, so that is fine with me.

I just love Dorne, as it is so different then the common perception of Westeros. Playing female characters is a bit more feasible, since women can come into power like men. And yah, you don't really get to Dorne till A Feast for Crows.

If we do create a house, I might like to claim the spot of either 2nd or 3rd born. Not heir, but at least having some noble blood.
Dorn was very involved in the War.

It was the Dragon, Rose, and Sun battling against the Wolf, Stag, Fish, and Hawk.

The Kraken was the house that sat out during the Uspers war.

Majority of Dornes forces where with the Targaryens, in the northen war. (And likewise at the battle where prince rhyager died.) But I'm sure Dorn had token forces with Mace's army.