Old Mar 13 '12, 9:37pm
Ancient Legendary Wyrm

Age of Heroes

Age of Heroes - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Estimated Members Requested: 5

This game is closed for new applicants.

Here are some minor changes to the Game Description below:

1) Abilities that are tied to defenses are capped at the starting PL of the game: 10. Same goes for all defenses.

2) I would like all PCs to have an original form the same as their pre-event form. This means that Johnny/Jenny still looks basically like Johnny/Jenny (except the +2 Attractive advantage). He/She could gain mass, loose mass, gain age, loose age, but he or she looks basically the same. The character may change form at will or something into a heroic form that may not pass as human, but should be able to generally pass for a normal human with no (or minimal) effort at disguise when in his or her normal form. It may be that the heroic form is the norm and the character has to force a change into his or her pre-event form...that's fine too. Alternatively the character just gains powers and does not have to worry about changing forms.

Game Description:

A small group of friends are on vacation together (with their families: Optional) near the Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado. On their way home to the East coast they encounter something that will change their lives and the world forever. Suddenly they are endowed with super powers previously relegated to the fictional realms of comic books. What they find also has global and political implications beyond the matter of granting the PC’s and a few others their powers...and no, it is not a cosmic cube, control rod, an alien craft or artifact.

At the beginning of the game only a few others besides these five have powers in this world, set in current-day America. They will face government agencies (foreign and domestic) trying to control them, super villains trying to control the world, a public afraid they are too powerful to be free in society, and possibly even the adoration of public supporters…all while discovering how to use their powers without hurting innocent civilians.

We will role-play the discovery of the character’s powers that will start at PL10 with 150 points to use for character creation. In addition to those 150 PPs, all characters begin with the following 15 more points of advantages and powers that everyone affected by the event possesses and all have in common. More points can be spent above these to improve them further. These 15 points are allocated as follows:

Advantage: Attractive 2

Powers: Immunity 3: Age, Disease, Poison. Senses 5: Darkvision, Extended Vision 1 (x10 range), Microscopic Vision 1 (Dust Size), and Extended Hearing 1 (x10 range), Quickness 2, Speed 3.

In addition, the event will change the characters even further in terms of morality. It will create heroes as well as villains. But we will see how things turn out in the end.

There will probably be approximately a 60-40 mix of role-play to combat and much of this depends on the players.

I am looking for adult/mature players who are willing to play their characters as if they are real in the world and not simply in a comic book universe. Just like in the real world, bad things sometimes happen to good people, and to innocent people.

For those without powers in the world this will be a far more deadly game than the standard MM3e rules allow. A broken limb could take 6 or more weeks to heal for a normal person. A bullet to the chest will kill a normal person or might take a few months to recover from. But the heroes (PCs) and the NPCs and villains with powers will use the standard MM3e rules for recovery, which will represent a standard power (no power points used of course) for all those directly affected by what the characters discover on day 1.

Some of the scenes in the game may be disturbing and upsetting because I will not be holding back on descriptions of battle carnage and the evil nature of the super villains…as well as those normal criminals that the heroes may face. I will have villains that people will love to hate as well as NPCs whose nature will not be readily apparent. This is not a four-color world.

We will begin the adventure in today’s world (in as much as this is a super hero game) and on Friday August 5, 2011. Here there are no hand-held blasters, no teleportation devices, no anti-gravity vehicles…until and unless they are created within the game as we go along. At first, when we start the game, if there is a device that exists in RL then it likely exists in the game.

Power Limitations: No magic-based characters. No mind control or time travel powers. No dimensional travel powers and no gadget based powers. No undead characters. Remember that your character will gain his/her power on day 1 of the game.

Complications: All characters must have the Motivation complication of either the Doing Good or Responsibility. You will not need to describe this compulsive complication at the beginning of the game but it will become a part of your character’s persona as we go along. Your characters will be heroes and will act accordingly when the situations present themselves.

Please allow other player’s their archetype niches. I will choose the best of each archetype, but I prefer players who can think outside the box and show us something unique and interesting. No fantasy based, alien, or extra-dimensional characters since these do not fit the game’s premise.

Character creation considerations: Be careful of what powers you choose and consider how your character’s life will change with those powers. This is not the Marvel or DC universe.

Detailed and convincing character backgrounds are necessary for consideration as approved characters. Such backgrounds cannot include how your character became a superhero since this will occur in-game. I prefer characters with social ties to the world; characters with families and friends. I do not like lone wolf types as they may distract from the nature of the game. I will permit only one such character if any at all.

I will likely draw from character’s backgrounds to add a certain visceral realism you might not find in other games. Your character’s niece or nephew, grandfather, or even his recent ex-girlfriend might become an NPC. This game is not for the faint of heart and weak of mind.

For clarification, the game system is the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition
Hero Lab in .por format preferred (but not necessary).
Maximum number of players: 5
Application Deadline: When all five slots are filled.

Commitment: 2-3 posts per week preferred, more if possible

Feel free to contact me with any questions but I prefer to have all questions on the board for everyone's benefit.

Last edited by Groqx; Mar 17 '12 at 7:59pm.. Reason: Change of Title
Color me interested--I'll try to get up an application for something or other tonight. I just need to go through my characters and see what would work in a more realistic/less fantastic setting.

It seems you have a lot of opinion on how you would like things to be maintained throughout the game. That's great. However, I can't help but feel like some of it is a lot of lip service to thematic taglines. Feint of heart, weak of mind, love-to-hate, etc. It still doesn't give me much clue as to what direction you'd like the subtext of the game to adhere to.

For example (and these are terrible examples, mind you), are you looking for a world/PC dynamic like the television series Heroes, or one more akin to Watchmen? I thought the X-Men trilogy tried to handle supers vs non-supers as softly as they could considering their targeted audience, but they still considered the ramifications (trying to nod to their comic book origins). The same could be said about the first Spiderman movie.

If I read into some of my assumptions, it sounds like this game might be hard to keep to a collective 'group'. You want people to have ties to the community, so I would suspect that the urge for a 'normal life' will have to emerge within the context of the story as well. Perhaps not the same one they once had, but if we're to stay true to a concept it might be hard to suddenly find ourselves only hanging out with the few people who went through the situation, i.e. the PCs. Will you be attempting to split the group when it calls for it? Is there a device in place to help we, the players, stick together (and not just for the sake of being in a roleplaying party)?

Being 'Friends on Vacation' implies we all know one another and have integrated backgrounds. It might also imply everyone is relatively the same age/mindset, given that groups of friends tend to trend to one another. Would you like to steer the potential applicants towards one collective concept, to better maintain your original intent and story? Even though the game seems to be starting at the very beginning, is there any information for the 'world' that might be relevant to put into the game thread? Perhaps mentioning what city the applicants are from, or where the game may take place after the vacation has ended? Perhaps storing the Character Generation ruleset in it's own thread would be handy for those looking for it while making applications. Would you like applications in private threads? Individual threads, but public? Etc.

By the way, I only pry like this to better understand the game and to perhaps open my eyes to the potentials within a game ad. Please don't take them personally, hurtful, or any other negative way. I ask, because I care.

All excellent questions and points to consider. No, I am not looking for any of those world/dynamics you mentioned. There are a few ways to keep the heroes as a collective group, and the first is to start them all out as friends. I will be posting a starting background post very soon to give prospective players an idea of their relationship to each other.

There are two other ways I will be trying to keep the PCs together, but giving those aspects away now would not be fun since they are part of the game.

Let me add that I would like the PCs to start out with ages somewhere between 19-26, preferably in the 24-26 age bracket but that is flexible depending on the player's preferred background.

And I do not want the PCs to revolve around one collective hero concept. The common powers and the advantage I stated in the advert is all that is necessary. The rest should be as diverse as possible.

Like I said, I will be putting out a background post for the game shortly.

I will be creating these from time to time to give background information to the players. In this case, since I have no idea of the names of the PC's or their families, I have put blanks in some spots in the text.

Much, much more is forthcoming.

Here is something to start with:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthre...85#post5374185

Interested in playing a pretty basic paragon type - super-strength, invulnerable, possibly flight if points allow. He's a character I've used before, but never to the extent that I've wanted. Still, I've been able to flesh him out a bit. The basic backstory is that he's an alcoholic on the road to recovery, separated from his wife, and not the perfect, little boyscout of a Superman that everyone expects in a paragon stereotype. He's guilt-ridden, has anger issues, but oddly enough will be forced cold turkey off of his addiction because of the starting Immunity to poison, since that means he can no longer get drunk. He'll have to build his life up from the bottom while at the same time learning how to deal with having superhuman powers.

EDIT: Application below.

Name: Benjamin Blake

Personality: Close friends would be the first to notice how much of a change Ben's separation and imminent divorce has wraught on him. He was a business executive before, used to being very direct and in control of his life. He's used to having a goal and then achieving it, but now he doesn't even know where to start repairing his life. With what is about to happen to all of them, there's no telling how he'll react. Hopefully he can find within himself some way to adapt to these changing circumstances and get back a tiny piece of what he had before.

I've decided to go with a Powerhouse, switching from mundane to armored form à la Colossus. She'll probably have even more emphasis on strength and damage resistance than ChronicLunacy's paragon, but no movement powers outside of the default powerset. I'm having to rework the background pretty much from scratch since what I had written up before all led right into her getting her powers, which obviously won't work for in this case.

You can post applications right here.

I have not received any actual, complete applications yet, though this is only the second day the advertisement has be up on the site.

Here are the suggested Archetypes so far:

ChronicLunacy: Paragon (recovering alcoholic)
Corellon: Powerhouse (female, metal-form or Colossus-type)
Getaway: Speedster
zenninpo: TK-based Paragon (genius/geekish-nerd with incredible parental neglect issues...communicated via PM)

When planning the characters, remember that they should be relatively young in life (19-26 years old), from central Maryland (new info from this post), and ultimately are all long-time friends with each other...or at least their families are friends.

This means that the chosen players should be familiar with each other's backgrounds to a large extent. And in those backgrounds, please include the names of parents, siblings, and possibly other friends important in the life of your character.

I would like there to be someone with a group movement power: Portal, Teleportation with increased mass, or something more creative.