- Pathfinder's Ultimate Magic Rules, in Chapter 2: Mastering Magic, Designing Spells on page 128. is the basis for spell research.
- With subtle additions
- it takes two weeks per spell level to research a spell.
- At the end of week, the caster makes a Spellcraft Check against the level of the spell.
- Spell Research costs 1000 gp/spell level
- The caster must have access to a laboratory.
- After all that...
- In character, it is established the character has been researching for the required time and spent the required gold in the necessary conditions.
- At this time, the player presents their completed spell.
- If it is rejected, they must begin anew.
- The Dungeon Master holds the final say on any spell, and any rules cited from Ultimate Magic, the 3rd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide and any other sources.