Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

: Spellcasting Time in regards to balance?

That's true, but it can still be quite frustrating. I once had a fight between my Cleric and a Wizard/Cleric aiming for Mystic Theurge. You'd think the Cleric would have the upper hand, but my enemy used a Wand of MM and just gunned me down (some caveats apply, but the essence is that even though I only failed one or two Concentration checks, it bought enough rounds that I died from raw MM damage before I could take her out).

Coming back to casting times, I often wondered whether more powerful spells should have times of one or more rounds. To my mind, there's no real way you can rationalist a Fighter capable of hitting people with a big weapon, however good he is, with a Wizard capable of world-shaping magic. The magic should be way more powerful than the sword, but this doesn't lend itself to game balance. Having spells with very powerful effects but which are quite hard to make work could be quite interesting, though in D&D even just a one-round casting time can be significant since you don't even need people to ready actions to interrupt you.

Quote:
To my mind, there's no real way you can rationalist a Fighter capable of hitting people with a big weapon, however good he is, with a Wizard capable of world-shaping magic.
Trouble at Hogwarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Trouble at Hogwarts
I've always thought some modern firearms or the like might have solved the protagonists' problems rather better, but unfortunately that's (funny as it is) not a great counter-example. Firstly, the side with the guns have guns, not swords. Secondly, the side with the magic consists of Voldemort, not a Wizard with world-shaping power. I don't think he even has the requisite caster level to make a phylactery "horcrux".

Yeah, like most fantasy wizards, Voldemort trembles before the power of a high level D&D wizard. Or probably even a mid level one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Yeah, like most fantasy wizards, Voldemort trembles before the power of a high level D&D wizard. Or probably even a mid level one.
Or a teenager who never graduated wizard highschool.

To be fair, he seems OK at killing people. It's like he has unlimited Finger of Death. And... one Shield spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
To be fair, he seems OK at killing people. It's like he has unlimited Finger of Death. And... one Shield spell?
No-save Finger of Death. Harry just has an inherent Death Ward effect that nobody else has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
In 3.5, most spells have a casting time of one stand action, and a fighter who damages a wizard in the process of spellcasting merely forces him to make a Concentration check to retain the spell, instead of causing it to fizzle automatically. There is no chance of a spell backfiring if the Concentration check fails.
A decent fighter should be able to consistently deal enough damage to make a wizard fail most of his concentration checks, has a high chance of hitting the low AC wizard and only needs to do that a couple of times before the wizard runs out of hitpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
To my mind, there's no real way you can rationalist a Fighter capable of hitting people with a big weapon, however good he is, with a Wizard capable of world-shaping magic. The magic should be way more powerful than the sword, but this doesn't lend itself to game balance.
Why? I would think that shaping the world requires very delicate and easy to disturb actions, and require lots of energy and time. In my mind, a wizard in trance from his world-shaping would be an easy target and crumble under the first dagger that hits him. That doesn't correspond well with DnD at all, though.

I like the idea that a wizard would need to expend hp, take ability score damage or become fatigued/exhausted when casting powerful spells.