Old Oct 5 '12, 5:56pm
Young Adult Dragon

Heretics of Potential Wanted

False Prophets - Forum
Black Crusade
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Introduction

Greetings everyone!

As the game system should probably tell you, this is an adventure utilizing the rules and setting put forth in the Black Crusades core rulebook. The section players will be applying for is actually the module presented in the back of the book, though I intend to take it further with direction from the players and their writings. Applicants for this section will have the option of backing out or continuing on depending on how they like the story and style. I will rerecruit at a later date if required to do so.

As a game, I want this to be fun yet dark in keeping with the subject matter and I am really looking forward to looking over applications and seeing this get off the ground. Above all I want everyone to keep in mind this is a learning opportunity. I have not GMed this ruleset before though I am extremely familiar with the setting and have run games in all three of the other FFG core books. I will try to teach as much as I am sure I will be taught.

Over the course of this Ad I am going to cover these areas but will monitor this thread daily for other questions, concerns, and comments.
  • Applications
  • FAQ
  • Setting
  • About Me
  • Submitted Concepts

Applications

As far as applications go I am more concerned with an applicants ability to write than actual knowledge of the rules. It is to this end that I am going to request that not a single one of you actually roll up an entire character sheet yet. Instead, I would like you to "flesh out" your character first and you can do this by declaring your characters name, race, desired alignment, and Archetype; and by tackling these categories in a minimum 200 word summaries:
  • Physical Descripton
  • Personality/Motivations
  • Background

You may use whatever format you desire just keep it neat, please. All applications must be submitted in this thread by October 25, 2012.

I will keep a running list of what has already been submitted and reviewed in the OP.

FAQ
How many players are you looking for?
4 to 5

Are there any restrictions on Archetypes or Races?
All Races and Archetypes are available, but I will only take a maximum of TWO Chaos Space Marines.

What do I need to submit an application?
All that is required is that you own a copy of the Black Crusade rulebook and be able to meet posting requirements.

What are your posting requirements?
Players will be required to post 3 to 5 times a week Monday thru Friday in non-combat situations. Combat moves to once a day Monday thru friday until the scene is resolved.

Will you allow the use of material from supplements?
If there are any, some will be allowed on a case by case basis. Supplemental material will be mostly restricted to smaller changes as I do not have access to the books so all of the information will have to be quoted to me.

What level do the characters start at?
Level 1. Chaos Space Marines will receive the standard starting XP of 500 to spend. Humans will receive 1000.

Can I use a character from another FFG40k ruleset?
Yes, you may. There are rules for conversion in the Black Crusade core rulebook. I will handle this on a case by case basis as well.

If you had to admit one obnoxious thing about your GMing style, what would it be?
I have taken part in PbP for a while now and I am a stickler for posting format. I find that it speeds up the game and once everyone gets used to it, it makes the game much more enjoyable and reader friendly.

Setting

The setting for this adventure will be the Screaming Vortex as presented in the book. If players decide to stay on afterwards we can all work together to figure out where we want to go from there. Otherwise I will probably move to the Koronus Expanse or more likely, the Calixis Sector.

The following Acts will most likely see the characters in control of their own starship as per the Rogue Trader rules with a Chaotic twist. I intend on opening up the Imperium and surrounding territories to players once the Prologue concludes.

About Me

My name is Addison and I am currently playing in two other games and running another here on MythWeavers. I enjoy the 40k Universe immensely and have consumed most of what Black Library has to offer as far as reading material goes. Once upon a time back when I had money, I played 40k tabletop and had a lot of fun with that as well.

Nowdays I find myself more closely involved in role-playing; quite often as the GM.

As a GM I try to let fairness and an open mind reign supreme. I'm always open to suggestions and believe that we can always improve. I am particularly excited about this ruleset as it is the most different from anything FFG has put out so far in the 40k Universe and deals with some really interesting subject matter. Daemon weapons have been a curiosity of mine since Dark Heresy came out.

Another thing I am really interested in is the introduction Rituals. Back when WHFRP came out, Rituals were one of the more interesting additions and I cannot wait to see how they tie in to 40k.

As a writer I find that my style differs depending on the situation. If a group is in combat my writing becomes less descriptive and faster paced. The world of violence goes by in a flash and I try to tie that in. Whenever the characters are involved in non-combat situations I really strive to bring the world of 40k alive for the players. It's dark, dirty, and oppressive normally. This ruleset is still dark and dirty, but it lifts some of the oppression. I am really looking forward to taking a swing at it.

As always, here to answer any questions or comments. I look forward to reading everyone's applications!

Submitted Concepts
  • Hargoth Chaos Space Marine Sorceror Cain | Human Apostate Mordicai
  • Raveled Chaos Space Marine Champion Scardos Mendax
  • KaptinKyle Human Renegade Drake Flamehand
  • Ramaloke Human Psyker Hadria
  • Nasdaq Human Psyker Malzahar
  • Lagoon Human Heretek Sigismund
  • Voth Chaos Space Marine Champion Raum
  • Boddan Human Psyker Ankaro Bellock

Game Description:

False Prophets
A Black Crusade Adventure

All across the Screaming Vortex are locations steeped in thousands of years of slaughter, myth, and history. One such location is the Temple of Lies.

Once an Imperial ship of the line, the Light of Ascension is now a crashed wreckage converted to a blashpemous chapel bearing the marks of the Architect of Fate. In its corrupted halls, lunatic priests use the power of the Empyrean to produce prophecies both true and false from hoarded tomes of black knowledge. Some foretell times where great champions of Chaos will rise up and cull those who worship the Corpse-God Emperor. Others speak of how an individual might meet his or her storied and colorful end.

It is to this place that several unknowable Heretics have been summoned from across the Screaming Vortex. Each approached by an agent of the highest priest, Copax, the Heretics make way towards the temple with undue haste; each with his own depthless darkness, hopless mission, and unspeakable fears.

Last edited by Elemtael; Oct 25 '12 at 6:56pm..
Raum is done, though his backstory is a bit long. I'll try to clean it up and cut it down a bit. I might make a Heretek loyal to Nurgle because the idea entertains me.

GM, would you allow a Xenoes in this group? Thinking a Kroot.

What does the GM think of Deployable Minions (turrets)? Like 00 or 01 AGI and the player throws it somewhere (like a grenade) and upon impact, it constructs a turret.

@Raveled
I've already made several decisions limiting things that would make it a problem for the characters to enter Imperial space so I'm afraid the answer is going to have to be no. So sorry.

@Secutor
The rules for minions appear to be very exhaustive. That said I don't think a "minion" would be the proper term for a turret. I'd probably allow you to have a turret but it wouldn't be something that could instantly be constructed via a grenade.

@Nasdaq
It depends on what you are wanting to use. If the information pertaining to your query can be presented in its entirety, I will review it and make a decision.

How does one move a turret from point A to Point B? Does it deploy from a UAV (Which is another minion)?

@Secutor
I'd think you would have to break it down and move the components manually then set it up again. Are these serious questions or are you just messing around?

Probably both. I'm scrambling with themes and thinking of a FUN mechanic. Mostly it's Borderlands's Soldier and TF2's Engineer. I guess a fully gunned Servoskull would be better, but it's less distinctive. Of course, minimal or non-existent home made mechanics are ideal because things should always be RAW.

I'm just trying to think of something I HAVEN'T done. If anybody wants, I can pitch in insane ideas. And I'm working on stating down a UAV that drops a sturdy turret that's enough to endure the impact damage from gravity. (Technically a minion that carries minions.)

I would think, depending on the character and the size of the turret you might be able to carry it on your back. Plant it at the end of a hallway or something when you need to delay pursuit or lay down covering fire.

I'm considering picking up a normal or lesser minion in the form of a traitor guardsman for more or less that same purpose.

Blatantly thieving the very nicely done format of one of my fellow applicants! It just formats too nicely!

That said, I'm very interesting playing a sort of techno-wizard guy. Seems just plain fun.

Malzahar, Aetherimechanical Warlock of Polix
Basic Info
  • Archetype & Race: Human Heretek
  • Alignment: Unaligned
  • Pride: Logic
  • Disgrace: Greed
  • Motivation: Ascendancy