Notices

Dice roller and other forum mechanics

Dice roller and other forum mechanics

I started this thread for a couple of reasons - one was to show people how to use the in-forum dice roller for those not familiar, and the other was for us to hash out other mechanical aspects of forum gaming - things like how we do OOC talk, how we handle different languages, etc.

So, for the roller, there are two ways to do it - the DICE tag and the ROLL tag. The basic format for inserting a die roll is:
[dice]XXXXXX[/dice] or [roll]XXXX[/roll]. The 'XXXXX' part is replaced by the characters indicating what dice you want to roll. DICE will output a small box showing you the roll results, whereas ROLL just produces a little picture of a die - you hover your mouse over it to see the results.

For Exalted, you want to use the following: Xd10s7a - where 'X' is the number of dice you are rolling, 'd10' is obviously the die type, 's7' tells to count any roll of 7 or better as a success, and 'a' tells it to add a success on a roll of 10. So a command to roll a 10-die pool would be either [dice]10d10s7a[/dice] or [roll]10d10s7a[/roll]. Here's what they look like when you actually do them:

'DICE' command:
Dice Roll: 10d10s7a
d10 Results: 9, 2, 2, 6, 4, 6, 8, 7, 4, 10 (Total Successes = 5)

'ROLL' command:
Dice Roll: 10d10s7a
d10 Results: 4, 5, 2, 4, 7, 1, 6, 2, 10, 8 (Total Successes = 4)

I presonally preferr ROLL to DICE - it's a little less obtuse, especially if you're doing several rolls. To make it a little more useful, I found that adding the 'z' command to the end of the die string on ROLL helps - z tells it to display the number of successes after the roll, so you only need to mouse over the die to see the individual rolls. So instead of 'Xd10s7a', you'd do 'Xd10s7az'. It ends up looking like this:

'ROLL' command with 'z':
Dice Roll: 10d10s7az
d10 Results: 9, 6, 1, 7, 8, 1, 9, 1, 9, 6 (Total Successes = 5)
(5)

THere are other options too, like labeling your rolls - you can go to the Help menu and pick Dice Roller to learn more.

So, continuing on, here's the link to the page about what codes work on this forum (also can be found in the Help Menu under Help Articles/bbCodes:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/ind...Weavers:bbCode

This will show you how to do things like private messages or OOC comments. It also covers changing text colors (scroll to the bottom).

I know that in other PbP games I've been in, the players often set up standards for how text colors are used in game, like each player uses a specific color for their own IC talk, or in games with multiple languages (like Exalted) a color is assigned to each language. Do we want to do something like this?

Ooh! Ooh!

Okay, so after my post on colors and such, I started playing around a bit. If you've seen the bbcode page, then you may have seen that there is a language code function, where you can tag something as being said in a different language, and when it displays it obscures what you said - if your character speaks the same language, then you can find out what was said, but if you don't you can't.

Unfortunately for this to work, you have to be able to list languages on one of the forum's built-in character sheets, and there isn't one for Exalted. However, there is a workaround, if we in fact want to bother with it.

I just created myself a test character sheet using a D&D 4e sheet, and all I put on it were some Exalted languages (Low Realm, Firetongue, etc). Then I tested it out, and it worked! Here's what I entered:

[lang=dwarvish]Can you understand what I'm saying?[/lang]
[lang=Firetongue]How about now?[/lang]

And the results were:

dwarvish
Firetongue

Now, the rest of you will only see "something in a foreign language" twice, but on my screen the second line says "something in Firetongue" (because I have Firetongue on my test sheet), and when I hover over it I can see the message "How about now?".

Again, I don't know whether this will be something that is important enough to the game to bother with, but it is an option. If we have a Creation-spanning game, then language will be a factor.

Spiffy. While you've been scouring the site, have you seen anything on the submission process of character sheet templates? I saw that exalted wasn't supported, it was requested, and that this place seems to be put together with widgets/components I can work with so figured I'd give it a shot ... but couldn't find anything about the process. (Boo-Hiss)

do we really need to go to such great lengths as using colors, etc? I'm fine with assuming a thing is IC unless its prefaced by "ooc"... that seems simple and I like simple. I can mess up code and mangle a thing pretty badly so the simpler the better from my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredhunter View Post
Spiffy. While you've been scouring the site, have you seen anything on the submission process of character sheet templates? I saw that exalted wasn't supported, it was requested, and that this place seems to be put together with widgets/components I can work with so figured I'd give it a shot ... but couldn't find anything about the process. (Boo-Hiss)
Didn't really look at the submission process. I wasn't really thinking we'd need to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrael View Post
do we really need to go to such great lengths as using colors, etc? I'm fine with assuming a thing is IC unless its prefaced by "ooc"... that seems simple and I like simple. I can mess up code and mangle a thing pretty badly so the simpler the better from my perspective.
There's nothing saying we have to use any of this, just wanted to point out it was there. I do think the die roller would be good to learn - I don't plan on carrying around a sack of d10s everywhere I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delemental View Post
Didn't really look at the submission process. I wasn't really thinking we'd need to worry about it.
Was just hopping you may have noticed something I missed.

hm... since the character sheet is linked to your login if multiple characters know different languages how does the forum tell which languages you should be able to read? Or is there a way to post based on the sheet rather than the login that I didn't see? I admit right up front that I am the lowest common denominator for techie forum stuff.