General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Your Three Favorite Heroes... also with a catch

I thought these three were a interesting example because they all use similiar skill sets to survive and win in their settings. Fast talking, trickery, stealing, and whatever else is required to get the job done.

Lawful Good: Phèdre nó Delaunay. A spy and courtesan she shows a kind regard for others, an exceptional case of bravery, fiercely loyal to her friends, and is a patriot to her country. She sacrifices again and again for the good of her people and her nation.

Neutral Good: Malcolm Reynolds. Now reduced to smuggling and thievery at the edge of the system deep down under a layer of cynicism he maintains a chivalrous attitude, considers his word his bond, and does whats needed to keep his crew safe. He will actively work against a corrupt government in the hope something better can spring from it...but only after he has tried everything else.

Chaotic Good: Locke Lamora. A Gentleman Bastard and dedicated thief and conman. While he can be kind enough and is very loyal to his gang he is driven by a need to perform grandiose cons as a statement of his own peculiar ethics. The law is just something to work around and a great con is a better reminder to the rich that even they aren't immune to consequences of their corruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Caleb View Post
Lawful Good - Perrin - lays out his plans and follows through methodically. Also enjoys and does well in a repetitive job setting (blacksmith). Does have an emotional blow up regarding desperation over his wife. Just shows no personality / character type is a complete wall of stone never to have the person go against what is the 'usual' for them.
My single favorite scene with Perrin is when he interrogates a Shaido Aiel... that was downright vicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Neutral Good: Malcolm Reynolds. Now reduced to smuggling and thievery at the edge of the system deep down under a layer of cynicism he maintains a chivalrous attitude, considers his word his bond, and does whats needed to keep his crew safe. He will actively work against a corrupt government in the hope something better can spring from it...but only after he has tried everything else.
Perhaps I misplaced him in the Chaotic Good category...

Don't mean to derail thread. It's a great one. Great examples and discussion.
Malcom Reynolds is a great character well done. I think strong, sound arguements could be made for him as either neutral good or chaotic good. Definitely good though he likely could not admit that to himself and wouldn't want others to think so. He is certainly loyal to his crew. And to a worthwhile cause or person. From past scenes it seemed he was a lawful good person who trusted and followed authority. Believing they knew what they were doing and certainly never thinking they might be putting soldiers in harms way for a war that (the evidence seems) they could not win.

Events lead him to be jaded and cynical of command structure, military, leaders, his past religion, life, the universe, and everything.

I would think the arguement for him truly being neutral good would be that he used to be truly lawful. He's had a giant swing off of that due to some traumatic events. And that likely he is really now neutral good and still bitter about things. If he continued to survive long enough - he would likely 'level off' some to a more neutral good character. No longer lawful, but perhaps having 'made his peace' with his religion, people to some degree, life, the universe, and everything. And a little less chaotic. If he survived long enough to 'settle down' and start a family, this especially might be shown as the case. And there's good elements of lawful he keeps - like keeping his word. Loyalty to his crew. He definitely holds ot chain of command on his ship, etc. That make good arguments for him being neutral good in conjunction with his chaotic elements. I think of him as chaotic, but I could agree with either.

The best arguement I think for him being chaotic - would be to watch the show.
(Not dismissing other elements of the show that would indicate him being neutral or having some lawful aspects.)
Some of my favorite scenes - when he is fighting a big huge dude, and his second in command comrade says to the others [something to the effect of] 'he's got to [do] this himself'. To which he whimpers 'no I don't!'. And they shoot the big dude. So many great examples. Like him threatening good people that he will just jettison them off the ship (the doctor and his sister) if they threaten the crew. And you being fairly certain he just might. Might. He might be bluffing, but he's crazy enough he just might do it. Applies to a lot of things he says/does.

Cool, dynamic character.
The End.

Suppose I should post my 3... my thread, right?

Lawful Good: Roland Deschain of Gilead, the Line of Eld - Although I don't like how the series ended, Roland is one of a select few character who would be a correctly-portrayed paladin.

Neutral Good: Captain Benjamin Sisko - This one is a bit off-the wall as far as heroes go. Even willing to sacifice his own morals (and a prime directive or two) to make sure that the good side comes out in the end.

Chaotic Good: The Doctor. Timelords are cool.

Lawful Good: Gilgamesh - Gotta go with at least one epic. Honestly, I can't define Gilgamesh's alignment, depending on when you look at him he's anywhere from LE to CG. However, he's classified hero and ends his life as a king.

Neutral Good: Raven - Native American Deity. Saved Humanity. Teaches Lessons. Dislikes Authority. Gets people lost in the woods to teach them lessons. Always on the Side of Good. He's not chaotic by nature.

Chaotic Good: Rufi-Oh! - Yup, from the movie "Hook". Gotta have a hero in the Pan movies somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Caleb View Post
The best arguement I think for him being chaotic - would be to watch the show.
LOL...and here I was thinking watching the show clearly showed his neutral tendencies!

I'm not going to argue the validity of anybody else's conclusions based on something as subjective as the D&D alignment system but I can offer my thoughts as to why I chose 'neutral good'.

Chaotic indicates that in many ways a character is quite comfortable with going his own way in the world, what others think be damned. He develops his own peculiar code and remains independent of society at large, often getting into active conflict over morality.

Malcolm though shows a strong tendency to organize into 'respectable' communities. He isn't really a rules-breaking radical except maybe to totalitarian dictator types. Given the chance you know he would be quite happy managing his mother's ranch as a respectable citizen of his world. In conversations with Inara he is clearly not proud of being reduced to an outlaw stealing for a living. He does it because it helps him maintain the little community of fellow travellers he created, independent of outside interference. The community he creates also displays a strong hierarchy. Malcolm is the apex, in charge and the arbiter of order for his ship. Everybody below him knows their place and duties. Malcolm is no Captain Bligh though. He is quite tolerant of dissent and discussion and actively solicits opinions when its feasible. Even so though the community comes first. If any individual threatens its safety Malcolm will act decisively to end that threat, as Jayne found out the hard way.

Ultimately Malcolm would prefer to be 'lawful' but is forced into 'neutral' by a tyrannical system he is trying to survive with some shred of dignity intact.

Just my 2 cents! Feel free to disagree!

[And apologies for the thread derailment.]

Lawful Good- Sierra - 117. Kicks ass, but follows chain of command while doing it. Seriously, nobody has ever been more of a badass just by following orders.
Neutral Good- Qui-Gon Jinn. Doesn't care what the council thinks. Follows his gut, whether the council agrees or not.
Chaotic Good- Fenix. "And though I damn myself by doing so, I will stand by you till the end" I'm sorry, but Fenix, from the starcraft series, has always been my favorite hero of all time from the time I was a child. Entaro Adun Warriors.