Notices

Arctic adventure in homebrew setting needs a couple of players!

Old Oct 7 '12, 5:22am
Great Wyrm

Arctic adventure in homebrew setting needs a couple of players!

Hands of the Iron Queen - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Oct 13 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 1

**ATTENTION** New players requested are now 2.

My homebrew-setting D&D 3.5 arctic adventure, Hands of the Iron Queen, is in need of a couple new players. This game has plenty of combat and action and stuff but is also heavily RP-centric, so if you want to play please enjoy reading and story and traveling and stuff. Read up on setting info here, and please try to fit your character in with the setting.

Put your apps in this thread, please.

I appreciate well-thought-out backgrounds, and I will even try to include any plot hooks in your background into the game somehow. I believe in making the adventure personal for every character in some way or another.

**Warning: Characters with generic, non-setting-specific backgrounds will be rejected outright regardless of how awesome everything else is. I also am not a fan of reused characters from other campaigns. I'm also not nuts about Homebrew stuff because a lot of it is a bit too "out there" for me, unless it is well built/balanced and makes sense. (I know, kinda hypocritical considering everything else in D&D, but you know what I mean.)

I'm open to any LA +0 race. If you have a really strong case for using an LA +1 race I will listen, but I will be biased toward LA +0 races. However if you're willing to work with me to nerf some aspect of an LA+1 race to make it LA+0 I am willing to work with you on that. Also if you feel like it and have the time, skim through some of the adventure threads, particularly the Prologue thread, to get a feel for what's going on and who your comrades are.

The game is played by 2 groups of four. The other three in Group 1 are a male human barb/rogue who will be handling roguish tasks and can hold his own in combat; a male human ranger, who is focusing more on melee and plans (IIRC) on going into a knightly prestige class; and a male human wizard who specializes in conjuration.

As you can see, group 1 is lacking in divine/healing types. (The old character was a bard built for healing, and the character before that [who never saw play] was a dwarf cleric.) This group is made up of more civilized characters who are comfortable in cities and that sort of thing. A hardcore divine type would be more useful than one who dabbles, as there will be times when it might be necessary to heal disease/poison/negative energy damage and stuff.

The other characters in Group 2 are an orc barbarian/spirit shaman, a neanderthal ranger, and a human fighter/rogue. As you can see the group lacks any arcane power but truth be told I can work around that. Make what you want but I do believe that this group has quite enough martial power, so martial-focused characters might be a bit redundant. The character being replaced for Group 2 was a druid, but don't let that color what you decide to build.

**I don't really want fighters or other primary martial characters...both groups have enough of that. Some martial power is ok but these new characters should be able to fulfill other roles too that the groups are lacking. So, specifically I am not looking for fighters, rangers, knights and others of that type as current players fulfill that. Duskblades etc. are ok since they can do other things too. Just don't want a party to have all physical and no magical prowess.

Both groups are currently traveling to their respective missions. Group 1 is heading to an ancient ruin in the middle of a huge inhospitable swamp to investigate what is going on with an archaeology/research team that went silent. Group 2 is trudging overland to a small frontier city to try and straighten out why barbarians and other native North inhabitants are attacking more frequently.

Character creation rules:
- Roll 4d6 6 times, drop lowest, reroll 1's. 32 point buy if your total stat mods are +3 or less or if you don't roll even one score of at least 15.
- starting level is 5, with 10,000 gp for starting equipment.
- Also, I won't be enforcing XP costs for item creation. Gold cost and time cost remain the same though.
- 2 flaws are allowed.
- Available sources include most anything published for 3.5 except: no psionics, no Eberron stuff (Even if something from Eberron that was later included in a Monster Manual), and no ToB. If you absolutely want something from Eberron or some specific setting, run it by me and if it's possible to de-setting-ify it, I might consider it. (However I put my foot down at no Changelings and no Warforged.)

I will allow 3.0 sources as long as it wasn't explicitly updated for 3.5. I don't want the Vow of Poverty feat from Book of Exalted Deeds though. In my experience it tends to cause more trouble than it's worth.
** I draw heavily from Frostburn and Stormwrack for this setting, and anything from those two books is definitely accepted/encouraged.
- Any alignment except evil. If you pick Chaotic Neutral I expect you to have a good reason for it, and at the first whiff of you using it to justify being "Chaotic Stupid" I'll make you change it. Also I *will* have people change their alignments if they grossly stray from them.

By the closing date I would like everything to be done including character sheets. The adventure is underway and as soon as you start you might be using equipment and rolling dice so I'd like whomever I choose to be prepared.

This is not a hack and slash game: there will be challenging combats, but not constantly around every corner; you will be RPing with your fellow group members a lot. If you're not into character development, roleplaying, relationships and stuff, this might not be the game for you.

Game Description:

The frozen isles of Drenheim in the icy northern seas of the world Akuroth have been somewhat calm for centuries. But now, trouble is brewing in the land of eternal frost.

Human and orcish barbarian tribes are showing increased signs of restlessness and unease; the beasts of the mountains and forests are becoming more aggressive and being seen closer and closer to civilized land; and even the peoples of the icy waters are chafing beneath turbulent waves, and sailors aboard frostbound ships report increased sightings of dangerous underwater beasts.

While the native souls of the north grow uneasy, more cultured inhabitants of the north seem unaware of any impending danger; except for Queen Eisa, ruler of the city of Scurdaeg, the greatest bastion of civilization in the north. The shrewd and insightful queen has feelers throughout the land, and her keen intuition tells her one thing: danger is coming. Danger, and change.

The queen has put out a call to any brave souls to act as her agents to discover the source of this lurking threat. However, even she isn't safe; treachery runs deep in the wild north, and not even her city nor her court are safe from it. For there are those who would oppose her efforts to bring law and order to the free but dangerous lands, ruled only by the biting north wind.

Who will step forward? What brave souls will act as the hands of the Iron Queen?

Last edited by KillerK; Oct 8 '12 at 8:22pm..
Silverwolfer, he is mostly melee oriented. Plans to go into the neanderthal-specific prestige class in Frostburn, if I remember correctly, which involves shapeshifting and melee I think.

Oldkingkoal, no problem with that at all. Potential there for abuse though.

you know, I was actually thinking of including the phrase "I will not make a Pup-pun" but thought against it. Honestly Ive just been looking for an excuse to draw up a dragon flavored Winged Kobold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Oldkingkoal, no problem with that at all. Potential there for abuse though.
Really, im kinda new to all this and ive been hearing alot of that about kobolds. I just like the races flavor, what is it people abuse with them?

Mostly dragon-blood stuff. I won't go into the details; you just write it up as you wish. I happen to like kobolds a lot, myself. They are fun little guys to play. And picturing a group made up of an orc, a neanderthal, a kobold and a human seems really amusing.

Oh and silver, I shot down your spirit shaman not because he was divine, but because he was a spirit shaman...I try not to have more than one of the same class in one group, to avoid 1) stepping on each other's toes and 2) having too much of the same thing.

Ohhh, yeah ive heard of that one, Noo, I mainly design my characters off of a look. The pic may take a while but I think I got something good in mind.

Posting interest for a Halfling Sorcerer aiming for the Frost Mage prestige class... would the flaws Pyrophobia and Whimsical be acceptable? I know you said Dand Wiki was good, I just want to be sure.

This sounds great, I was thinking of a kobold myself but maybe a goblin or something similar. Actually, if we get Catfolk with no LA, Catfolk is very tempting.

You say "most any" 3.5 books, but if you're not running ToB I should probably ask if Magic of Incarnum is OK. Whilst we're at it, Tome of Magic?

Well to be bruitally honest what I have in my mind, for a good solid build but others are already saying Hey i wanna be bard...

Bard/StormSinger An you got your perfect fit almost, for RP and actual interactions :S