Wiggly Wyrm

Small Men in a Big World - Step Forward to Volunteer

Small Men in a Big World - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e
Ad Closes: Nov 5 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Small Men in a Big World
A party of halflings sets out to rescue their kidnapped kinsfolk

Current PartyCloven "Guffo" Grainsburry – Lightfoot Protector (Ramrunner)
Altemen Tealeaf – Lightfoot Sun Priest (spazz451)
Camden "Hiccup" Barrowmarch – Lightfoot Protector (noobiegameplayer)
Smythe "Dirtfoot" – Lightfoot Rogue (sixgunninja)
James Lightfingers – Stout Rogue/Thief (Kerim)
Symond Athyew (Abelard) - Stout Sorcerer

Willing to take two more to make a maximum of eight characters.

Note: Playtest 4 is out and all characters will start using those rules now.

Current ApplicantsWIP denotes missing sections or listed as such. Others have all sections though feel free to continue to edit or add to them. I'll review them fully each time I choose players/characters

Barlow "Rabbit" Goodfellow (nolifeonline) - Lightfoot Sharpshooter - WIP
Rathdyn Olmsa - Stout Protector (Gingerbread)

Please let me know if you have added a character and don't see it added to this list within a few days.

Note: This game is taking rolling acceptance. We plan to accept no more than four players by the end of the first week (21st October) and then up to four more before the ad closes. We've decided to accept up to eight players for this game as that should provide more interaction whilst still being manageable.

Game Description:

The small village of Heawold is neither big nor special in any particular way. Whilst not prosperous the halflings who call it home are a generally very content lot. They live their lives busy producing fine wine and food that they enjoy as often as possible and occasionally trade to the dwarves of Nuledzar and the Goblins of Gorbul Town.

The dale they live in is quite safely tucked in between the Mountains to the North and West where little bar dwarves and the occasional grumpy giant live, the crowded trees of Ewnham forest to the East - the domain of Goblins but the have been peaceful for many years, and the cold broken tundra and forests to the south where very little bar tall and ancient trees grow and only the occasional bear roams.

However last night the village was raided. Sengo the sentry was struck from behind and sent tumbling out of his watch tower. The two nurseries-schools were entered and some sort of drugged rag was used on the inhabitants whilst they slept to keep them that way. All of the children around the ages of seven to fifteen and two of the nurses were taken.

Only those children whose turn it was to stay with their parents and those few in the small hospital remained safe.

A small party of villagers sets off to find and return the missing children and the two nurses. None has any illusions about the world outside the village being anything other than scary, unfriendly and outright dangerous. The furthest any of the villagers has been is to the dwarven city of Nuledzar’s outer gate or to the edge of the Ewnham forest to trade.

Last edited by Cyco; Nov 4 '12 at 12:47pm..
It's not physical age that makes an old grumpy goat herder. Attitude

And he's still significantly older than all those post war babies. 60-65 might more sense but its fine either way.

In that light I've made him an alcoholic and another section labeled "Encounters with Guffo", also I added a sheet.

Another thing that came to my attention: Carrying capacity. Small=half, but there's no mention of gear being less for small characters. I made the assumption that clothes, armour, the adventurer's kit(except the rope), bedroll, climbers kit, were all half weight and halfling sized.

Had a think and chat re this. Will meet your idea halfway for simplicities sake.

Will go with all wearable equipment, bedding and tents designed for halfling will weigh half the listed value. That'll include all armor, clothing, bedrolls, blankets and tents.

This means adventurer's kit will still weigh the same as will the climber's kit.

So food will way the same... whew... 38lbs for an adventurer's kit is suddenly looking kinda steep... may have to drop a few of those torches.

edit: Dropped Torches from Adventurer's kit and dropped climber's kit, replaced with a hooded lantern. Sure I could have dropped the 9lb jug of whiskey, or maybe the flask of whiskey, or flask of goat's milk, or the bucket, but those are all vital to the mission.

Important note re 'Connection to those that have been kidnapped or the reason why you are volunteering.'

I'm going to reiterate that the rescue of the children is of the utmost importance to the village. They will only choose the most capable most responsible and those with the strongest ties to the children for this mission.

Sending someone who is rather whimsical is not something they would do, nor (even though I like the idea) forcing someone they dislike to undertake this mission. It just doesn't fit with the adventure/concept/motivations.

We are okay with taking one character that either doesn't volunteer or gets rejected (this is likely to be the last selected). They would start by following the group and join up with them with their initial focus being to make it clear to the others that their help should be accepted. They would need to demonstrate useful skills and convince the others they are focused on the same goal, ie rescuing the children (or one of the kidnapped nurses).

So... would a cranky old alcoholic war vet work or should I tone it down a tad? I do like the church encounters because he can't deal with things emotionally, but the random displays of drunkeness may push it a bit over the top. In RL I can think of several drunkard war vets I would not want to put "in charge" of finding my kids, though if properly supervised I still have to admit they would probably be some of the most capable. Guffo would fall into this category, he'd only defer to a senior officer or somewhat to a man of the cloth so to speak. This is not to say I plan on playing him as yelling at everyone and being completely uncooperative, despite how much he'd love to crack some goblin skulls his priority would be getting the kids back. Why?....

...The connection I was planning on focusing on was Marissa's twin sister's kids. I could push it further and say she was one of the nurses. He'd put his life down for them without missing a beat, the other kids well... s'pose he should rescue them too.

I have the "Encounters with Guffo" listed as fairly extreme because that's what people remember. Would you send a drunk vet after your kids? Maybe after some deliberation assuming he was vouched for by the right people. This "vouching for" I'm assuming would come in from some people he served with during his Goblin war days.

If you have any suggestions to make things work I'll gladly oblige, except for NoobieGamePlayer, because he keeps trying to sit on, swat, crush with a boulder, and/or feed my halfling to dire wolves, in his game. It obvious that he's frustrated with Giddis' superb diplomifications.

No issue with your connection and as far as skills; being one of the few warriors that has actually seen combat and is still fit enough to fight is a very big plus for Guffo's inclusion. The few you need to convince would remember him before he turned sour. Is he going to be turning up to the town meeting drunk?

good point... maybe, well not incapacitated-Drunk, but I'd say he'd have a nip or two or twelve from his flask. It's hard to tell because he slurs a little bit from the multiple concussion/cerebral contusions received in combat before going into a coma for the last part of the war. Given the circumstances I imagine he's not the only one having a few drinks to calm their nerves, the town's major export is wine after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
Important note re 'Connection to those that have been kidnapped or the reason why you are volunteering.'

I'm going to reiterate that the rescue of the children is of the utmost importance to the village. They will only choose the most capable most responsible and those with the strongest ties to the children for this mission.

Sending someone who is rather whimsical is not something they would do, nor (even though I like the idea) forcing someone they dislike to undertake this mission. It just doesn't fit with the adventure/concept/motivations.

We are okay with taking one character that either doesn't volunteer or gets rejected (this is likely to be the last selected). They would start by following the group and join up with them with their initial focus being to make it clear to the others that their help should be accepted. They would need to demonstrate useful skills and convince the others they are focused on the same goal, ie rescuing the children (or one of the kidnapped nurses).
I imagine Smythe is one of the applications your referring to here, allow me to argue for myself. I wrote the "Stepping Forward" part in character, Smythe has a tense relationship with Waltin and is cynical about his motives. However, and I realize this is something I didn't include, is that (in my version of events) Waltin wanted him along because he has skills particularly the how to survive in the wilderness and how to track that will be important. It was decided that Smythe wouldn't be given the option to say no. In fact they underestimated Smythe, he would have volunteered if asked. He may get mean looks from the adults around town, but he gets along with the kids. But when someone wakes you up with a boot to gut and treats you as a suspect before commandeering your services, you tend to stop listening and miss things that you'd normally want to help with.