Notices

~The Seeping Darkness~ (New players welcome)

Old Jul 8 '12, 1:53am
The Poster Formerly Known As Mariel

~The Seeping Darkness~ (New players welcome)

The Seeping Darkness - Forum
Call of Cthulhu
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Click image for music!

It's spring, 1922, and the twenties are just starting to roar. The Great War is over and emotions are high. Prohibition is beginning to be enforced, jazz music is making an entrance, and Warren G. Harding is in the Oval Office. A generation of women throw off their corsets and cut their hair into bobs--anything is possible!

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

The Seeping Darkness is a campaign for 6th Edition Call of Cthulhu built around a series of published mini-adventures. Between each adventure characters will have time to recuperate, train their skills, and seek psychological treatment. Tying the storyline together are the cryptic whims of an eccentric millionaire who has set out to assemble a team of 'talented' people from a range of backgrounds and professions. (Think League of Extraordinary Gentlemen minus the fantastical literary figures and sexual themes, or the party gathered by Prof. Van Helsing in Bram Stoker's Dracula.)

Previous experience with the system is welcome but not necessary; everything needed for play is already available on the forum and I will be happy to answer any questions here or in PMs. CoC is heavy on role-play so good writing skills and solid, realistic characters are a must. Characters can be die-hard skeptics or fervent believers in the occult, well known professionals or obscure recluses. The only requirement is that they possess some noteworthy skill or knowledge that makes them particularly suited for the thankless job of saving the world.

A warning: Call of Cthulhu characters have a high chance of dying or going permanently insane, and while the investigators in this campaign will be better prepared than most for the things that go bump in the night, there is a good chance one or two will get killed or go mad along the way. If this happens it's not the end of world. Players will be able to roll up new fresh meat characters and keep playing. I promise I'm not a 'meat-grinder' GM, but I won't be pulling the punches for you guys either.

Please ask questions here, but make characters in the Applications folder.

Apps will be accepted until July 18th, although I may close it sooner there are enough applicants.

Game Description:

In The Past...

The name Wolfgang Hodenstahl was once synonymous with 'Adventure'. World explorer, millionaire philanthropist, amateur archaelogist, big game hunter, and of course, ladies' man, the handsome second-generation German American made headlines in all the right papers and friends in all the right circles. His exploits, embellished with the artistic liberties of journalists, held the public in thrawl while his many monetary and artifact contributions to leading scientific institutions made him popular in academic circles as well. (Although more than one archaeology professor was known to gripe that he tended to destroy more history than he preserved.)

His charming, self-deprecating personality made him approachable and at every party or gathering he was the perfect guest: famous, interesting, entertaining, but not one to hog the spotlight. His own parties at his large estate in northern Massachusetts were always well attended and he was known to go bear hunting in the area in the company of Theodore Roosevelt and his cabinet.

On March 1st, 1908, he left the country on a particularly expensive and well publicized expedition to Africa from where, he claimed, he would bring back extraordinary proof of mankind's earliest selves. Leaving the academics lurching between scepticism and anticipation, he set off by ship to Europe and thence, to darkest Africa. The trip was to take six months.

Three years later a broken Hodenstahl crawled into a British settlement on the Gold Coast, his guides and expedition members long gone and his mind unhinged. He was quickly returned to the 'States where the tabloids buzzed madly about what horrible fate may have befallen the expedition and exaggerated every detail leaked about his condition. After a brief stay in Arkham Sanitarium, he returned to his estate and fired all of his staff save three. He refused all visitors and interviews and in time the public grew bored and sought scandal elsewhere.

The world seemed to forget that he existed. For ten years no one has heard from him, not a letter, not a telegram, not a check. Until now.

In The Present...

Several individuals have received strange letters in the mail. Handwritten on fine parchment, they are sealed in dark green wax with a coat of arms bearing an anvil and a coiled serpent.

The Letter
April 3, 1922
Greetings,

My name is Wolfgang Hodenstahl, and I hope this letter finds you well. I understand that you are a person of significant talent and it is my dearest wish to make your acquaintance. I have a proposal that I believe will interest you, but would prefer to speak of such things in person. Therefore I would like to extend an invitation for you to visit my estate north of Arkham, Massachusetts, for the weekend of the 22nd. Enclosed with this letter are train tickets for the Boston & Maine Railroad Depot in Arkham, from which a waiting taxi will convey yourself and the other guests to my country estate should you choose to attend. Please do not feel you are obligated to visit; should your schedule not allow it I will more than understand.

I wish you only the best, and success in all of your endeavors.

Your servant,
W.L. Hodenstahl

Last edited by Puzzle; Jul 8 '12 at 2:58am..
There are a lot of really good applications now, however in my experience most PBP games have a 50% retention rate. It's nobody's fault, but sometimes people get too IRL busy or realize they bit off more than they can chew or simply don't like the way it's being run. Rather than go through a whole new recruitment process when/if we lose someone, I will first extend invitations to whichever players I felt had really strong applications here. (And there ARE some good ones who aren't going to make it. I'm really impressed and honored by the caliber of players who have applied and I wish I could take more people in the game, but six will be chaotic enough as it is. I've been reading everyone's apps today and yesterday and this isn't going to be an easy choice.)

So, if you do not make it in this round but would like a chance at playing in the future, (or if you think you can knock my socks off with an awesome character app ), please do apply.

Hello everyone!

First off, thank you all for such wonderful applications. I enjoyed reading all of them and it drives me crazy that I can only choose six. So many of the characters were worthy of playing and in then end I chose based on a combination of writing skill, diverse posting styles (to keep things interesting), complementary skill sets, and plausibility for Hodenstahl's interest. If you didn't get chosen but someone else stops playing in the future, I will contact you via PM to see if you are still interested. Thank you again, and here are the chosen players.

Tommaso Arena, Doctor of Medicine - Lukmar
Siobhan Byrne, Private Detective - The 7th Majestic
Issac Bailey, Medical Examiner/Forensic Scientist - DuckEgg
Dr. Ezekiah Jenkins, Field Archaeologist - Itzchy
Edmund Freeman, Drifter/Student - Kershaw
Claire Gollibard, Antiquarian - Strooder

Thank you again, everyone who applied. I appreciate all of the hard work you put into your characters, and I wish you good
luck in your future games!

If you got in, you will soon get a PM invitation.