Notices


Forge of Fury

 
 
Old Oct 4 '12, 2:09am
wezzyfish wezzyfish is offline
Elder Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 779
Forge of Fury

Forge of Fury - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Oct 10 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

The legend of Durgeddin the Black is well known in this region. In each of the small, scattered towns you've passed through, you've heard stories of wondrous treasure hidden in long-lost dwarven vaults and a pitiless war of vengeance between dwarf and orc a hundred years past.

Durgeddin was a master smith who forged blades of surpassing quality and power. Centuries ago, Durgeddin's home was sacked by orcs. Dureddin led the remnants of his clan to a new stronghold in the mountains north of the town of Blasingdell and established a small secret stronghold somewhere in the trackless wilderness.

From his hidden redoubt, he waged a decades-long vendetta against all orc-kind, until one day his enemies discovered his fortress and attacked it. Durgeddin and his followers perished, and much wealth was carried away by the conquering hordes. But it's said that the deepest and best-hidden vaults and armories escaped the looting, and that some of Durgeddin's extraordinary blades still wait in the darkness for a hand bold enough to claim one.

You've come to Blasingdell, a small mining town on the northern frontier, to see if there's anything to these stories. Maps you've seen show that the old dwarf-hold lies about three days' march to the north of the town. Dark, deeply forested hills rise beyond the town's outskirts.

Character Creation
-All characters will start out at 3rd level and have 2700gp to spend on starting equipment.
-36 Point Buy for stats
-Hp will be max for 1st level and rolled for the others, rounding up to the average number if less than half. (example, on a D10, any roll from 1-5 is actually a 5.) If there are questions regarding this, just ask.
-Alignment can be anything non-evil.
-I will accept any basic race and class combination from the PHB, Oriental Adventures, any of the 3.0 class handbooks, and a few other materials. I am open minded to many character types so just shoot them my way. No psionics.
-All applications need to have a link to a completed character sheet and a physical description as well as personality and background to be accepted. I will only be accepting 4-5 characters.
-If you need help with character creation or need to run an idea by me, either post in the OOC thread or send me a PM.
-It will also make it easier if at least most of the party has known each other for some time before the quest.
-Also, I would greatly prefer players who are not familiar with this published adventure. I plan to tweak it a bit anyway and give it some of my own flavor in places, but still, I'd like it to be a fresh experience for all involved

Game Description:

What Waits in the Ruined Dwarf Stronghold?

Two hundred years ago, the great dwarf smith Durgeddin the Black built Khundrukar, a hidden stronghold for his war of vengeance against all orckind. For years Durgeddin labored, until the orcs discovered Khundrukar and stormed the citadel, slaying all within. Legends say that Durgeddin's masterful blades and glittering treasures were never found.


Last edited by wezzyfish; Oct 4 '12 at 3:16am..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
Yes I'm ok with 3.5 stuff. I don't have all those books, but the internet is a wonderful tool. Just throw ideas my way and I'll be able to say yay or nay. I'm pretty open to the incarnum and tome books too.
Horray for the internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
Actually, I had already thought about that. I'll allow 1 of either a flaw or a trait but it has to be OK'd. If its a flaw, I want it to actually be a bit of a flaw for your character and I want whatever you choose to add to the roleplaying factor.
That's easy enough; I can hardly count it as a flaw if it doesn't actually hurt me.... hm.... Glory Hound and Divine Gesture, depending on the build, would be decently in character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
I'm fine with Arms and Equipment. I'm not familiar with the others so much, but I'm sure its fine. I do have a sort of hatred for anything dragon lance..... but that's more a personal thing that doesn't have to interfere with the game.
Good to know. I'll be happy to explain anything odd that appears on my sheet when I get them posted. Can I submit two applications, or only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
Just one prestige class if you please. I'll allow both deities, though Pelor is the more popular in this world. Can pick either you prefer.
I couldn't take both prestige classes, one after the other? Or only 1 prestige class period in the future? Either way, Fair enough, given that they're for different gods, even though they're both healing focused. My final question before I start trying to figure something out: Am I allowed to add thematically appropriate spells per the Spell Compendium's Recommendation to the Healer's spell list (ie Cleric List Healing, Buffing, Defensive and Support Spells)?

umm, to be honest, I don't completely understand the question. As far as I'm concerned, you get your class spell list period, and can choose among that. So as a cleric, you have access to all cleric spells of levels you can cast, and can prepare whatever you want that day.... only spell use that goes completely against your deities belief system will have any penalties. I'm sure i"m misunderstanding the question, so feel free to elaborate for me. As it is, you are level 3 and this particular quest will probably get you to 5 or 6 before we move on to another, so don't need to stress out too much over future builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
umm, to be honest, I don't completely understand the question. As far as I'm concerned, you get your class spell list period, and can choose among that. So as a cleric, you have access to all cleric spells of levels you can cast, and can prepare whatever you want that day.... only spell use that goes completely against your deities belief system will have any penalties. I'm sure i"m misunderstanding the question, so feel free to elaborate for me. As it is, you are level 3 and this particular quest will probably get you to 5 or 6 before we move on to another, so don't need to stress out too much over future builds.
That actually does answer my question. Don't worry about it; the place I was at before I tried to find a game here sorta burned the "be the absolute best at what you do, and then be even better at it" mindset into me, hence me searching for options.

Although you did not address if it was wrong or not if I applied 2 characters for yours and the group consideration. What say you there?

oh that's fine, I'll allow 2 applications but no more. Just keep in mind that only one will get in (if that) and it will be the one that I feel is the most beneficial to the group and interests me the most. So I'd come up with two ideas that you really wouldn't mind playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
oh that's fine, I'll allow 2 applications but no more. Just keep in mind that only one will get in (if that) and it will be the one that I feel is the most beneficial to the group and interests me the most. So I'd come up with two ideas that you really wouldn't mind playing.
Sweet. I'm going to the gym, but when I get back, I should be able to work out most of the info pretty quickly. Cleric --> Radiant Servant or Goliath Zhentarim Fighter. (or just fighter, if Zhentarim is too strong).

I get the whole "maximize your character" mentality and to some extent that's fine. I've always been good at creating powerful characters, and yet to me, roleplaying is far more important than rollplaying, especially in a PBP game. Not every party necessarily needs a sword and board warrior, healing cleric, high skill rogue and evocation wizard. Sometimes it can be more fun and challenging to be just some random group of people. The last group I was able to GM through this particular adventure was a druid, a rogue, a ranger and a cleric npc I threw together to round out the party. They all just played the kind of character they wanted to be instead of thinking "what would be the most effective dungeon crawler?" and we all had a really good time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
I get the whole "maximize your character" mentality and to some extent that's fine. I've always been good at creating powerful characters, and yet to me, roleplaying is far more important than rollplaying, especially in a PBP game. Not every party necessarily needs a sword and board warrior, healing cleric, high skill rogue and evocation wizard. Sometimes it can be more fun and challenging to be just some random group of people. The last group I was able to GM through this particular adventure was a druid, a rogue, a ranger and a cleric npc I threw together to round out the party. They all just played the kind of character they wanted to be instead of thinking "what would be the most effective dungeon crawler?" and we all had a really good time
I've always hated the idea of making game-brekingly strong characters. I absolutely always make sure I can personally act out, if not at least feel, my character's personality and beliefs. I very much value my roleplaying. At the same time, the gamer, perfectionist, and stubborn-knucklehead in me demands I be the absolute best at whatever I do. Anything I put my mind to, I better pull out all the stops and give it everything I've got! So I like my rollplaying to roll for the stars. Nothing wrong with having your cake and eating it, too, so long as everyone gets a slice.

... I'm about to work out, yet I want to get some cake. Darn it!

lol my wife is making a wedding cake as we speak. Best chocolate cake recipe out there. Martha Stewart is awesome.

requirement that it is masterwork quality, and you pay the price for the mw weapon and the mw instrument. Sure, why not?





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status