Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.


Social Justice in Schools

   
On the original topic:
As a father of 4, if I can't educate my children enough to explain posters in classrooms or ideas teachers have brought forth to them to my children's satisfaction, I have no business being a parent. I would actually prefer my children get as many points of view in life before they become adults as possible, so they are well-prepared for the variety of opinion out there. Sheltering my children from ideas is just going to hurt them in the end.

Socialized medicine:
Part of the problem with medicine in Canada is that a lot of medical people end up moving to the US, where they can make a poopload of money. I had a friend who was an ER Nurse in a hospital in Canada. She ended up moving to the US for double her salary. After a year, she had a hospital offer to pay for her entire med school to be a doctor. The one benefit of the US medical system is that hospotal can pay for the talent. One a major drain on Canadian-trained personnel (I've read Canadian nurses are among the best on the planet, I have no citation though).

But delays are mainly for electing and non-life-threatening issues. Stuff like Permanent Sugical Male Contracetive was a 14 month wait for me. Still like a huge absess that had me with a fever in bed for 3 days before I decided to go in was mere hours before I was on the operating table. My uncle had a "you might have cancer' thing, and he saw 6 specialists in 5 days (and it wasn't cancer). So yes, it has its negatives. But fi you really need medical care NOW, you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
So yes, it has its negatives. But fi you really need medical care NOW, you get it.
And aren't nearly as likely to need to declare bankruptcy as a result (or to rely on the assistance of charity to avoid that bankruptcy).

I'd call that one example of social justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
And aren't nearly as likely to need to declare bankruptcy as a result (or to rely on the assistance of charity to avoid that bankruptcy).
Well, all three of the above examples cost... $0.

Required drugs... those might cost a little, but its still less than the US. Mind you, since I'm on Blue Cross at work-

WHAT? Medical insurance in Canada? DAFUQ?

- since I'm on Blue Cross at work, I only pay the dispensing fee for drugs. So... $7 per prescription. And I always ask the pharmacist what the retail of a drug costs when I pay. My last one was for an excema cream, which normally would've costed $191.

Sorry, I thought it was implied.

*Aren't nearly as likely as similar patients from regions with US-style health care systems[...]

And yes, I'm also quite reasonably familiar with drug coverage issues in Canada, given my personal experience with the system over the course of my life thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Sorry, I thought it was implied.
A lot of people get the idea that socialized medicine would kill insurance companies. And yet they're still needed in Canada.

i live in the middle of the US, but because I am wiccan I have found that community support in times of need, or even many times Jobs were simply not available to me because the community I was in simply did not tollerate that which was outside teh mainstream, so teh cute little protestant girl could have a fundraiser and get money for her knee operation but if i were dying of some curable dread disease there would be no money raised and people would shake ther heads and offer their remorse in such a way as to couch in some words about how it was earned or deserved for being different.

Social justice is the opposite of that.

In the end I had to move in order to have decent employment opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Socialized medicine:
Part of the problem with medicine in Canada is that a lot of medical people end up moving to the US, where they can make a poopload of money. I had a friend who was an ER Nurse in a hospital in Canada. She ended up moving to the US for double her salary. After a year, she had a hospital offer to pay for her entire med school to be a doctor. The one benefit of the US medical system is that hospotal can pay for the talent. One a major drain on Canadian-trained personnel (I've read Canadian nurses are among the best on the planet, I have no citation though).

But delays are mainly for electing and non-life-threatening issues. Stuff like Permanent Sugical Male Contracetive was a 14 month wait for me. Still like a huge absess that had me with a fever in bed for 3 days before I decided to go in was mere hours before I was on the operating table. My uncle had a "you might have cancer' thing, and he saw 6 specialists in 5 days (and it wasn't cancer). So yes, it has its negatives. But fi you really need medical care NOW, you get it.
That's how triage works and costs are kept down; it makes sense. Care is prioritized to those with the greatest need, not the most money; social justice incarnate.

However, despite their being niches for insured coverage, they exist only so far as the government allows them to.

On the subject of 'brain drain' while it was once touted a concern, it now appears vastly overstated, particularly given the immigration of talent from other countries to Canada and in 2005 (and many years since as I recall), we had a net gain of physicians. I'm not sure on the nursing numbers, but I would surmise their figures aren't too different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
i live in the middle of the US, but because I am wiccan I have found that community support in times of need, or even many times Jobs were simply not available to me because the community I was in simply did not tollerate that which was outside teh mainstream, so teh cute little protestant girl could have a fundraiser and get money for her knee operation but if i were dying of some curable dread disease there would be no money raised and people would shake ther heads and offer their remorse in such a way as to couch in some words about how it was earned or deserved for being different.

Social justice is the opposite of that.

In the end I had to move in order to have decent employment opportunities.
Persecution complexes are cute. You got anything to back up the claim, or is it simply your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW Teczka View Post
You haven't read the cherry picked examples from the article, have you?
I have, and I stated previously that some of the examples in the article are examples social justice being taught incorrectly.

I'm not trying to play the persecuted victim, simply pointing out how the whole "the small community takes care of it's own" has some gaping holes in it. Frankly as I see it turning it into a personal attack on me says more about you than anything, unless you are suggesting this *never* happens to *anyone*.





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Blog   Myth-Weavers Status