Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

United States Third Presidential Debate

Of course the real way to kill terrorists is to make sure people don't have a reason to agree with their ideals. But why work on that when we have so many drones?

That's not the general usage of the word anymore though.

Drones are cheaper and simpler?

I will say: Nothing has changed in regards to coming back as a veteran and then starting from scratch. I was a corpsman for five years, and now back in NY I'm redoing all of my work to get credit for any of it. Anatomy and Physiology even had to be redone. NY won't even recognize my tactical combat casualty care (TCCC) training, though it's Federally recognized. Though brought up in this debate, it seems to be a state issue, rather than a federal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdle View Post
Of course the real way to kill terrorists is to make sure people don't have a reason to agree with their ideals. But why work on that when we have so many drones?
Yes. This. No politician can actualy come to this conclusion for some reason. Kill the ones who are already, then make sure joining is unnecessary.

I think you need to go about it the other way around. Make it unnecessary to join, and then kill the holdouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
I think you need to go about it the other way around. Make it unnecessary to join, and then kill the holdouts.
Sounds good.

So, shall we begin to reinforce our preconceptions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Perhaps step back from your viewpoint on the left and wonder what about the last 4 years made them switch so drastically? If he had a record of success you wouldn't see type of swing regardless of however you feel about the right's opinion. The election isn't driven by hate, it's the natural and expected result of what happens to the incumbent party in a bad economy.
To me, Obama has had a record of success, but then I'm cognizant both of the Republican agenda in Congress to block any government business at unprecedented levels and of the willingness of the politicos on the Right to tell outright lies to get their way.

~*~

Romney's debate strategy has been extraordinary. He came out in the first debate denying that his comments and agenda of the last many months was his actual agenda, throwing Obama for a loop. In this debate, he played the moderate, keeping his tone eminently reasoned and neutral, making Obama look desperate as the incumbent tried to paint his opponent in more extreme light.

Romney came across as both knowledgeable and reasonable. I'm more concerned now for the outcome of this election than I was previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
So, shall we begin to reinforce our preconceptions?
I love the way you put that!

Yeah, I pretty much try to withhold any of my personal opinions on how they're doing. I am not an undecided voter. Tactically I think Romney didn't make any epic blunders and I felt Obama was a bit rude and snippy but I don't like him anyway so I'm not certain the average undecided will see the same thing I did. My hunch is that it won't change much really, Obama is sliding and has two long weeks to go and this wasn't the change he was looking for. Romney didn't deliver the death blow either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
Romney came across as both knowledgeable and reasonable. I'm more concerned now for the outcome of this election than I was previously.
Speaking as a foreigner and what's equivalent to a hard left on the US political spectrum, he sounded uniformed about the nature of foreign policy. He seemed arrogant in his assumption that nations should bend knee to the US, and overly simplistic in how he proposed to approach other nations. When he actually bothered to meaningfully respond to the questions at all.