Steampunk and Magic

Old Nov 5 '12, 11:10pm
Department Head, TOAST R&D

Steampunk and Magic

Steampunk and Magic - Forum
GURPS
Estimated Members Requested: 5

About Me:

Hi, I'm Schilcote, and I've been GMing GURPS for quite a while now- and GMing other systems for even longer! I can generally be counted on for at least a post a day, often more, and I ought not have to drop any games now, since Real Life seems to have evened out for now. So don't be worried that I'll leave after you spent all that time and effort drawing up a sheet.

This Looks Interesting, But I Don't Have GURPS...

Woah, hang on a sec! One of the neatest things about GURPS is that you don't actually need the core rulebooks to play it as long as the GM has them. Instead, you can download the GURPS Lite pamphlet which contains the basic information you'll need to play, though you'll need some assistance setting up your character. The free, open source GURPS Character Sheet program will help as well.

Feel free to ask any questions you may wish.

Game Description:

Full title is "Steampunk and Magic, Mustachioed Mechanics, and Other Exotic Brilliances"

Vital Statistics:

System: GURPS 4th Edition (+Mass Combat, Magic, Space)
TL: 7
Starting Wealth: 15,000
Point Level: 125 (-50)
Estimated Length: Medium (>6 months)
Combat/Social: Balanced, biased towards social.

----

Since the dawn of time, a a minority of men have had the capacity to control forces far beyond their understanding. These men (and women, on occasion) are known as wizards. For the first seven-hundred years of mankind's development, the greatest wizards were in control. However, the Renaissance and the resultant disruption of the feudal system threw their power into question- many more people could perform feats of magic if they had the education. The magical kings men submitted to were nothing more than normal people who happened to be born into wealthy families. This coincided with the ascendance of King George I to the English throne, who quite frankly didn't care at all. Thus, Parliament became stronger, and soon the monarch was, though still influential, not in direct control of much of anything.

The year is now 1890.

Her Majesty the Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom has summoned a group of adventurers from around the world for an unknown, but urgent reason. You have responded to this summons.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGoblin View Post
Actually thinking of making a mechanical man. It's just that character creation always takes me so long for GURPS.
Try that GURPS Character Sheet program I linked above; it speeds up the process massively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reemos View Post
I'm pretty sure I could figure something out.
No problem, just thought I'd offer cause I know how tough GURPS can be when you are new to the system.

I am very flexable and adaptable when it comes to learning systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilcote View Post
Yup, sounds good.

Avian: I've decided to base your character on Ada Lovelace, if that's alright with you. Minus the terminal cancer, of course.
Seems a bit unusual for someone known primarily for helping to create the first computers to also be a wizard, but okay.

EDIT: I got to admit, I like the idea of my character being a daughter of Lord Byron, whether legitimate or otherwise.

@Reemos, something else I thought I'd mention since you said you wanted your mech to have a shield. The way GURPS is set up you can't actively block high speed projectiles. You can use a shield to block muscle powered missile weapons but other than using the shield as cover to hide behind GURPS doesn't allow you to block other types of ranged attacks. Just thought I'd point this out cause it isn't necessarily obvious. I didn't even realize this myself until recently and I've been playing GURPS for a while. Also, I think it's a stupid ruling, but hey, I didn't write the rules.

The battlesuit has DR 70 against peircing and cutting attacks and DR 50 everything else, so I'm not too worried about musket rounds. Also, Roit shields are available at TL 7, which do work against firearms.

Can you talk about the types of technology that will be available? I know, TL/7, but ought I to expect automatic pistols to go along with the clockwork golem and the similarly equipped battlesuit driver?

TL 7 Riot shields are essentially portable cover. You can't actually use them to actively block bullets. Essentially in GURPS you just hold the riot shield in front of you hoping the gunner can't draw a bead on you. If he does successfully shoot around the shield you can still dodge you but can't attempt a block. Like I said, I think it is stupid but that's how the it works unless the GM chooses to change it.

Also, what suit, mech, etc. are you using? That's the same stats as TL 9 Combat Armor.

Propter: Yeah, probably. Repeating rifles might fit better though.

I'll also note that I usually just ignore GURPS combat rules because A: they're designed for a tabletop session, and seem like they would slow down PBP massively, and B: I can't make a lick of sense of any of it. I usually just have you roll against the relevant whoop-arse skill, then if you succeed, a goodly amount of arse is whooped.

Interested. Thinking about a Hans Solo type character.