Los Angeles by Night

Old Apr 20 '12, 8:41am
Methuselah

Los Angeles by Night

Los Angeles By Night - Forum
Vampire: Masquerade
Ad Closes: Aug 20 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 99

Please see this thread for character creation. I will be checking here too, however, do not post characters here.

Game Description:

Los Angeles by Night
A Vampire: the Masquerade Sandbox Game

Setting:

A new order has risen in the city. The mysterious neonate who dethroned the corrupt Prince Sebastian Le Croix chose to continue Camarilla rule in the city, then set off for points unknown. The Primogen council ruled for over 8 years before the Inner Council set one of the highest ranking Elders in Europe over the city: Prospero Colonna, a shadowy figure who has never held a formal title in the Camarilla, but who has an unparalleled network of spies, contacts, and informants across the world and in every sect. Under this new regime, many vampires, both anarch and Camarilla, hope to make their fortunes.

Tone

This is a Vampire: the Masquerade game set 8 years after the events of the video game Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. I, Forosus XVI, will act as your humble referee. I say referee, and not storyteller, because this will be a sandbox style game. I will set up various locales in Los Angeles where players can interact, develop their own plots, and otherwise get up to mischief. Of course, I will be setting up my own plots too, though with rare exceptions, you don't have to participate in them if you'd rather not. Players are free to submit to me their own plots, and if approved may run them. As referee I will also assist in creating or running any NPCs you want or need to interact with, either casually or as part of plots.

My intention for this game is to be high on roleplaying and use of non-combat related skills, and low on fights and brawls (especially between players.)

Last edited by Forosus XVI; Apr 20 '12 at 8:43am..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elround4 View Post
This looks interesting... Though I've never played WoD and have yet to play the video game (recently purchased it off of steam).
That's not a problem! If you don't mind some mild spoilers, both wikipedia and the White Wolf wiki have serviceable descriptions of Bloodlines. You don't have to read either to play.

The main character creation thread has a link to the Revised edition rulebook if you need help learning the system. The oWoD system, in my opinion, is fairly simple. The focus in this game (I hope) will be on roleplaying, so if we're lucky the dice will only come out once in a while.

I have the Revised edition of Vampire The Masquerade and will make a character who has only just recently entered the city. Due to work and writing, it should be pm'ed around this Wednesday or Thursday (or later depending on either of the two factors mentioned hereinbefore) ...

Here's a question. I live in Chicago. I know very little about the geography or history of LA. How much will this be a problem?

I cannot pass up VtM even though I do not like the system it runs, heh. The lore and the feel of the story just draws me in. Count me in (for now). I will say that I am busy with school and portfolio building, so that may kill my interest (I hope not, though).

I do not know much about the computer game, if that matters, but I am quite comfortable with VtM lore itself; as well as the rules. I have a char I really want to use again. Seeing as how this is sandbox, however, I will tweak her a bit so she can run alone more effectively (seeing as player interaction will likely be at a minimum I imagine).

Huskie, you can just google some info on LA. You can use google maps, or use google earth to get street names, locations, etc. As much as people dislike Wikipedia, it will be your best bet to actually find any information which will likely not confuse you or mislead you. I can't say how annoying it is to find anything more than tidbits off other sites.

Theres also the wonderful fact that its a game. So just because a location is clear across town and would likely take a certain amount of time to get there that doesnt mean it needs to take that long (or could take even longer) depending on what the plot deems necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
Here's a question. I live in Chicago. I know very little about the geography or history of LA. How much will this be a problem?
As much as playing in any other game set in a location other than your (being the generalized you, not you specifically) home town might. Easy to look stuff up online if needed, or just ask! I live in LA, so I happen to have an upper hand therein, but I don't think not knowing the location of the nearest Krispy Kreme outside of Burbank'll hinder you much.

I'm thinking of applying, but first I have to ask - I'm in the middle of playing Bloodlines; so how horribly am I going to get spoiled I choose to join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
I like neighborhood maps, because they can give you an rough impression of where things are located in the city.

The best one I've found so far is this one:https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7...hood-Map-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldheart View Post
I'm thinking of applying, but first I have to ask - I'm in the middle of playing Bloodlines; so how horribly am I going to get spoiled I choose to join?
Finish the game first, I'd say.The chronicle takes place eight years after the game ends, and it does incorporate some of the events into the story.