A Night of Fires

Old May 1 '12, 8:10pm
Doing nothing in Chinatown

A Night of Fires

A Night of Fires - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire - Westeros
Ad Closes: May 14 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Detailed Description: The War of Five Kings is all but over; the Lannisters have won, apparently, though their leader is dead and their allies are suspect. Winter is coming, and with the autumn spent bloodletting rather than harvesting, the near future of Westeros is bleak. Some have prepared better than others, however. In the Southern Reaches, however, the crops have remained untouched by war, and there powerful people are free to pursue their own agendas as the Seven Kingdoms prepare for winter. One such person is a merchant named Garman Lowtower, an old man who foresaw the bloodshed and prepared for the consequences.

Now rich from selling the goods of war, he is now planning his own agenda, one decades in the making. He seeks to restore his family's honor, reclaim his lost family's lost Valyrian sword, and find justice for his brother's murder. As age has weakened him now turns to cunning and resourceful people to undertake his quest. Be they hedge knights with a knack for tricky fighting, sons of lesser houses looking for adventure and fame, or nefarious types willing to take up a cause for good profit, Lowtower has no preference. He only seeks those known to get a job done, and willing to sail to far off nations and cities with naught but the promise of gold and the pursuit of glory to spur them on.

The Players: As I alluded to in the description, I am looking for players of different stripes; ideally five skilled in a diverse array of specialties. We will not be making a noble house, nor fighting for any grand cause. This is a game of wits more than swords, so I am looking for characters skilled in the arts of persuasion, research, and trickery. That said, this is a game of international adventure, starting in the Reach and likely going through the Free Cities and the lands beyond. Many times when words fail, battle will be joined, so skill at arms is important.

I have no objections to one or two players with a single specialty in fighting or intrigue, but I need balanced characters most of all, who can adapt themselves to whatever situation is thrown at them. Rogues, warriors, pilgrims, sellswords, former maesters, I will take them all, as long as they can work together in this quest linked characters . In regards to character backgrounds, I am willing to look at everything, but I will pay special attention to those who work with the setting. There is a lot of material with which to create interesting characters with deep histories and stories relating to events in the past. Furthermore, while I am not one to dictate a character's personality, it will be helpful if the characters are those who like adventure and mystery for its own sake; while the rewards will be outstanding, the journey will be difficult, so it will do good to have people on board willing to accept said danger. Finally, I will need at least two, ideally more, with knowledge of High Valyrian or other languages of the Free Cities; we will be going East, so it would do the party no good if you get there and require a translator NPC. Linked characters, needless to say, will be given a higher preference.

Post any and all questions you might have and good luck. I look forward to your applications.

Game Description:

As the ashes of the War of Five Kings begin to cool, old vendettas buried under the urgency of war come to forefront. In order to rectify the past, an old merchant hires a band of wayfarers skilled with swords, words, and all manner of subterfuge to find the his brother's killer and restore his family's ancestral weapon. To that end, they must seek the farthest reaches of the known world, and journey beyond Westeros to lands long forgotten by mortal men.

Last edited by Kershaw; May 1 '12 at 8:14pm..
Well we all got to start somewhere, Ingwaz. And one more application is always welcome. We need all sorts, the more balanced the better, but the most important thing is to create a character you enjoy playing and go with it. If you need any help, just ask me or one of your fellow players. Head on over to the game forum if you have any questions.

Also, as I have received far more qualified applicants than I had anticipated in just this first week, I will be closing new applications on May 8th, with the game liable to start May 10th. Thank you for all the applications, and I look forward to anything new these nest couple of days.

Good to see such enthusiasm!

We're still working on the apps which we discussed earlier.
We should be able to whip up a more defined concept tomorrow, with a more detailed background (with possible stats) coming in on Monday.

Not that I presented overmuch for you to critique, but I'm going to withdraw from the running for a character slot. Things are not coming together as I would like them to in either the mechanics or background department.

Looks like you've got plenty of options to choose from anyway.

Best of luck with the game!

Sorry to hear that weregeek, I was looking forward to your application. If you change your mind, PM me about any concerns you have regarding fleshing out the stats and background and I would be more than happy to help.

I do love the world, but have 0 experience with the ruleset.

This being PbP though the ruleset could be learned if you're willing to take on a new player. A big fan of ASoIaF although I must say I've gotten a bit frustrated by A Dance with Dragons.

A character concept could go in any number of directions depending on need and story but I quite like the idea of an ex city watchman, a grizzled mercenary from the War of the Five Kings, perhaps even a lesser son of one of the noble houses.

If applications are still being accepted I'm certainly interested.

Applications are most definitely being accepted, SmokeyGB. I like all those ideas you've rolled by so far. The story is international, so any characters you have with international experience, be they Westerosi who have gone abroad like the Kettleblacks or the Golden Company, or foreigners who have come to Westeros such as Vargo Hoat or Thoros of Myr, will be given preference. The main thing is to come up with a character you would enjoy playing and who can work with others in the group. Post what you come up with and we will work from there.

Will do!

Just downloaded and briefly read through the ruleset and I like what I see. I'm thinking an outcast of sorts, likely Westerosi. A watchman who committed some crime and was faced with either taking the Black, death, or hitting the road in fear and shadow - he chose the latter and is a wanted man.

I can certainly work with you as to an origin that might fit into your plotline, if the character is from Oldtown that would give him some direct connection to Lowtower - perhaps he is even being coerced into assisting the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyGB View Post
I'm thinking an outcast of sorts, likely Westerosi. A watchman who committed some crime and was faced with either taking the Black, death, or hitting the road in fear and shadow - he chose the latter and is a wanted man.

I can certainly work with you as to an origin that might fit into your plotline, if the character is from Oldtown that would give him some direct connection to Lowtower - perhaps he is even being coerced into assisting the man.
Hey, I have a former pirate friend worked into my backstory. If you want to work out something together there would be room. Basically I was captured by pirates (long story but it's in my character sheet) and became friends with one of them who helped me escape. Since I have wealthy I made him a comfortable man who I visit from time to time. He'd certainly kind of fit the bill for the wanted man you mention and it'd easily tie us together.

We could make that work with some thought. I'll be putting my sheet together today and will create a loose background to be modified where and how it ties into plot.

Oh, btw, I too am an owner of the Green Bay Packers! Bought my certificate in the last sale. Though it amounts to little more than a stadium donation I do have it framed and hanging upon my wall!

Yeah, It's pretty much only good for bragging rights. That is why I make sure to mention it as often as possible in forum signatures, etc...