Notices

Beyond the Dead-Gray Mist (Diceless Eberron)

Old Jun 15 '12, 3:05am
Great Wyrm

Beyond the Dead-Gray Mist (Diceless Eberron)

Beyond the Dead Gray Mist - Forum
Freeform
Ad Closes: Jun 22 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 1

TL/DR: If you're not willing to read this entire post you're probably not going to be interested in this game. Sorry!

Flavor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Oargev ir'Wynarn, Cyran Refugee Camp, Breland, Therendor 4th, 994 YK View Post
People of Cyre! Remnants of my dear homeland! I, Oargev, scion of the ir'Wynarn line, son of Mishann, Queen of Cyre, rightful ruler of Galifar, stand before you today, forced by the terrible events of the last weeks to grasp the mantle of leadership years, decades, before it should have been taken from my mother, your Queen.

Yet my pain is nothing compared to yours, remnants of Cyre. I have lost my mother, my wife, my family, in the cruel, inexplicable events of Olarune 20th, and I mourn for them, mourn for them with all my heart. But there are those among who have lost not only parents and spouses, but children. There are those among you who have lost not only family and friends, but entire towns, entire cities. And you mourn for them, we mourn for them, with all our hearts.

But Olarune 20th, this day, this terrible day, this Day of Mourning, did not rob us only of our families, our friends, our dwellings, our livelihoods. It robbed us of our nation. Of Cyre. And compared to this loss, all the other tragedies of this terrible, inexplicable day are as nothing. (No, not inexplicable, I swear to you, for something, someone caused this day, this Day of Mourning, and I, we, shall never rest until that force is brought to justice...)

For on Olarune 19th, in Cyre, people still died, mothers and fathers, wives and husbands, daughters and sons. But one fragile, wonderful, shining idea lived on; Cyre lived on, beloved, cherished Cyre. In Eston, in Kalazart, in wonderful, shining Metrol, Cyre lived on, gleaming brightly at the heart of Khorvaire. If the Dragon Above, mighty Siberys himself, were to wake and to look down upon the life-bearing corpse of his sister Eberron, he would not have been able, on Olarune 19th, to tear his gaze away from Cyre, wonderful, shining Cyre, beloved, cherished Cyre, Cyre, the Jewel of Galifar. Now, though--

Full disclosure: this paragraph (but not the rest of the speech) is taken from Five Nations, p. 77.
Weep, oh nations of Khorvaire, for the Jewel of Galifar is no more. You have finally completed what you started when you rejected the true and proper right of Mishann to ascend the throne of Galifar. With your jealousy and petty ambitions, you have brought this disaster on us all! Weep, my brothers and sisters, for our homes and our families have been eliminated in a foul and cowardly way. Do not let Cyre be forgotten! Do not let the Day of Mourning end! Not until we have discovered the villain. Not until we have made the villain face justice for this heinous crime. Not until Cyre’s children are once more safe and content within their homeland. Weep this day, my fellow Cyrans, and never forget. But tomorrow . . . tomorrow we begin to hunt down this villain, to demand justice, and to rebuild beloved, cherished Cyre. Tomorrow! Tomorrow we shall go home!
You were one of the members of the crowd that day, the beaten, bedraggled remnants of once-mighty Cyre. Afterwards, Prince Oargev himself sought you out, invited you to his tent. There, he admitted to you and a few others that he had not been entirely forthcoming in his speech. Not only was the Day of Mourning (as Oargev had called it) not inexplicable, Oargev believed he had found an explanation for it--not, yet, a means or a motive, but a perpetrator, one far too powerful to accuse directly. No, revenging Cyre would not be simple, nor easy, nor quick. But standing in his tent that day, Prince Oargev, along with you and a few others, took a solemn oath: that once a new Cyre rose out of the ashes of the old, you would kindle a pyre of revenge, and let the perpetrator take its place.
PremiseThe game will be structured like a TV series: it will be divided into discrete episodes which combine together to make an overarching goal. After a prologue (the "pilot", tentatively titled "Memories Beyond") of solo threads starting on Olarune 19th, 994 YK establishing how the players arrived at the future site of New Cyre in time for Oargev's speech, first season will cover the period from then up until the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold in 996 YK--episodes will more-or-less alternate between treaty negotiation sessions and more action-based stuff, such as expeditions into the Mournland. Additional seasons will cover similar or longer spans of time--fulfilling the oath of revenge may very well take decades. For the most part, players will act as a team, rather than splitting up--so all PCs will need to be able to handle both social interactions and more physical work, if not actually heavy combat.
MechanicsThe game will be diceless, so there won't actually be any mechanics. However, note that it will be on the simulationist side of things: I will track things like dates, travel times, etc., and I will probably insist that the players keep detailed accounting of their possessions (the better to take them away ), though this is open to discussion.

On an OOC level, players will have a fair amount of metagame control: as noted above, the players will even choose who their primary antagonist will be. Especially during the prologue threads, I may go further: for example, I may say things like "your character walks onto the lighting rail car. Describe who else is present."

Finally, note that all IC posts should be in present tense, unless noted otherwise.
ResourcesI welcome people new to Eberron, as long as they're willing to put some effort into learning the setting. Fortunately, this is very easy, at least for a diceless game; all of the published (3.5 era) lore is freely available, between the Dragonshards and the Grand History of Eberron. You need not have read these before you create the character, but I expect you to be willing to look things up when necessary.

Note that I will default to the 3.5 version of Eberron, as that's the version I know best: don't expect dragonborn or Feyspires. However, this shouldn't stop you from using this material in your application if you want to: I'll include the 4e elements in the game if they're important to any of the PCs.
PacingI don't want to exclude anyone from this game based on posting rate. With that said, you'll be able to participate most fully if you can post
i.e. this is your usual rate. You don't have to live up to it 52 weeks a year: I'm not going to kick you from the game if you go on vacation, have busy periods at work, etc.--but please notify me a week or so in advance if possible when this is happening.
regularly at least twice a week. It's probably best if you can post at a faster clip during the prologue thread, since you'll be the only one driving your character's story and I intend to end all of the threads at the same time. However, if this is an issue we can work something out--perhaps working out some of the narrative over Gchat, or leaving some of it aside to be worked out later.

I will endeavor to regularly post at least every 48 hours; my usual rate should be one round of posts per day.
Number of PlayersApparently when you leave this field blank in the new ad form, you get 1. This will not actually be a solo game: it's safe to say that there will be more than 3 players and less than 10, but I can't be more precise than that right now. (Note that asking whether this is, in fact, a solo game, is an excellent way to prove you haven't read the whole ad and make me much less likely to accept your application.)
Application ProcessFirst, my now-standard description of what I want in a player and in a PC:

I want interesting characters; I also want interesting players. I want characters who have goals; I want players who have the motivation to create new goals once the first set have been met. I want characters who aren't centered around combat (perhaps characters who have never fought); I want players who are interested in things beyond killing and looting. I want characters who inhabit the world around them; I want players who want to explore and create every last detail of that world.

I don't expect your applications to be complete when first posted: instead, after you post an initial idea I will work with you to make the character more at home in Eberron, and to flesh out details of their past I can use to torment you with later. The best way to see what I'm looking for is to look at the ad for one of my previous games: since it was diceless, the best thing to look at is pink peril's application, posted here, and the sort of questions I asked and pp answered.

However, there are four necessary but not sufficient items I would like in your application by the deadline:

1. Where your character was on Olarune 19th, 994 YK (the day before the Day of Mourning).
2. A "day in the life," i.e. a more-or-less typical day for your character before the Mourning. I will probably use this to start your prologue thread, so you should probably make it at least somewhat interesting. See the descriptions by Crossroad, pink peril, Galedeep, and ShadowBright from my last advertisement for examples of the type of thing I'm looking for.
3. Why your character took the oath.
4. A possible explanation for the Mourning. This need not be what your character will believe after it occurs--in fact, it probably shouldn't be, since we'll play that out directly and since uncovering the nature of the Mourning will probably end up being a big plot point. This is more to make sure that you have a good enough grasp on Eberron that you can come up with something, and for my own selfish purposes.

Most of your application (points 3 and 4 above are an obvious exception) should pertain to your character before the Mourning. The Mourning itself should leave a big impression on your character (at least if they're actually in Cyre at the time), and it may alter your character's personality considerably. If that's the case, you should feel free to make some notes on what you think the effect of these changes will be, and we can work together in your prologue to justify them.

Applications may be private or public, I don't care, but note that the prologue posts will be public. I expect my players to be mature enough to separate IC from OOC knowledge--or, better yet, use their metagame knowledge to make the IC experience even more interesting. (I will give everyone private OOC threads, though.)

Go ahead and post applications in this thread, unless there's some rule against that now that I'm not aware of.

Please submit applications by 8 PM EST on the 22nd.

One last note: I will accept applications for Prince Oargev, but they will need to be exceptional, since having Oargev as a PC will significantly change the nature, or at least structure, of the game.
Applications

pink peril: Graece ir'Merat
Belul: Ali
Pumpkin31415: Taelin Phaloni
WhiteKnight777: Sebastian Nod
Silverkiss: Kormác Mondlicht
Karayan: Iskra ir'Siran
Havelock: Satros
RavenQueen: Valeriya ir'Rurik
Wizard of the Coat: Olivander Greybern d'Deneith
lasseram: Fargherat the Mourner
ShadowBright: Teela

Game Description:

Flavor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Oargev ir'Wynarn, Cyran Refugee Camp, Breland, Therendor 4th, 994 YK View Post
People of Cyre! Remnants of my dear homeland! I, Oargev, scion of the ir'Wynarn line, son of Mishann, Queen of Cyre, rightful ruler of Galifar, stand before you today, forced by the terrible events of the last weeks to grasp the mantle of leadership years, decades, before it should have been taken from my mother, your Queen.

Yet my pain is nothing compared to yours, remnants of Cyre. I have lost my mother, my wife, my family, in the cruel, inexplicable events of Olarune 20th, and I mourn for them, mourn for them with all my heart. But there are those among who have lost not only parents and spouses, but children. There are those among you who have lost not only family and friends, but entire towns, entire cities. And you mourn for them, we mourn for them, with all our hearts.

But Olarune 20th, this day, this terrible day, this Day of Mourning, did not rob us only of our families, our friends, our dwellings, our livelihoods. It robbed us of our nation. Of Cyre. And compared to this loss, all the other tragedies of this terrible, inexplicable day are as nothing. (No, not inexplicable, I swear to you, for something, someone caused this day, this Day of Mourning, and I, we, shall never rest until that force is brought to justice...)

For on Olarune 19th, in Cyre, people still died, mothers and fathers, wives and husbands, daughters and sons. But one fragile, wonderful, shining idea lived on; Cyre lived on, beloved, cherished Cyre. In Eston, in Kalazart, in wonderful, shining Metrol, Cyre lived on, gleaming brightly at the heart of Khorvaire. If the Dragon Above, mighty Siberys himself, were to wake and to look down upon the life-bearing corpse of his sister Eberron, he would not have been able, on Olarune 19th, to tear his gaze away from Cyre, wonderful, shining Cyre, beloved, cherished Cyre, Cyre, the Jewel of Galifar. Now, though--

Full disclosure: this paragraph (but not the rest of the speech) is taken from Five Nations, p. 77.
Weep, oh nations of Khorvaire, for the Jewel of Galifar is no more. You have finally completed what you started when you rejected the true and proper right of Mishann to ascend the throne of Galifar. With your jealousy and petty ambitions, you have brought this disaster on us all! Weep, my brothers and sisters, for our homes and our families have been eliminated in a foul and cowardly way. Do not let Cyre be forgotten! Do not let the Day of Mourning end! Not until we have discovered the villain. Not until we have made the villain face justice for this heinous crime. Not until Cyre’s children are once more safe and content within their homeland. Weep this day, my fellow Cyrans, and never forget. But tomorrow . . . tomorrow we begin to hunt down this villain, to demand justice, and to rebuild beloved, cherished Cyre. Tomorrow! Tomorrow we shall go home!
You were one of the members of the crowd that day, the beaten, bedraggled remnants of once-mighty Cyre. Afterwards, Prince Oargev himself sought you out, invited you to his tent. There, he admitted to you and a few others that he had not been entirely forthcoming in his speech. Not only was the Day of Mourning (as Oargev had called it) not inexplicable, Oargev believed he had found an explanation for it--not, yet, a means or a motive, but a perpetrator, one far too powerful to accuse directly. No, revenging Cyre would not be simple, nor easy, nor quick. But standing in his tent that day, Prince Oargev, along with you and a few others, took a solemn oath: that once a new Cyre rose out of the ashes of the old, you would kindle a pyre of revenge, and let the perpetrator take its place.
PremiseThe game will be structured like a TV series: it will be divided into discrete episodes which combine together to make an overarching goal. After a prologue (the "pilot", tentatively titled "Memories Beyond") of solo threads starting on Olarune 19th, 994 YK establishing how the players arrived at the future site of New Cyre in time for Oargev's speech, first season will cover the period from then up until the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold in 996 YK--episodes will more-or-less alternate between treaty negotiation sessions and more action-based stuff, such as expeditions into the Mournland. Additional seasons will cover similar or longer spans of time--fulfilling the oath of revenge may very well take decades. For the most part, players will act as a team, rather than splitting up--so all PCs will need to be able to handle both social interactions and more physical work, if not actually heavy combat.

Last edited by jalapeno_dude; Jun 22 '12 at 10:41pm.. Reason: added applications
Valeriya ir'Rurik

This application is not finished yet but I wanted to give an impression since the deadline's approaching.
Part of the Nutshell is done, Appearance & Mannerisms is done and there are a few stories in "Story Time", the rest is work in progress.

- Edit - Ok, I've added several stories and finished those that were not done yet. I've also added stuff to the "Nutshell" and completed the "Personality & Other Important Aspects" as well as the background category. Moreover, I've added a potential reason for why the Mourning happened. This is not what my character believes though.

Please note, that the background is just a summary that is not meant to display any kind of story-telling skills.
The stories in "Story Time" precede the rest of the application in terms of how it all developed in my head. That is why the stories contain the most valuable information when it comes to getting a feeling for the character.

It's still work in progress but should be much better now than before.

Application
Valeriya ir'Rurik

"Tomorrow in Cyre, Galifar rises again."

Nutshell

Appearance & Mannerisms

Personality & Other Important Aspects

Background

Story Time

Player's Explanation for the Mourning

Identification Papers
IDENTIFICATION PAPERS

Olivander Greybern d'Deneith

RACE: Human
DATE OF BIRTH: Olarune 20, 959
HEIGHT: 5' 10"
WEIGHT: 165 lbs
HAIR COLOR: Brown
EYE COLOR: Gray
IDENTIFYING MARKS: Dragonmark
RESIDENCE: Sentinel Tower, Karrlakton
AFFILIATIONS: House Deneith
SPECIAL: Sentinel Marshall

Added a new section 'The Oath', to Iskra's app. Er, although I should probably have entitled that 'The Oath and Various and Sundry Comments'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight777 View Post
I believe the item in the Cyran heraldry is actually a bellows (the thing a smith uses to pump air into a forge.) I could be wrong, though. But it goes along with the Cyran theme of creativity and productivity.
You are both right Crown and bell on a field of green, above a hammer and bellows. At least, that's what Five Nations says.

Responses!
@Whiteknight777Thanks for making these additions! You continue to write with a very strong voice, both in your dialogue and your narration. You've introduced a great cast of characters for me to work with. I have two main additional questions. First, I very much enjoyed your description of patronage. (Have you read The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear, by any chance?). But it's still not quite believable to me that Sebastian could rise so far, so fast. For that, I think I need to know more about the relationship between Sebastian and Chancellor Rayne. There's still a missing step between "doing clerical work" and "undersecretary." Is there some particular piece speech/policy document that impressed Rayne enough to start promoting him?

Second, I already know something about Rayne's religous views, between his hatred of the Silver Flame and his refusal to accept Dolurrh as Chandra's final resting place. Can you tie it all together for me? You've said that Rayne hates religious zealots, so presumably he isn't one--does he follow the Sovereign Host at all? Honestly, he seems like he'd be fairly sympathetic to the beliefs of the Blood of Vol...

Finally, some more minor notes/questions, in no particular order:
-I assume you mean Lord ir'Ambris, not d'Ambris (ir' is for nobles, d' is for marked members of dragonmarked houses). Similarly Lord ir'Rivas, and presumably it would be Chancellor ir'Rayne, unless Rayne is his first name...
-Can you let me know roughly where Sebastian grew up, and where Lord ir'Ambris' estate was located? A map of Cyre is here.
-Does Sebastian speak any languages besides the tongue of Galifar?
-Are Sebastian's parents alive or dead (on Olarune 19th)?
-"Editrix" is a truly horrible word.
@BelulSo, if I understand correctly, Ali will stick with the others trying to help rebuild Cyre and gain revenge for two reasons: to prevent Oargev from throwing more lives away needlessly, and because Samara would want her to. Which, at least initially, really just means the second reason, since otherwise she'd just have Oargev bumped off.

First reaction: I'd like to know a little more about Ali's moral code. From what you've told me so far, she seems to be fairly utilitarian, reasoning from an "ends justify the means" perspective: the deaths of innocents aren't inherently wrong, but they're bad now because the war isn't worth fighting. Similarly, Ali would be perfectly willing to have Oargev killed to prevent further bloodshed. Would you say that Ali is a pure utilitarian? Or are there absolute moral precepts she follows?Are there things she would refuse to do no matter how great the expected benefit?

Second: an awful lot of Ali's motivations seem to be reliant on Samara's existence. Let's say, hypothetically, Ali thinks Samara has died. Besides pursuing revenge, etc., what would Ali's remaining motivations be? Are there things she would continue to do, i.e that she does not just in order to please Samara?
@SilverkissLike the vignette, not much to comment on. Except: since you mentioned silver coins ("Sovereigns", in Eberron terms), how does Kormác avoid handling them?
@SyndlAgh! Apostrophe problem in the first paragraph! Eyes...bleeding!

...don't worry, I'll get over it. Eventually.

Aside from that small *twitch* error, your writing is very good: both vignettes describe interesting characters. However, at the moment they don't really feel like the same character. I assume the "day in the life" will fill in more information about Silas and Nahdya's work as a member of Cyran intelligence. This is certainly necessary, but I don't think it will suffice to bridge the gap between the vignettes. I understand where you're trying to go with the "ex-spy who just wants to be left alone" vibe in the first vignette, but I'm not quite feeling it. Nahdya just feels too inexperienced here: her fear on seeing Corra gone is that she's gotten cold feet, not, e.g., that Corra has betrayed her, or that she's been kidnapped, which are more the sort of things I'd expect from an ex-spy.

So, bridging that gap is the main things you should work on next. Aside from that, two more minor things:

-I assume Nahdya's father is a Cyran Master-at-Arms, not the Cyran Master-at-Arms? If it's actually a singular position, then I'd assume it would be held by a noble, which would make Nahdya an ir'Bartell.
-You say Nahdya "took her commands without hesitation," but "balked at taking orders from her peers." Also, that she "preferred the solitude of scouting", and "disagreements often broke out," but on the other hand she "was efficient, quiet, observant. She could blend in anywhere, get information out of anyone." These seem like contradictions. Can you explaint them, or resolve them in one direction or another?
@Pumpkin31415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin31415 View Post
Actually, JD, just how public is this group? Is it something (at least on the surface) that Oagrev would put a lot of publicity behind, that he's being proactive about taking control of the whole Mourning situation, or leaving it more as a Mission Impossible-style "if you are caught we will disavow all knowledge" sort of deal?
I haven't really decided yet, but it will probably be something like WhiteKnight777's speculations. There certainly won't be a "public" organization of oath-takers: however, the more social members of the group might end up as members of the Cyran government-in-exile, delegates to the Thronehold Conference, etc.

That's all I have time for tonight. Sorry to those to whom I haven't had the chance to give feedback yet.

@jalapeno_dude: Once again, thanks for the feedback! I've got to hit the hay here so I can rise again for work in the morning, but I've fixed the d'/ir' confusion. I'll be updating everything else as soon as I have the occasion tomorrow.

On the subject of Sebastian's advancement - I've got a couple of ideas whirling around in my head, but I think it's going to be a combination of talent (writing some impressive policy/speeches/diplomatic material,) combined with some less... meritorious persuasion - probably something wherein Sebastian does some personal favors to help Rayne either indulge in a particular pastime or help him maneuver politically - quite possibly a bit of both. Being introduced to the "realities of the system" is the reason for the disillusionment Sebastian experienced regarding his superior between the two vignettes, although I hadn't elaborated on it yet.

Regarding the Blood of Vol - He'd probably be sympathetic to some of their teachings, but the blood fetish would probably put him off a bit. The Blood has always seemed to me like the goth version of the Godsmen from Planescape (Since they're pretty much *exactly* Godsmen with lots of black makeup on. ) Sebastian would definitely be sympathetic to the elements of their doctrine that promote meritocracy and decry a reliance on salvation through grace, especially the part about avoiding the sucktastic afterlife. Although Sebastian is probably not aware of the true metaphysics behind Eberron... Yet.

Short version - he'd definitely be sympathetic to their views, but his time has pretty much always been taken up with his work or his wife, so he probably wouldn't be significantly involved in the organization. I'll be pondering Sebastian's exact religious views so I can provide a more elaborate answer.

Oh, by the way, I'd just like to say that I'm pretty impressed the with the caliber of submissions that people have been creating. Really great job guys. Also, I've added a few more IC things relating to Taelin's past.

Oh I agree so much with you Pumpkin and Snark they're amazing. A lot of scary competition in here. Back to reading how to write strong classical female characters.

@JD: Question 3 came out a little more harsh then what I wanted. I've changed the last couple paragraphs to be closer to what I want for her. I also added a lot to the ooc to put it into context and answer your questions. Hopefully this will be more agreeable.

Is the touch of silver actively harmful to werewolves? I thought it was just that they despised it and that it overcame their natural defences (ie, more the "I don't like touching silver" than the "touching silver burns me" case). Either way, I'll show it in one of the other stories - which will probably only come on wednesday/thursday, due to some stuff that came up.