Steampunk and Magic

Old Nov 5 '12, 11:10pm
Department Head, TOAST R&D

Steampunk and Magic

Steampunk and Magic - Forum
GURPS
Estimated Members Requested: 5

About Me:

Hi, I'm Schilcote, and I've been GMing GURPS for quite a while now- and GMing other systems for even longer! I can generally be counted on for at least a post a day, often more, and I ought not have to drop any games now, since Real Life seems to have evened out for now. So don't be worried that I'll leave after you spent all that time and effort drawing up a sheet.

This Looks Interesting, But I Don't Have GURPS...

Woah, hang on a sec! One of the neatest things about GURPS is that you don't actually need the core rulebooks to play it as long as the GM has them. Instead, you can download the GURPS Lite pamphlet which contains the basic information you'll need to play, though you'll need some assistance setting up your character. The free, open source GURPS Character Sheet program will help as well.

Feel free to ask any questions you may wish.

Game Description:

Full title is "Steampunk and Magic, Mustachioed Mechanics, and Other Exotic Brilliances"

Vital Statistics:

System: GURPS 4th Edition (+Mass Combat, Magic, Space)
TL: 7
Starting Wealth: 15,000
Point Level: 125 (-50)
Estimated Length: Medium (>6 months)
Combat/Social: Balanced, biased towards social.

----

Since the dawn of time, a a minority of men have had the capacity to control forces far beyond their understanding. These men (and women, on occasion) are known as wizards. For the first seven-hundred years of mankind's development, the greatest wizards were in control. However, the Renaissance and the resultant disruption of the feudal system threw their power into question- many more people could perform feats of magic if they had the education. The magical kings men submitted to were nothing more than normal people who happened to be born into wealthy families. This coincided with the ascendance of King George I to the English throne, who quite frankly didn't care at all. Thus, Parliament became stronger, and soon the monarch was, though still influential, not in direct control of much of anything.

The year is now 1890.

Her Majesty the Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom has summoned a group of adventurers from around the world for an unknown, but urgent reason. You have responded to this summons.

----

am trying to come up with something but its thrown me, can you give me an idea about the setting, as i cant get my head around it. So we got a guy with a mech, who is walking around Victorian UK where magic is real as well? So the tech level is quite high for the period no?

Game sounds awesome however absolutely zero GURPS experience. If you wouldn't mind helping out, and once I get home from work tonight I can download the lite rules and character gen I would be glad to get in on this. How about a mad genius who rides around in a mechanical "turtle" with other creations walking around with him? Think popemobile with a warwalker guard.

How would everyone feel about a character-creating session? I've been playing GURPS for years and I think that PCs who have relationships with each other prior to the game are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
@Reemos, something else I thought I'd mention since you said you wanted your mech to have a shield. The way GURPS is set up you can't actively block high speed projectiles. You can use a shield to block muscle powered missile weapons but other than using the shield as cover to hide behind GURPS doesn't allow you to block other types of ranged attacks. Just thought I'd point this out cause it isn't necessarily obvious. I didn't even realize this myself until recently and I've been playing GURPS for a while. Also, I think it's a stupid ruling, but hey, I didn't write the rules.
You can't really move the shield fast enough to block bullets. You can use it in combination with other forms of defense (dodge) and get the bonus, but it requires the optional damage to shield rules to make sense. Otherwise a piece of wood stops a tank round.

I was thinking of making an alchemist type character. Using advantages to make brewing times reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
Interested. Thinking about a Hans Solo type character.
Ja, it eez fastest in galaxy!

Seriously, an airship pilot would fit well.

Wrath:

It's steampunk. The Basic Set lists the Victorian era as TL6, the Mechanized Age.

Chir:

Sounds okay. Shouldn't be too hard to put together as long as the guy himself is a regular human being (with high IQ).

Shawn:

I might start the game on the ride to Buckingham Palace. Actually, it might even start as "Hans Solo" flies around picking them all up.

Lamech:

Sounds good.

How a gentleman explorer with a dash of sorcery on the side.

As equally fascinated with studying the lives and habitats of rare creatures in exotic climes, as he is killing them and putting their heads on his wall so he can brag to his friends down at the club.

Sounds good.

Jeez, how many players have I okayed? Feels like six at least...

i think i will have to drop out dont have the time to get a char ready

@shawnh - once we get into the game forum I would be glad to participate on a thread of character getting togetherness. With the way things were going I was thinking of making myself the mad scientist that perhaps engineered your airship, reemos' armor, etc, not really combat oriented. Going to make him one of those really short guys with a disproportionately large head that goes around in a steampunk bipedal walker... or maybe quadpedal... walker and have a few clockwork walking cannons or such as bodyguards... maybe I can take the wealthy trait and be the mad backer of some secret "issue" solving group some of the characters start already involved in? yeah I know imagination running away with me here...

@chichirineko - OK by me but weight is going to be a problem on board an airship. My character's name is D. Ashley Rider (known as Dash to his friends) but you can call him Captain.