The Top of the Mountain

Old Aug 22 '12, 4:36pm
Puny God.

The Top of the Mountain

Top of the Mountain - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Estimated Members Requested: 5

"Come over here, child. Let me tell you a story."

So many adventurers started just this way, with a grandfather or elder sitting you down and telling you stories of a far-off land with wonderous sights. He would delight you in grand, epic adventurers with untold riches and honor at the end. The good always defeated evil in the end.

Then you grew up, and realized that those stories aren't the way things really are. There is not always untold treasures at the end of an adventure, and often evil did triumph. Sometimes you had to DO evil to accomplish what you set out to do.

Life is not black and white. You learned that very quickly.

So when stories and rumors about activity starting up near the top of Wyvern Mountain, the old stories you heard come back to you. This is the same mountain that myth held had dragons and wyverns and other hordes of monsters. This is the same mountain that held untold treasures, according to some.

But you also know stories aren't the way things really are. You know other adventurers have climbed the mountain, only to return empty handed or not at all.

So, why are rumors about the mountain popping up now all of a sudden? Is there something new inside?

----------------------------------------------
About Myself

I'm old.
I remember walking uphill 3 miles in a BLIZZARD just to play D&D, and we did all the math in our heads!!! I didn't have no fancy com-puter to our sheets -- we used ... a pencil! Young whippersnappers ....

Seriously, I started playing 1st Edition D&D in 1978 when I was 7. My parents bought me a Player's Handbook and encouraged me to use my imagination. 30+ years later, I'm a husband and father to an active 4 year old boy, and free time isn't what it used to be, so this is a nice compromise.

My Philosophy

My philosphy is simple and three-fold.
When a game ceases to be fun, change the game or stop playing.

What this means to me is that the primary duty of a DM is to try to make the game enjoyable, and that's what I aim to do. I'll need the players help, though. If there are suggestions you have, I not only want to know, I expect to know. If I'm screwing up somehow, please tell me. I promise to listen and I take criticism well (after all, I am married). Having said that ...

The rules are a tool for the story. Story will ALWAYS trump rules.

I do not want rulesmongers or rules munchkins. If something a player does is cool and adds to the story, we will make the rules fit it. I will not be a slave to the rules. Also, I'm not a fan of min/max players, which is why I don't want a stat sheet in you submission, but I DO want to see the character. At this stage, I don't care what your Strength stat is -- but I do want to know what makes your character tick.

Rules and stats are important, but they're not important NOW.

To sum it up, if you are a story-first, character-driven team player who loves to create with others and have a good time, I want to talk to you.

What I want

This is a 4th Edition game for 5 characters of 3rd Level.

My submission form for this game will have some unusual questions, and that's designed to try and take you out of your comfort zone and make you think more about the inner workings of your character.

Please feel free to expound as much as you want. You don't have to write a novel, but I do want more than 2 or 3 words per question.

Any questions or suggestion, please let me know. If you would rather answer some or all questions privately, feel free to use private tags or PM me your sheet. A little mystery hurts no one.

... except the DM. I hate mysteries.

--- --- --- ---
Name:

Race:
Class:

Background/History:

--- Answer the following questions in the Voice of your character ---

1. Why are you an adventurer?
2. You have the choice of saving an innocent girl or killing the wizard that holds her captive. Choosing to save the girl ensures the wizard escapes, leaving no trail for you to track. Choosing to kill the wizard ensures the death of the girl. Which do you do and why?
3. How do you like your eggs cooked and why?
4. If you were a king/queen, what would be your first edict?
5. What is your one regret in life?

Game Description:

A 4th Edition Adventure designed for 5 3rd level characters.

Last edited by ComicsFan; Aug 22 '12 at 4:56pm..
I am posting for interest right now and I will be submitting something later today as I haven't had sleep yet. But I like how this sounds already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingpenguin View Post
Interested, would like to know the deadline.
As would I. Asked earlier, but never did get a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyz View Post
Alright, and backgrounds/themes?

EDIT: And what sort of deadline are you looking for? And what sort of posting rate?
Any backgrounds or themes allowed by WoTC, except those in Forgotten Realms or Dark Sun. Scales of War backgrounds are allowed.

I would like to have picked my players by September 1st, but I reserve the right to pick players as we go along.

As for posting rates, I'd like a post a day, with some leeway on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghataria View Post
I am relatively interested in this one.

But before I start typing, can I get an idea of tech level for this campaign?
No firearms, but if you have something in mind, let me know and we can discuss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
I've been keeping an eye open for a good game to get back into D&D 4E. This is promising.

I'm thinking of going with an elf/half-elf druid, reviving an old concept. Mechanically, she focuses on the Controller aspects of the role. Thematically, she's a weather druid, listening to the spirit's words on the wind.

Just out of curiosity, can we submit a character sheet if we choose? I completely understand that the character and backstory are what you want more now, but it really helps me to at least get an idea for their mechanical build before I start the character aspect. I like to know where she'll be before I know how she got there.
Sure, you can do up a sheet if you want. I just always thought it silly to take the time to do up a sheet when there's no guarantee of entrance. If it helps you develop the character, that's cool. Just so you know it won't have a bearing on entrance into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series0 View Post
I submitted a hybrid Druid/Rogue for your slaying stones game named Wink. He didn't make the cut there. Should I resubmit him here (as I still want to play him) or should I create a new submission (for a better chance to get in)?
You can do both. I allow multiple submissions.

I remember Wink very well. He was on my last list to get into the game, and it was a hard decision between him and another character to get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
ComicsFan, just curious, how are we handling things like deities? Just the ones from the core setting?
From the core setting, so you can use Raven Queen, no problem. If you have a specific diety not in PoL you'd like to use, just ask her or PM me, and we can talk about it.