Notices


Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.


US Presidential Election Results thread

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
If we can get them to be better (accuracy-wise and whatnot), then I'm all for 'em, but I don't like the civilian risk.
The problem as I understand it is not so much one of accuracy but of the policies of their use, particularly with regards to target confimation and the definition of 'enemy combatant'. Basically, drone operators are absurdly trigger-happy (with the blessings of their commanding officers and the administration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Basically, drone operators are absurdly trigger-happy (with the blessings of their commanding officers and the administration).
Some might disagree.
Like actual drone operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attikol View Post
This is where I get all my knowledge

KNOWLEDGE ROCKS!

I have no faith in Romney but he gets my vote because he is not Obama.
Then vote third-party, don't give your vote to someone you don't want to be president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Some might disagree.
Like actual drone operators.
I'm sure they do. But then I never said they were unworthy of being liked. Just that they don't tend to perform meaningful target confirmation (even as compared to other military operators with whom I have sometimes been known to take objection). I also understant that this problem has far more to do with their commanders than it does with the actual operators, but it is the operators who carry out the policies the result of which is indiscriminate murder.

edit: but let's not derail yet another thread with this debate and just leave it as a difference of opinion, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
You say you're young so I understand where the view comes from but from my experience it's not more and more solid, maybe the last few but there are certainly shifts anyway. From 2001-2009 the Democrats were quite Anti-War, that went away the minute it was Obama dropping the bombs. That's one easy shift to point out.
I'm with you on this one. I've been anti-war since I was able to form my own opinions with any rationality, and the fact that the criticism of the war stopped once democrats were in control of it was part of what made me switch from the Democratic Party to the PSL.

Unfortunately, I hate both major party candidates this year, but I'd rather have Obama than Romney. Romney and his party seem way too interested in my uterus, and while I truly believe that Obama's as much a corporate lapdog as any president's ever been, at least he doesn't want to control my body like the GOP does.

I'll be voting for Jill Stein this year, since most of what she says correlates with how I feel on issues, and the PSL wasn't able to get a candidate on the ballots in enough states to make any kind of difference at all. Jill Stein (And Gary Johnson, who's got a cult following.) might actually get campaign funding for her party, which still probably won't change anything, but I have to at least try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
I'm with you on this one. I've been anti-war since I was able to form my own opinions with any rationality, and the fact that the criticism of the war stopped once democrats were in control of it was part of what made me switch from the Democratic Party to the PSL.

Unfortunately, I hate both major party candidates this year, but I'd rather have Obama than Romney. Romney and his party seem way too interested in my uterus, and while I truly believe that Obama's as much a corporate lapdog as any president's ever been, at least he doesn't want to control my body like the GOP does.

I'll be voting for Jill Stein this year, since most of what she says correlates with how I feel on issues, and the PSL wasn't able to get a candidate on the ballots in enough states to make any kind of difference at all. Jill Stein (And Gary Johnson, who's got a cult following.) might actually get campaign funding for her party, which still probably won't change anything, but I have to at least try.
I wish I could vote for her . On that isidewith.com site, I got 88% in agreement with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
Unfortunately, I hate both major party candidates this year, but I'd rather have Obama than Romney. Romney and his party seem way too interested in my uterus, and while I truly believe that Obama's as much a corporate lapdog as any president's ever been, at least he doesn't want to control my body like the GOP does.
If abortion is your key issue yeah, I can see you not voting for Romney even if it's not likely to change it's legal status no matter who is elected. It's the Supreme Court that makes it legal, not the President, and there is little effort to actually change anything about it inside the Supreme Court by all accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
I wish I could vote for her . On that isidewith.com site, I got 88% in agreement with her.
I think mine was a little lower, but then again, I'm a few steps to her left. She'll have to do, though. Peta Lindsay's not on enough ballots, sadly.

I really wish that the socialist parties in this nation could come together and form one large party, but unfortunately we all stand for Socialism and Something Else, and nobody can agree about the Something Else part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
If abortion is your key issue yeah, I can see you not voting for Romney even if it's not likely to change it's legal status no matter who is elected. It's the Supreme Court that makes it legal, not the President, and there is little effort to actually change anything about it inside the Supreme Court by all accounts.
I wouldn't say it's my key issue. I don't side with Romney on any social issues, really. I find it quite disturbing that he couldn't immediately endorse the Lilly Ledbetter Act.

In addition, I'm a socialist. I want to see a slight raise in sales tax to cover Social Security, not see it privatized or butchered.

But let's not pretend that the Democratic Party's the only one that's switched almost overnight. How about the Republicans suddenly being the party of fiscal responsibility, after throwing us headlong into two no-victory wars without paying a dime, while putting in a tax break? How about the fact that we can borrow $800B to cover said wars, but we can't borrow $1B to make sure our veterans come home to jobs and good conditions? Whatever happened to "Support the troops!"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
but we can't borrow $1B to make sure our veterans come home to jobs and good conditions? Whatever happened to "Support the troops!"?
Which bill are you talking about?





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us