Wiggly Wyrm

Small Men in a Big World - Step Forward to Volunteer

Small Men in a Big World - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e
Ad Closes: Nov 5 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Small Men in a Big World
A party of halflings sets out to rescue their kidnapped kinsfolk

Current PartyCloven "Guffo" Grainsburry – Lightfoot Protector (Ramrunner)
Altemen Tealeaf – Lightfoot Sun Priest (spazz451)
Camden "Hiccup" Barrowmarch – Lightfoot Protector (noobiegameplayer)
Smythe "Dirtfoot" – Lightfoot Rogue (sixgunninja)
James Lightfingers – Stout Rogue/Thief (Kerim)
Symond Athyew (Abelard) - Stout Sorcerer

Willing to take two more to make a maximum of eight characters.

Note: Playtest 4 is out and all characters will start using those rules now.

Current ApplicantsWIP denotes missing sections or listed as such. Others have all sections though feel free to continue to edit or add to them. I'll review them fully each time I choose players/characters

Barlow "Rabbit" Goodfellow (nolifeonline) - Lightfoot Sharpshooter - WIP
Rathdyn Olmsa - Stout Protector (Gingerbread)

Please let me know if you have added a character and don't see it added to this list within a few days.

Note: This game is taking rolling acceptance. We plan to accept no more than four players by the end of the first week (21st October) and then up to four more before the ad closes. We've decided to accept up to eight players for this game as that should provide more interaction whilst still being manageable.

Game Description:

The small village of Heawold is neither big nor special in any particular way. Whilst not prosperous the halflings who call it home are a generally very content lot. They live their lives busy producing fine wine and food that they enjoy as often as possible and occasionally trade to the dwarves of Nuledzar and the Goblins of Gorbul Town.

The dale they live in is quite safely tucked in between the Mountains to the North and West where little bar dwarves and the occasional grumpy giant live, the crowded trees of Ewnham forest to the East - the domain of Goblins but the have been peaceful for many years, and the cold broken tundra and forests to the south where very little bar tall and ancient trees grow and only the occasional bear roams.

However last night the village was raided. Sengo the sentry was struck from behind and sent tumbling out of his watch tower. The two nurseries-schools were entered and some sort of drugged rag was used on the inhabitants whilst they slept to keep them that way. All of the children around the ages of seven to fifteen and two of the nurses were taken.

Only those children whose turn it was to stay with their parents and those few in the small hospital remained safe.

A small party of villagers sets off to find and return the missing children and the two nurses. None has any illusions about the world outside the village being anything other than scary, unfriendly and outright dangerous. The furthest any of the villagers has been is to the dwarven city of Nuledzarís outer gate or to the edge of the Ewnham forest to trade.

Last edited by Cyco; Nov 4 '12 at 12:47pm..
All fluff completed. Now going back to work on the crunch.

Rathdyn Olmsa a Stout Halfling Fighter
Background: (making one up here, subjecting it entirely to your fiat) Wildchild
Skills: Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Bluff
Trait: ("making one up...") Horse-play - Rathdyn gains a bonus on CHA based checks with non-hostile children.
Speciality: Survivor - Ever fall out of a tree? It hurts, you know.

Description: He's neither a man nor a child. A few facial scars from broken noses and incidental sharp objects bely a youthful visage. Rathdyn is also uncharacteristically strong for his age, and has been known to show off what tone he has. His hair is a mess he bands above his eyes with a leather belt. A perpetual grin is only replaced by grimace in the direst of situations.
Personality: To others Rathdyn is either charming or annoying. He tries to impress upon others his view of the world but does not like to offend. Still, he is an excitable one so going overboard tends to be the norm. Good at heart the youth simply expresses his opinions, even if to others they come off as evil.
Connection: Tommen, Sheira, and Lepo were his best friends. He'd never admit it to them though. Maybe it was because they were too young to care, or maybe Rathdyn felt a bit of shame for getting along better with children than adults. Regardless his heart belonged to them. Their smiles, adulations, and gumption were the world to him. They'd run day in and day out about the village causing mischief just to have a story for Rathdyn to hear. Now Lepo was missing. Tommen was inconsolable, completely devastated and listless. Sheira told Rathdyn he had to rescue him again, and bit Rathdyn's hand so hard she drew blood when he told her she couldn't come along.

They were too important to risk. He'd save Lepo himself.
Rumors:
  • While napping in the rafters Rathdyn heard about other gods beside Yondolla. At the time he worried if he hopped down and joined in he'd get into trouble. Still, what Rathdyn took away from the chat was different from Tealeaf. There are many gods in the world and Yondolla isn't much among them.
  • There once was a man who lay bleeding
    Whose life flashed before him fleeting
    With blasphemous words
    He struck pact with others
    And made a soul unleaving
  • The Dwarves who helped the village were in cahoots, cahoots I say, with the goblins! No I dun care ifin they lost as many as us. Nah sonny! You dun git it! Not ev'ry dwarf or gobbo, just the 'mportant ones. Ya see? No? Then git! Brat.

Just signed up and this game caught my eye. I'd like to join but I understand I'm late. I made a character I hope will work in that respect! Here's hoping, and cheers fellas.

Still time to join the game but the stowaway position has already been filled I'm afraid. Need to modify your application a little to make him a suitable candidate to be chosen once he breaks free of his parents grasp.

A connection that he gets along well with them is a start. The scar's comment is interesting, that shows promise, can you explain that? Also the way you describe him he doesn't sound all that capable, at least that how I imagine the elders would see him from what you have put down. Personality could work but an example of your connection and also you skill/talent/ability/willingness to protect the kids would make him more of a choice.

Also are you committed to being in this for a the long term? Play by posts games don't move that quickly even when people are posting a half dozen times a week and just want to make sure ya know what ya signing up for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
A connection that he gets along well with them is a start.
I don't know that there were any shared experiences between Rathdyn and others, but being a tolerable town rascal of sorts would be my leaning on this.
Quote:
The scar's comment is interesting, that shows promise, can you explain that?
I hadn't decided. I also imagined there would be more than one because he's not entirely cautious. The general idea is that a kid was in risk of being hurt and he took the hit for them. I.e. A kid fell out of a tree so he jumped from his perch to them without thinking.
Quote:
Also the way you describe him he doesn't sound all that capable, at least that how I imagine the elders would see him from what you have put down.
I rolled poorly so I constructed someone who could become a hero, but isn't necessarily one. He has all of the leanings towards success and the boldness to attempt the brave and prove himself. However I want to play that growth, I think it'd be interesting.
Quote:
Personality could work but an example of your connection and also you skill/talent/ability/willingness to protect the kids would make him more of a choice.
How much am I able to manipulate here?

Quote:
Also are you committed to being in this for a the long term? Play by posts games don't move that quickly even when people are posting a half dozen times a week and just want to make sure ya know what ya signing up for.
I'm actually mildly vetted in play by posts. Nothing amazing but I spent around 3 years on and off playing. Simply put i'm a newbie to this myth-weavers but not to pbp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerbread View Post
I rolled poorly so I constructed someone who could become a hero, but isn't necessarily one. He has all of the leanings towards success and the boldness to attempt the brave and prove himself. However I want to play that growth, I think it'd be interesting. How much am I able to manipulate here?
You know you can opt to take the standard array if you want it. Its 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgunninja View Post
You know you can opt to take the standard array if you want it. Its 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
I figured it was a one-or-the-other only proposition. Like how with survivor it seems to say "Take 5 or gamble on a d8 roll."