Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Tips and Criticisms to become a better DM (I apologize I know this is long)

@Whisper: That is a really good suggestion I had been thinking of it as an idea after reading Weapons of Legacy but was a little unclear as to whether or not this would be a good idea; I have never tested it out before but may try it with the PC who is essentially taken the role as leader for the group

I like a lot of what I'm hearing I thought that it was unfair if the DM decided to go with his gut on what he thought was the right thing to do but apparently I probably do need to learn to put my foot down when a player begins to overstep his boundaries.

In my opinion, most Weapons of Legacy (as presented in the book) are not worth it; the price to wield one usually overshadows their benefits - unless one builds a custom WoL which benefits counteract its cost.

Quote:
I like a lot of what I'm hearing I thought that it was unfair if the DM decided to go with his gut on what he thought was the right thing to do but apparently I probably do need to learn to put my foot down when a player begins to overstep his boundaries.
Where that line is is impossible to state, as it differs from group to group and playstyle to playstyle.

Personally, I usually give the rules the highest priority. That doesn't mean a GM cannot step beyond them but that needs to be done / announced beforehand (in the form of houserules, e.g. XP-penalties due to multiclassing don't exist) or must have an in-game reason (which the GM should either explain - preferably in-game, out-game, if necessary - or at least hint at [Yes, I know that's not how the rules work, but there is a reason).

The sudden change of rules mid-game without any
"No, these weapons cannot be melted down"
"Why ? Neither detect magic nor identify so much as hinted at that (or anything strange), nor was there any hint of this following my 25-30 spellcraft / knowledge arcana rolls. According to the rules, a magic sword can be melted down, destroying it."
"They don't melt"
explanation or the misunderstanding / misapplication of
"The acid bolt deals 6d4 points of damage to the cleric. Plus, he takes 2d4 points of damage from the one last round."
"I roll Spellcraft to identify the spell" *surpasses DC*
"Acid Arrow"
"Err... that spells doesn't work that way... it deals 2d4 on the first round, then 2d4 damage on the next x rounds"
"No."
"Yes; my character has been using that spell since level 3!"
rules were a major point between me and my last tabletop GM.
I'm fine with changing rules, but not like that; if the rules are changed (especially for things that the PCs either know or are capable of doing themselves), the players have to be informed beforehand...