Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Oct 3 debate in review

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
What gets me is counting golf games when you are facing someone who is clearly taking less time off. If he plays golf with foregin leaders, how do we count that in the score of time on the job?
Which foreign leaders has he golfed with? He's under quite a bit of attack from within his own party for not building relationships with other leaders in Congress or other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
It really depends on who is in office. If its a Dem Republicans will slam him for slack work ethics. If its a Republican then Dems will reliably slam him for the same. I remember W getting criticized for his golfing habits too...and hes taken a quarter of Obama's golf outings in twice the time!

Factoid: President Wilson golfed an estimated 1200 rounds during his presidency.
Remember when we had a Republican president and the press bemoaned high gas prices constantly?

I didn't say he had played with foreign leaders, i'm just asking how the calculation process supposedly works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Remember when we had a Republican president and the press bemoaned high gas prices constantly?
Sure do. The good ol' days when the press cared....

For about twenty minutes. There was a lot of other things that went on and the press slammed. Hell, they slammed Bush for things that he didn't even have control over, like a governor refusing federal aid.

People remember what's important to them. I still remember a week early in Obama's presidency when he was trying to get combat casualties to pay for their own insurance (which would effectively bankrupt them, because nobody would take them) and EVERYBODY was telling him it was a bad idea, right left and center. Eventually, he came to realize it was either a. a terrible idea, or b. not worth spending his political capital on. I remember this so distinctly, and have had such a dim view of him ever since, because at that time I was working with those very combat casualties at Bethesda's surgical ward.

i suggest you check out snopes where this is listed as a false story about Obama. If you are basing your opposition to him on a conservative lie then you might want to reconsider your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
People remember what's important to them. I still remember a week early in Obama's presidency when he was trying to get combat casualties to pay for their own insurance (which would effectively bankrupt them, because nobody would take them) and EVERYBODY was telling him it was a bad idea, right left and center. Eventually, he came to realize it was either a. a terrible idea, or b. not worth spending his political capital on. I remember this so distinctly, and have had such a dim view of him ever since, because at that time I was working with those very combat casualties at Bethesda's surgical ward.
Remember when we went to war with Libya without Congressional consent and nobody cared?

That's a) not actually illegal and b) was the right thing to do. I suspect that's why no one cared