Try your hand at Incarnum!

Old Oct 7 '12, 3:11pm
Celerity Fusion!

Try your hand at Incarnum!

Incarnum: The Rending - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Oct 17 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Incarnates needed! Soulborn required! That's right, the time has come to dust off everyone's favourite supplement! No, not Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum! I know you've probably lost it by now, but just turn off the lights and follow the blue glow.

This is a brief one-shot to give people a chance to roll out stuff using Magic of Incarnum.

The setting is a world in which much is the same as in most D&D games, but incarnum is the only kind of magic known; there is limited spellcasting but it's all derived from the same source.

You play as L5 characters tasked with destroying the Necrocarnum Zombie(s) which have been plaguing your town, either because you're heroes or because the pay's good.

Most any WotC books and web excepts are open BUT no "magical" classes aside from meldshapers.
For full character creation rules, see here.

Game Description:

Alternate magic systems interest me. What if there was no Vancian magic, no Wizards, no Sorcerers? What if there were only - in this case - wielders of Incarnum?

Welcome to a world where one of D&D's least-used supplements takes centre stage. Here, all magic comes from the power of souls past - and future. What little magic there is that resembles "traditional" D&D magic will simply be a derivative of incarnum, drawn from the same sources.

This will be a one-shot game in which the players are called upon to hunt down a dangerous necrocarnate, designed to introduce people to Magic of Incarnum or give them a chance to play it, only for non-spellcasters and incarnum classes.

It looks at the moment like we may have a goblin totemist, an elven incarnate/monk, a shifter swordsage and maybe a skarn soulborn. Seems to be shaping up to be a rather melee-heavy party (though that was somewhat expected).

Of course, those are only the apps which I have any info on so far.

am sorry sort of dropping back in this having been distracted elsewhere, would you allow a yuntai with some trimming down to be +2 LA, if we toss the HD and the Feats, and maybe one of the skills it may make it managable.

Uhhh, a pureblood is LA+2, isn't it?

Edit: You did mean a yuan-ti, right?

Doh! Well... an anthropomorphic constrictor is ECL3 including 2HD, Str +6, Dex +6, Con +2, Wis +4, Cha -4, Nat AC +2, FC Barbarian, Move 20, Climb 20, Swim 20, and constrict and improved grab. They have a humanoid torso, head, and arms but a snakes tail instead of legs. It's actually a pretty decent ECL for what you end up with. *shrug*

Agreed, that is neat, but I know alot of DM's snarl when you suggest anything Anthro, as many them are just stright up abuse powergaming.

Yuan-ti is 4 HD and +2 LA, which makes it ECL 6. I think there's a Savage Species progression you could use if you want, though.

Anthropomorphic animals are OK, though they are a tad wacky; the massive Str and Dex along with Imp Grab and Constrict are pretty significant for 2 HD (and a +1 LA is it?). But hey, if you want, go for it.

Well That is why am asking if you are willing to gut it at all, once you remove the extra HD and Skill points, you have something more akin to a drow, when you compare abilities and LA.