Notices

Night Angels: From the Ashes

Old Oct 6 '12, 1:45pm
Resident Pyromaniac

Night Angels: From the Ashes

Night Angels: From the Ashes - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 4

I had an idea whilst discussing one of my favorite series for a game. As I am wont to do, I've embroidered on it a bit, and now I just need some players to give it that spark of life.

Warning: This game is going to be dangerous in the extreme. I don't DM with gloves on ever, and this world is a dangerous one. If you are faint of heart, this might not be the game for you.

[fieldset= Character Generation]Level: 8th (27,000 xp)
Stats: 36 Point Buy
Health: Max until 8th, rolled thereafter.
Wealth: 27000 gp
Flaws/Traits: No
Feats: 1 bonus feat at first level.
Races: You must ask, and provide reasoning, for any non-human race. Midcyru is a human society.
Alignment: Trustworthy. The High King has put his trust in you. He wouldn't trust someone obviously Evil.

Class Options: Tome of Battle
Warlock
Beguiler
Warmage
Favored Soul
Spirit Shaman
Shujenga
Duskblade
Rogue/Swashbuckler
Fighter/Knight
Fighter/Swashbuckler
Ranger/Scout
Monk/Swashbuckler
Sorceror
Bard
Barbarian

Game Description:

The events of the Night Angel trilogy took place over sixty years ago. A new High King, Brandon Gyre, grandson of Logan Gyre, was crowned earlier this year. The past few decades have been prosperous ones. However, recent events have the new king worried for his people. He has gathered a small group of elite people to combat these threats. Will they succeed?

Last edited by Techwarrior; Oct 15 '12 at 12:04am..
Hell yes, i am all in for a dangerous game....but i haven't read the books is that a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
The Leather thing was unintentional. Magic Leather is still DR/-, Plate and chains have a higher DR than leather types, by virtue of being higher AC value normally.
Well, it's more than just the leather quirk. It's how DR works that seems to be the problem. Under these rules, if you're wearing plate armor, you might as well be nude when facing someone with a mace or spear.

I think the effect you're after would be better represented by making all of the armor types DR X/-, and then adding a house rule that says they're only half as effective against certain types of weapons. That way someone wearing a Breastplate (Plate DR 5/-) won't fair as well as someone in Studded Leather (Leather DR 3/-) when facing a spear, but they will still gain some benefit for being armored. I mean, if someone swings a baseball bat at your chest in the real world, you are going to fair at least a little better if you have a big hunk of metal in front of you compared to a t-shirt, no?

I don't think the Magic bit is working the way you intend either. Right now, a set of +5 full plate offers no protection whatsoever against a +1 dagger.

true and it's one of the reasons I gave my books away as I was frequently on the move but last time I checked the experience table isn't OGL so won't be on the SRD.

The SRD doesn't have an XP table in it, IIRC, but yes it's 28k (1+2+3+4+5+6+7=28 - in fact, XP = 500L(L-1)).

RE the DR: The whole Defence Bonus/DR/parrying thing is cool and it will be interesting to see how it works out, though I agree that Plate giving 0 protection vs a spear and DR 8 vs slashing and bludgeoning (that's quite a lot) seems a little off what you're going for.

Hmm, I'll have to tweak the armor a little I guess.

Actually minimum for level eight is 28000, my apologies. I wasn't at my books at the time and did the math wrong. I'll update that momentarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Dog View Post
I think the effect you're after would be better represented by making all of the armor types DR X/-, and then adding a house rule that says they're only half as effective against certain types of weapons. That way someone wearing a Breastplate (Plate DR 5/-) won't fair as well as someone in Studded Leather (Leather DR 3/-) when facing a spear, but they will still gain some benefit for being armored. I mean, if someone swings a baseball bat at your chest in the real world, you are going to fair at least a little better if you have a big hunk of metal in front of you compared to a t-shirt, no?

I don't think the Magic bit is working the way you intend either. Right now, a set of +5 full plate offers no protection whatsoever against a +1 dagger.
Thats the thing though, if you were wearing plate and someone swung a mace at you, you were worse of than if you were naked. The way that bludgeoning weapons work made it a liability to wear plate. (Which is part of why the Jesuits were so successful.)

That might be more realism than is needed though.

I think it would depend where and how you were hit. Plate would have padding underneath it so at least some of the time, blows would be diffused across it - certainly weak blows. But yeah, too much realism is too much.

The only thing I would say is that maybe the DR should be reduced, but stack with other DR, or something like that. Right now, Studded Leather is going to be giving me DR 3 which is pretty potent for something which costs 25gp. Barbarians don't get that until L13! On the other hand, it does go hand-in-hand with the Defence Bonus, since I could have a +8 to AC instead, it's just that L13 Barbarians will all be running around unarmoured since otherwise their class-based DR is useless to them.

Still it will be interesting to see how this works out, that's for sure.

Armor rules have been updated.

Armor

Armor is heavy, designed to reduce the impact of incoming blows. Armor does not make it harder for someone to hit you, it just makes it easier to take hits.

Armor will grant DR equal to its AC bonus instead of providing an AC bonus. The type of armor will determine the type of DR.

Leather Armors (Leather, Padded, Studded Leather, Hide, Force Effects): DR/-
Chain Armors (Chain Shirt, Chainmail, Scale Mail): DR/Piercing
Plate Armors (Banded Mail, Splint Mail, Breastplate, Full Plate, Half Plate): DR/Bludgeoning

If the armor is magical, the enhancement bonus of the armor is treated as DR/-

DR stacks, if more than one type applies.

For example, Fred the fifth level Warlock is wearing a +3 Chain Shirt and is attacked by a peasant with a spear. The peasant can bypass the DR granted by the Chain Shirt, but not its magical properties or his Warlock granted DR. The peasant faces a total DR of 4.
Now Fred is attacked by Sir Aandilar with a long sword. Aandilar cannot bypass any of Fred's DR, so must contend with DR 8.
Finally Fred is attacked by an Ymurri stalker, this guy knows about 'witches' and uses cold iron arrows when shooting. This allows the Ymurri to bypass the armors DR and Fred's class based DR, leaving only the magical DR. The Ymurri faces a total DR of 3.

Hey, how come I'm the one getting pincushioned?
But yeah, having the enhancement bonus apply to all weapon types makes sense. I think you mean for it to be DR/magic, though... do you? It's fine without that, actually, since +1 weapons deal +1 damage anyway, balancing out the DR perfectly.

Well, with a Ranger|Scout and a Fighter|Knight, I'm going to take up Rogue|Swash, at least for a few levels. It's just too good to pass up on.