Noob game/Tutorial game?

Not to sound like complaining, but I imagine that game will teach most of the basics of combat and trap searching if it's a dungeon. Not much of roleplaying, or there shouldn't be much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalD View Post
Not to sound like complaining, but I imagine that game will teach most of the basics of combat and trap searching if it's a dungeon. Not much of roleplaying, or there shouldn't be much.
Is that a problem? Most people wanting a tutorial game don't need to be taught how to role play. They need to learn the system. Combat and skill use are what 2/3s of the system are built on (magic being the other 1/3). There are rarely rules for role play.

Dungeon crawls are great places to start and if it's a DM willing to take on players with little to no knowledge of the rules, then more power to them. The larger, fancier, story-centric games can be had after people have a grasp of the rules first.

Just my opinion, though...

Oh, I mean roleplaying by the way of using the skills also, dungeon crawl may use some, but not the same as a adventure that will make them travel and stay some time in a couple of towns.

Well, learning the gist of skills is the same no matter which skill you're using, really. Perception, disable device, survival, knowledge... There's plenty of skills that can be used even in a hack-n-slash dungeon crawl.

Once you know how to use a skill, the same basic principles can be applied to all skills.

I wonder if someone could make a full on, N00B friendly, campaign/story. Would be nicer then a simple, learn-the-ropes dungeon crawl.