Notices

The Warrior's Lounge

I know you said you were not using BT for the 'Mech combat, but I actually was in a moderately successful MechWarrior PbP (moderately successful as in we got though two entire 'Mech scenarios before the game dissolved sometime in the third) where we just used straight up BattleTech rules, only we used the Dueling Rules from MaxTech.

The Dueling Rules let everybody take their turn all at once, not unlike a traditional RPG, instead of repeatedly cycling back and forth between sides multiple times per turn. The major downside is that, unlike most RPGs, everybody absolutely must wait for their turn in the Init sequence to come up, instead of just lumping it into the common PCs go-enemies go mode that frequently occurs.

Just throwing it out there.

I have the book, I'll go look it up. Even if I don't use it, it might have good ideas I can use.

My goal is I really want to keep combat down around 5 rounds, so it has to be fast.

Game will go to application status shortly. Yeah, I'm not done with the mech rules yet, but the first mech battle will be in a while from now anyway.

Two questions for you:

1) Is it a problem if we don't have access to CP2020 books or will what you've posted here be enough to work with? I know I have at least some of the books, but they're boxed up and will be for at least another few weeks if not months.

2) In Character Creation you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrough View Post
Mech Operations: The maximum weight of a mech that a character can pilot is equal to his Mech Operations skill divided by 10.
But skill ranks seem to max at 6 ... so how does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellon View Post
1) Is it a problem if we don't have access to CP2020 books or will what you've posted here be enough to work with? I know I have at least some of the books, but they're boxed up and will be for at least another few weeks if not months.
Not a problem. All the rules you need to play are in the forum. The CP2020 books may end up having something extra you want, but you can live completely without them.

And if there is something special you decide you want, just ask and I'll see if I can find/make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellon View Post
2) In Character Creation you said:

But skill ranks seem to max at 6 ... so how does that work?
The highest skill rank at character creation is 6. And the advancement rules (which I just put updates in reflecting this answer as well) limit the number of skills that can to 6 or higher. But the actual skill limit in any particular skill is 10. And for purposes of our rules, 10 will simply open up any mech (including those absurd/awesome 100+ ton mechs).

So if I understand right you mean "Mech Operations skill times 10", not "divided by 10". So starting characters are only comfortable with 'Mechs <= 60 tons. Right?

Then I think that is supposed to be "'Mech Operations skill times 10."

EDIT: Friggin' DEST ninjas.

Oh, heh.

Edit- Fixed.

Probably a lot of little typos and leaps-of-logic in the rules. You guys are my best "what the hell is that" and "tha don't make no damn sense nohow" catchers.